Nikon & Canon upping price on 12 Jan 09??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
must be a desperate attempt to promote immediate sales......I don't think they would increase the price at present market conditions... the result will be negative considering that a major chunk of buyers are hobbyists, not Pro-s and they can and will defer the buying...
So I would buy it only if I need it now...

If JPY keeps strengthing against all other currencies, it will come a point in time that they will have to up the RRP to recover the losses in forex right? Let's all keep our fingers crossed that it won't be that soon... ;p

tamron and sigma alr up price liao. Heard Nikon is coming soon too. Canon still no news as of Friday. Its all due to the strong Yen.

Did some shopping yesterday... seems like Tokina prices up too.

Scarly after they get all these prehike sales jumps, they say "ah no need to hike anymore" Then we can all go LOL. :p

Singapore price should see a raise of about 12%

Based on a 6 month trend

Sing to Yen drop raise from 70+ to 60+ about 12%

And the same time

Euro to Yen drop from 160+ to 120+ about 19%
Pound to Yen drop from 210+ to 130+ about 16%
Aus to Yen drop from 100+ to 60+ about 16%

So, buy your camera now. :D

And I thought Singapore said that currency cannot be allowed to appreciate too much if not it will hurt foreign exports (like as if we had a lot of foreign exports), and yet Japan tackles the same problem by raising its foreign prices. Interesting.

And I thought Singapore said that currency cannot be allowed to appreciate too much if not it will hurt foreign exports (like as if we had a lot of foreign exports), and yet Japan tackles the same problem by raising its foreign prices. Interesting.

There is only so much they can do to lower their currency value.

Next step is to print more yen and throw out of the plane.

Bros, relak. Yes, Yen appreciating, but it doesn't mean yen appreciate all Jap goods must increase in price: Its a marketing gimmick to bring down customer's expectations of prices.

I just came back from KL and Penang and checked out the price of Canon 5d MII. It ranges from about $7440 ringgit or about SGD$3100 equivalent based on 2.4 xchange rate.(before bargaining)

More likely to be big scale marketing gimmick by oligopolies in singapore in an attempt to bolster prices so as to pay off the owners' good class bungalows and ferraris...

If camera bodies expensive in singapore, just drop by Msia get a same one with few hundred dollars savings for your next lens.

If lenses more expensive in spore, get it from HK or internet order, and save a few hundred dollars.

I just came back from KL and Penang and checked out the price of Canon 5d MII. It ranges from about $7440 ringgit or about SGD$3100 equivalent based on 2.4 xchange rate.(before bargaining)

now that u have checked, pls buy here... in singapore to support our businesswomen :kiss:

So, did the prices went up yet? anyone checked?

It's a demand n supply issue also. Depends on who have the capital to sustain this long drag. If prices went up due to forex, then consumer just have to reduce or cut in buying.

When demand went down n supply is overwhelm in the market, the manufacturer had to reconsider their propaganda. It's either they sell their stock @ lower pricing or reduce production n store up their current stock. Either way, they will make a loss.

But if they choose the latter, overhead had to be cut, retrench might be needed in their Japan factory. If the recession drags over 2 to 3 yrs, the company must have substantial funds to tie over the period or they will be needed to downsize. So, it's a long term affair.

If all of us don't buy @ all during this period, the price might come down unless the company decides to reduce cost n overheads in order to tie this through. If retrenchment is enforced, riots might happen. Then the factory might shut down to solved the riots first before operating again. All deliveries affected.

So, if anyone of us have cams or lens that need to be fix n require spare parts deliver from Japan, then u have to wait till the riot crisis is over before they can deliver theirs parts over. Happy waiting.

Not forgetting the freight cost ...oil prices are down but not the freight cost
Why not look into 2nd hand market - willing seller willing buyer:cool:

Not forgetting the freight cost ...oil prices are down but not the freight cost
Why not look into 2nd hand market - willing seller willing buyer:cool:

freight cost has been plunging for the past year. Alot of ships are hanging around...waiting for their chance to go into cold storage. =)

time to layoff getting camera and lenses. :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.