Nikon Capture vs Photoshop CS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgfriend

Dec 20, 2005
Pasir Ris
Photoshop CS can process raw so we do not need to use nikon capture to process raw in order to send to photoshop? :dunno:

TMC, do you think it is better to use Nikon Capture to process Raw and then send to Photoshop for further editing?

that would be better. NC will do up your RAW better, then convert to jpeg or tiff and send to PS for further magic

Which is better jpeg or tiff? Hehe sorry for asking too many questions.

Good day,

Both programs got its own niche; but I'm gonna get NC real soon for the fact that it was meant for NEF and I suppose Nikon knows Nikon best. IE, NC HAS to be the best convertor for NEF files.

Regards

sgfriend said:
Which is better jpeg or tiff? Hehe sorry for asking too many questions.

TIFF, of course. It's lossless as compared to JPEG.
Trade off - it takes up much more space.

yyD70S said:
TIFF, of course. It's lossless as compared to JPEG.
Trade off - it takes up much more space.

yah... for printing, print from TIFF files. for casual viewing, from JPEG would do.

Thanks for info.... that means I will use NC to process raw then save as Tiff and send to PS for editing then save as Tiff for printing and jpeg for vewing. Hehheh ;)

sgfriend said:
Thanks for info.... that means I will use NC to process raw then save as Tiff and send to PS for editing then save as Tiff for printing and jpeg for vewing. Hehheh ;)
No need to save as TIFF before opening in PS CS, just use the transfer option to send to PS in 8 or 16bit will do.

Sending TIFF for printing (<8R) will make a lot of shops in the long run kill your business. Believe me... I send JPEGs for printing already kena scolding liao.

espn said:
No need to save as TIFF before opening in PS CS, just use the transfer option to send to PS in 8 or 16bit will do.

Sending TIFF for printing (<8R) will make a lot of shops in the long run kill your business. Believe me... I send JPEGs for printing already kena scolding liao.

Just Wonder those lab using what format to cast Print?

From what I understand, a lot of the Fuji Labs do not like to print TIFF format because it take a longer time to process ... some labs will even charge a handling fee for converting your TIFF files to JPEG before printing them ...

RGDs

erizai said:
Just Wonder those lab using what format to cast Print?
I guess I wasn't clear enough, - <= A3, shops - aka KT, BM, Konota etc.

Lab to me means - >A3 printing, commercial large format, offset printing, which of course definitely will be able to handle TIFF.

i just got my copy of NC and i have to say it really does process RAW files much better than Photoshop does, but i guess that's expected since Photoshop is an image-editing suite, not a stand-alone RAW image program.

and espn, what do you mean regarding the "scolding" you got when you send JPEGs for printing? what format should i send my pictures in then? :dunno:

BTW How much NC is selling?

Waffle said:
i just got my copy of NC and i have to say it really does process RAW files much better than Photoshop does, but i guess that's expected since Photoshop is an image-editing suite, not a stand-alone RAW image program.

and espn, what do you mean regarding the "scolding" you got when you send JPEGs for printing? what format should i send my pictures in then? :dunno:

Waffle said:

finally! someone hit the nail on the head!
clapping.gif

as much as a lot of people dun like michael reichmann of The Luminous Landscape, do have a read at his primer for Adobe Lightroom? he made the comment dat Adobe Lightroom is an attempt by Adobe to built a RAW (albeit Adobe Camera RAW) processor from scratch as Photoshop was never designed to process RAW files.

all camera makers have some form of RAW programs. for nikon, NC is the best program to extract the max data out of ur NEF files. oh yeah, it can process ur JPGs/TIFFs and wat have u. however, i believe PS CS/CS2 is much better for JPG/TIFF/etc...

IIRC, NC4 CD boxed set was retailing for ard $170+.

By the way, has anyone tried tu use Apple Aperture's app to process NEF files ?

WoW :bigeyes: expensive software that works only on a G5 processor.

I did.

It is a really pro-programme, user friendly..:thumbsup:

To be frank, I can't achieve the colours that this programme can turn out for me in photoshop alone, would like to try on NC to compare.. (I think NC is more value cause of its price.. and it work on mac too..)

I got a chance to use it cause my company had one on Dual G5 w 1.5gb Ram. Bad thing is it had a very high system requirement. (at least a G5+1gbRam+ATI9600pro or equivalent)

You can use it to compare photo by photo and use 1 pix for target, then the rest of the pix's WB follow the 1st one.

Ah Tiong said:
By the way, has anyone tried tu use Apple Aperture's app to process NEF files ?

Status
Not open for further replies.