Nikon Capture NX2 serial updating problem

TMC

Sep 4, 2004
Beyond Space-Time Continuum
http://en.akihabaranews.com/68020/software/nikon-vs-software-piracy

Nikon has announced today that it would remotely disable unauthorized product keys for Capture NX, Capture NX 2, Camera Control Pro, and Camera Control Pro 2. Customers having trouble with their product keys are advised to contact Nikon’s customer service.

Nikon has announced today that it would remotely disable unauthorized product keys for Capture NX, Capture NX 2, Camera Control Pro, and Camera Control Pro 2. Customers having trouble with their product keys are advised to contact Nikon’s customer service.

The legit software is so reasonably priced. People can spend thousands for their hobby cannot spend just 100+ for the software? Only when these people have a concious then all of us will benefit. :cool:

actually, nikon has been doing it quietly for a while. AFAIK, NX2, when launched, will automatically check with the server online to see if your serial is legit. if it is not, it will stop operating. which is why it's a PITA, IMO, when buying NX2 second-hand cos u will end up running ard in circles trying to activate it. :confused:

So it is not possible to buy a second hand Nikon software (Capture NX, Capture NX 2, Camera Control Pro, and Camera Control Pro 2), as it was already registered under first user address, is it ?

So it is not possible to buy a second hand Nikon software (Capture NX, Capture NX 2, Camera Control Pro, and Camera Control Pro 2), as it was already registered under first user address, is it ?

it's like Win7 OEM - u might have to call/email nikon for a new serial activation. so you still can buy, i guess. just one more extra step if the previous owner has used it before lor.

IIRC, this "check with server when opening NX" started with the first gen NC NX 3-4 yrs ago. if u have installed NX before you will see halfway thru the installation, the program will dial up the server (somewhere) before continuing the installation.

same also for the new generation of photoshop. but their's not so sticky - you just need to remember to deactivate the program under "help" from your old PC before you re-install in a new PC. NX2 dun have this option.

Last edited:
finally remembered where i read it from. this is what Thom Hogan wrote on his website a couple of weeks ago. i just copied the relevant section for everyone's reference.

Nikon Illegal Product Key Messages
Oct 30 (news and commentary)--I keep hearing from more and more people hit by the Illegal Product Key message when upgrading their Capture NX2 or Camera Control Pro software to the versions released this week.

This doesn't actually mean that your Product Key is an illegal one. It means that installations using your number have exceeded some unknown limit or triggered something in your install configuration. Unfortunately, there are legitimate reasons to install software more than once: those of us who do clean installs of our OS and applications periodically to insure muck-free computers will run into that limit at some point. If you're an aggressive systems upgrader (e.g. get a new computer every year and retire your old one), you'll hit the limit, too.

Rather than do what other state-of-the-art software companies do (e.g. have interactive Activation servers and allow users to activate and deactivate products on their own), Nikon has a simpler system: go over the activation limit bar and the software won't install, period. The number can't even be reset by Nikon ;~).

The solution, unfortunately, is that you have to call Nikon support and prove that you have legitimate copies of the product. This usually involves providing both an image of the product case with the serial number showing and a copy of your sales receipt. If you upgraded from version 1 to version 2, apparently Nikon wants documentation for both those purchases. Upon doing that, Nikon will issue you a new serial number, and you can install using the new number (at least until you exceed the unknown installation limit again ;~).

But there are all kinds of sub-variants on a theme going on, unfortunately. Some of them are very customer unfriendly. For instance, I know of users who bought a legitimate version 2 upgrade from Nikon who are now being denied a new serial number because the version 1 that Nikon sold them an upgrade for was from an illegitimate source. In other words, Nikon is just now getting around to policing a problem they had a couple of years ago and you're out your upgrade money because they didn't do the right thing in the first place. That's so customer antagonistic, it's pitiful. Let's hope they change that policy fast.

I've seen numerous dismissive comments of my "Nikon is not a software company" post (see 2010 Archive Page), but to those people I ask this: is this really how you all expect a professional software company to run? Really? Be careful what you wish for, because if Nikon's policies are the expected norm, a lot of other software companies can lower their standards quite a bit and still keep you happy.

this problem is also documented on dpreview forums.

AFAIK, Nikon has been doing it for a while. fyi, so that those buying NX2, new or otherwise, face the same problem, you know you should call Nikon SG and ask them for the serial.

i am sticking this thread up for the time being until, if possible, new updates/patches solve this problem.

Last edited:
From my experience with CaptureNX2 software, during uninstallation process (in addition to installation process), the software seems to "notify" a central database of the uninstallation process via an internet linkup.

Perhaps, it is prudent to uninstall CaptureNX2 before doing a clean slate OS re-installation.

I updated from 2.2.5 to 2.2.6. No uninstalling, reinstalling, and no need to put in the serial key again. Went very smoothly.

...updated from 2.2.5 to 2.2.6. No uninstalling, reinstalling, and no need to put in the serial key again.

Updating from 2.25 to 2.2.6 is an incremental updating. Hence, no serial key input again.

CNX2 can be installed on 3 machines with one serial key (doesnt matter Win or Mac). If your installation exceeds these number of times, it will not activate then you have to call Nikon & tell them to reactivate the key. In my opinion, it is good idea to this before you do a OS clean install. I dont think the software notifies Nikon at the time of un-installation.

CNX2 can be installed on 3 machines with one serial key (doesnt matter Win or Mac). If your installation exceeds these number of times, it will not activate then you have to call Nikon & tell them to reactivate the key. In my opinion, it is good idea to this before you do a OS clean install. I dont think the software notifies Nikon at the time of un-installation.

nikonlensman, are you advocating installing on 3 machines for a one license software? That action is piracy even if you bought it legitimately. :cool:

I updated from 2.2.5 to 2.2.6. No uninstalling, reinstalling, and no need to put in the serial key again. Went very smoothly.

Same here. No issues encountered.

I don't think Nikon Capture NX2 has the 3 users 1 license like what we usually find when buying AntiVirus Software.

:think:

From what i enquired from NSC(i bought my copy online from Nikon), only 2 users on 1 login key allowed.

Its 2 machines not3. I was mistaken. From the Nikon USA website:
" Use the full version of the SOFTWARE (“FULL SOFTWARE”) on up to two (2) of your own computers upon valid purchase of a product key (“PRODUCT KEY”) for the FULL SOFTWARE from Nikon (TRIAL SOFTWARE and FULL SOFTWARE and associated electronic documentation, collectively “SOFTWARE”); and
c) Make one (1) copy of the FULL SOFTWARE in machine readable form solely for back-up purposes
."
Notice it says two own computers & it does not say the machines have to have the same login.
Hotwork77, I am NOT advocating piracy. I only got the number of machines it can be installed legitimately wrong.

Damm, it can not be installed in Mac OSX Lion!

Having the same problem with Lion. Even WT-4 cannot use!