Nikon Capture NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenglw86

Dec 27, 2006
Hi all, noob here. has anybody here used Nikon's Capture NX photo-editing software? how good is it compared to the other softwares out there? is it worth the money ($220!!)? and which photo-editing software would u recommend? thanx

Hi all, noob here. has anybody here used Nikon's Capture NX photo-editing software? how good is it compared to the other softwares out there? is it worth the money ($220!!)? and which photo-editing software would u recommend? thanx

Nikon Capture NX brochure is available from Nikon Imaging website. Performance of Nikon CaptureNX is demonstrated at own Nikon CaptureNX website and also discussed by Popular Photography, Earthbound Light website, Imaging Resource, Outback Photography,

In Nikon CaptureNX, you will be able to use the U-point adjustment (for RGB-HSB-BCS-red eye function) which is unique to CaptureNX, simple-to-use colour cast correction tools, shadow/highlights adjustment, RGB-based curve adjustment, LCH-based curve adjustment, high pass filtering and sharpening. These are in addition to the the usual RAW files adjustments like colour space (3 modes of colour space instead the usual two in the camera), white balance adjustment (4 different ways to set the white balance), exposure value correction, dust correction for RAW files, colour aberration control, lens vignette correction, lens distortion control (for pin cushioning & barrelling), adjustable high ISO noise reduction, colour moire correction, batch conversion function, RAW image management and many other functions. Features highlighted in orange colour are frequently used by me for NEF file adjustments.

What I wish that Nikon CaptureNX will include are magic wand selection, cloning tools, healing tools and watermarking. IMHO, it is worthwhile to check out Nikon CaptureNX and test run on the trial version before you purchase the proper version. I have tried the trial version and decided that it is worth to buy the full version. IIRC, Nikon CaptureNX is a non-destructive editor of the NEF file.

I like it for the writing back to the NEF... at least I don't have to contend with storing 50+MB sized PSD files...

If you don't play with RAW much and just shoot purely in JPG, I suppose Capture's usefulness may drop a significant bit (at least to me).

Capture still doesn't replace Photoshop in terms of image editting though. So in the end you might probably get both, like me. :bsmilie:

The U-point adjustment is really unique and quite cool, however i do not like that capture modifies the original NEF file, it means if you made mistakes then they are done, you cannot come back later and change back to the original file.
The other thing with NX is that it is slow and very awkward to use.
I played with the trial but would not buy it.

slow, but it gives you ultimate quality. its a good learning tool as you get to apply settings after a shot. its the best for portraits in my view since its U points allow you to easily select faces and backgrounds.

The U-point adjustment is really unique and quite cool, however i do not like that capture modifies the original NEF file, it means if you made mistakes then they are done, you cannot come back later and change back to the original file.

Edits on NEF files are fully reversible. If I am not mistaken, Capture NX saved the edited image on a separate file and leave the original NEF files untouched.

The speed is dependent on the system used. It probably took up quite a bit of memory. NX runs pretty smoothly on my Mac than on my PC which has much lesser memory.

BC

Then you surely must have not played enough with it. Yes it writes back to the original NEF, but that doesn't mean changes are irreversible. The Edit List is saved along with the NEF (resulting in a slightly larger file size, from 15MB -> 18MB for a 10MP image), so you can re-open it any time you want and easily uncheck the changes that you made.

I'm not sure what system you are running it on, but it performs decently well on my MBP with 2GB ram, and things would only get better with the universal binary version of NX set to release shortly.

i recently upgraded my RAM which improved the performance of my computer significantly. However i have not used NX since (that trial is expired....) so it may run faster with a better machine. At the time i compared it with RSP and found that it was running a lot slower and that the work flow was not as intuitive as with RSP.
Yes, there is a history. But what happens when you open the RAW file in another application? Does it read the original RAW or the modified version of NX? File size increase is actually significant 3MB on 15MB is 20% more, a typical sidecar file for RSP or Lightroom doing the same thing is only a few kb....

Im starting to love the U-point technology in NX. :lovegrin:
those who haven try it should try it now. :thumbsup:

I got mine from CP at $195.00. Its good for raw editing, but there are limits to what it can do, for example, you can't do watermark on it. I love the U-point too. easy to edit my photos. Now I spend more time infront of the computer...;(

I also love the U-point feature. However, I have not gotten myself to buy it yet... maybe soon.

I heard that Adobe has incorporated something similar to U-point into their Lightroom 1.0. Seems that Nikon got it right and Adobe is adopting similar features.

BC

waiting impatiently for Lightroom 1. Beta 4.1 did not have U-point technology...

waiting impatiently for Lightroom 1. Beta 4.1 did not have U-point technology...
so i guess the official version shouldn't have it as well... :dunno:

Lightroom 1 is already available on the adobe website, check it out =D

so i guess the official version shouldn't have it as well... :dunno:

Betas will not have the full feature set.

According to Thom Hogan, there is a feature similar to the control point in NX.

BC

bc,
can get in sgp?is it on sale yet?

time for me to shoot raw.:)

preorder of LR 1 has started, but i think download is only possible from 19 February onwards. As a RSP user i should get a free upgrade to LR1 but i have not received a mail with the download link yet. I expect that to happen around Feb 19, at least this seems to be message found on Adobe Lightroom Forums....
if Tom Hogan is correct then that's good news.... they have addes also a red-eye removal tool and a dust removal tool using healing and cloning technique (but it does not work as the cloning/healing tool in CS).
good news is also that you can install LR on two computers even with different platforms, sounds like you buy one license and you can install on PC AND Mac!
check out this web page http://www.seanmcfoto.com/lightroom/

Status
Not open for further replies.