Nikon, Canon?? (Question)

kenzefizz

Sep 4, 2011
Hello everyone.. Im super new to here and super new to DSLR.. :D

Would like to chk wit you guys that will it be good for a beginner to start of with (Considering Model) - Nikon D7000. Canon D7, Canon 60D ?? Going with Lens 18-105 for Nikon & 18-200 IS for Canon.

Thx in adv and looking forward for advise. :D

Perhaps for a start, you might want to answer this question first:

Why you want to buy a SLR?

Both are good get a real dslr, not a compact that only look like one.

The learning curve would be slightly steeper with canon 7D as it is somewhat like a semipro model for crop sensor, nevertheless it would be a great buy if you are willing to learn and you might not need to upgrade so fast if you skills improved. 60D and D7000 are somewhere along the same level, to me a tad lower than 7D.

They have their own differences and you see what you need and what you can do without. Each model has their own edge over the other. E.g. 7D for its fps, 60D for screen, D7000 for it's good ISO performance and many af pts for its price range.

If you ask me to recommend you one, if you are not into fast action sports then consider D7000 or 60D. Go to showroom try and hold them see which model's layout suits you. If nikon, may consider 18-200 II too, seems to have good reviews.

Hello everyone.. Im super new to here and super new to DSLR.. :D

Would like to chk wit you guys that will it be good for a beginner to start of with (Considering Model) - Nikon D7000. Canon D7, Canon 60D ?? Going with Lens 18-105 for Nikon & 18-200 IS for Canon.

Thx in adv and looking forward for advise. :D

Both brands are good. Its up to you to decide what is your budget and what functions are important to you. Don't exclude other brands like Sony and Pentax, have a look at all the models and decide.

Perhaps for a start, you might want to answer this question first:

Why you want to buy a SLR?

I love the effect of the photo, which I thinking i could capture very good picture of my loving ones, overseas trip etc.. :D

I love the effect of the photo, which I thinking i could capture very good picture of my loving ones, overseas trip etc.. :D

Hello :) What is your budget?

Consider the qst Azedeee posted and read the sticky:

btw, next time, try to get the camera models right..

1. Do I need built-in antishake or not? I'm not sure if this built in anitishake really tt important..? Any advice?

2. Do I need video? Yes. I nd it :D

3. Do I need fast autofocus? Ermm.. Maybe?

4. Do I need an articulating (tilt and/or twist) LCD screen? Yes or no I'm fine with it. :D

5. Do I need an in-body autofocus motor? Yes. :D

6. What lens should I get? I'm looking at 18-200 :D (isit too over?)

- You may want to explain abit more on the "love the effect of the photo" as it may be just some misunderstanding....
- "A very good picture" can also mean different thing, it may be true that the equipment is important, but ultimately, it's the person behind the camera that create the picture.

The learning curve would be slightly steeper with canon 7D as it is somewhat like a semipro model for crop sensor, nevertheless it would be a great buy if you are willing to learn and you might not need to upgrade so fast if you skills improved. 60D and D7000 are somewhere along the same level, to me a tad lower than 7D.

They have their own differences and you see what you need and what you can do without. Each model has their own edge over the other. E.g. 7D for its fps, 60D for screen, D7000 for it's good ISO performance and many af pts for its price range.

If you ask me to recommend you one, if you are not into fast action sports then consider D7000 or 60D. Go to showroom try and hold them see which model's layout suits you. If nikon, may consider 18-200 II too, seems to have good reviews.

Thx for ur advice :) deeply appreciated. 18-299 is wat I'm looking for hehe..

Both are good get a real dslr, not a compact that only look like one.

Thx for ur advice :) deeply appreciated.

Both brands are good. Its up to you to decide what is your budget and what functions are important to you. Don't exclude other brands like Sony and Pentax, have a look at all the models and decide.

Others brands like? (which hv the feature of the 3 I mention.)
Thx for ur advice :) deeply appreciated

Hello :) What is your budget?
I mention D7 so it ard 2k-3k ba. :)

Based on your requirements, not Canikon but the Sony A55 should be one of the top cameras on your list :D

1. Do I need built-in antishake or not? I'm not sure if this built in anitishake really tt important..? Any advice?

2. Do I need video? Yes. I nd it :D

3. Do I need fast autofocus? Ermm.. Maybe?

4. Do I need an articulating (tilt and/or twist) LCD screen? Yes or no I'm fine with it. :D

5. Do I need an in-body autofocus motor? Yes. :D

6. What lens should I get? I'm looking at 18-200 :D (isit too over?)

- You may want to explain abit more on the "love the effect of the photo" as it may be just some misunderstanding....
- "A very good picture" can also mean different thing, it may be true that the equipment is important, but ultimately, it's the person behind the camera that create the picture.

Hmm.. I think it more like the detail which I just can't explain.. I'm nt those that look in all corner..

Maybe consider the bodies first....then consider what lenses to match up, it need not be a must to buy as a set. I am not saying superzooms are not good because I am using one but there are reasons why these superzooms are common on the selling list in this forum.

In some ways DSLR can achieve what normal point and shoot cameras cannot and that is more of able to have more manual control on the settings instead of the camera doing everything for you automatically.

If not in a hurry, then read up on basic knowledge on apertures since this will help you be more aware of the limitation of various lenses other than focal length. E.g. Why many ppl would drool over f2.8 compared to say f5.6.

I mention D7 so it ard 2k-3k ba. :)

You have quite a big budget. If you are going for either Canon or Nikon, the Nikon D5100 and Canon 60D Kit 3 fits into your bill. You will appreciate the swivel screen for video since you mentioned you will do video. Should be around 2k. Spend the rest on flash and accessories :)

What exactly is the effect you like? Need to get your expectation right, else you will be disappointed when you buy eg. a D7000 with 18-200 lens, and then find out that the pictures turn out similar to (or worst than) your friend's cheap and pocket size campact (eg. LX5, Olympus XZ1, etc.).

Note that SLR does not = good pictures.

Now you need to tell us what exactly is the effect you like, and we can advise you further.

Eg.

If you like foreground sharp, background blur pics, you can achieve that with an entry-level SLR body with maybe a 50mm 1.8 lens. The pictures will most of the time turn out nicer than a D7000 paired with 18-200 lens.

Hmm.. I think it more like the detail which I just can't explain.. I'm nt those that look in all corner..

I think you will have to pen it down on the details on this one...If it's the contrast/saturation that you are referring to, it can be achieved in Post Processing by playing with Curves, Vibrance, Saturation etc.

Last edited:

Can i ask what effect will the DSLR give you which a compact can't? I suspect you are thinking about the background blur effect.

Like what spree86 had mentioned, you can consider other brands like Sony and Pentax. Determine what functions you like to have. Also, do considered basic stuff like ergonomics of the camera. Is the size of the camera important to you? Do you like the feel of the camera in your hands and also the camera's user interface?

Got more models lar. A33, Pentax KR or KX

Hehe...more choices :D

End of the day, the usual advice will pop up: Head down to shop and try the cameras :)

Based on your requirements, not Canikon but the Sony A55 should be one of the top cameras on your list :D

Thx man.. :)

Okay if u are saying A55 Sony.. Wat about Canon EOS 600D or 550D..?

Eventually I'm looking at this 3.. But I'm afraid I would regret after awhile use when/if I'm more "".

Tt y after reading too many comment n review in here I decided to get the better ones.