Nikon Capture or Photoshop CS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokokhua

Sep 2, 2006
Hi guys ... just want to know which one i should get to edit my photos. I already have Elements but it doesn't seem to be able to do some of the cool stuff that other people seem to be doing, e.g. burn/dodge, correcting perspective etc etc etc.. just wondering what the actual user experience is for both softwares. And oh ... any idea about the costs?

thanks a bunch ... ;)

I think Nikon Capture abt $200, Photoshop CS2 abt $1.2k. (if u are student u can buy the education version for abt $500).
U would need both, but if u shoot raw then get the Nikon Capture first.

wow ... that's a lot of difference! in your experience did you think it is worth getting the CS2 if you were not a professional photographer? i.e. like me ...

The two softwares are very different from each other and you cannot really say either or. Nikon Capture (NX is the latest version) is, i would say, primarily a RAW -> JPEG/TIFF conversion. As such it allows you to do adjustments to your photo (contrast, brightness, saturation, colour, curves etc etc) including some stuff that comes close to dodging and burning. Adjustments can be done to the RAW file BEFORE conversion and also to the jpeg files. But all adjustments are written into the RAW/jpeg file. NX is rather cumbersome to use with a lot of controls all over the place. Capture allows you also to operate your camera tethered and to load custom curves to your camera. Capture is specifically for Nikon cameras
Now Photoshop is a general graphic software not just for photography. It allows you to convert RAW to jpeg as well (through Bridge). you can do similar things as in Capture however not to the RAW file direct. In some cases it is more elegant in some cases not. In any case it is more versatile, specially with the use of layers that give you much more freedom in modifying your files.
before choosing one or the other you should understand what you want, because there is other software around as well.....
RAW conversion: NX is definitively better than photoshop, but then there are others such as Capture 1, Lightroom (currently you can download free beta version from Adobe), RSE (Rawshooter Essentials) just to name a few
Exposure correction: again i would guess that NX is doing a better job than photoshop but Lightroom (RAW and Jpeg) and RSE (RAW only) do a much better job in this
Actual graphical work on the photo such as dodging, burning, grey layers etc etc.: this is where you want to use Photoshop but also there are alternatives. Dont have the money? Download The Gimp for free! This software allows you to do almost the same as photoshop (not as refined though) and it is free....

wow ... that's a lot of difference! in your experience did you think it is worth getting the CS2 if you were not a professional photographer? i.e. like me ...
Compare with camera and lens, both Nikon Capture and Photoshop CS2 is dirt cheap. But bear in mind u would need time to "learn" how to use these software.

I'd say both software compliment each other.

Unless you shoot in RAW, else PS alone should be suffice.

thanks all ... all very good points that i have not considered before. i don't shoot raw and i didn't know that Capture/NX is essentially just for raw conversion. =P well, that's where i learn from the experts in this forum.

thanks michael for your recommendation. anything that is free sounds good to me. =) is the gimp hard to use???

thanks all ... all very good points that i have not considered before. i don't shoot raw and i didn't know that Capture/NX is essentially just for raw conversion. =P well, that's where i learn from the experts in this forum.

thanks michael for your recommendation. anything that is free sounds good to me. =) is the gimp hard to use???
But the New Nikon Capture NX is also :thumbsup: for jpgs too, with the U-point technology.
do read up more online. :)

Yup. If you're taking the effort to learn Photoshop, you might as well learn Gimp. Steep learning curves ahead....

but in terms of capabilities how many % can gimp replicate of PS? 70%? if so, then i'm more than happy coz i guess i will never use all the features in PS and if it's free, i think it's a no brainer.

adiemus, i like your "steep learning curves ahead" ... seems to be the story of my life since i start on photographer ... ha ha ha ... =)

jnet6, yeah ... i thought the U point thing looks pretty cool, are you using it too? i actually already own PS Elements and I found it "hard" use and control.

tried out the gimp last night ... it wasn't so intuitive to use but i guess if it's free you've got nothing to complain about ... =)

Status
Not open for further replies.