Nikon Camera for Everest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsystem

Oct 6, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

This question came into my mind. Any one around here has been to Everest and brought a Nikon camera up there? I can only recall Contax being able to survive this kind of punishing condition.

lightning

Sep 2, 2004
Punggol
victor.shutterbug.sg
Hi,

This question came into my mind. Any one around here has been to Everest and brought a Nikon camera up there? I can only recall Contax being able to survive this kind of punishing condition.
Go for Mark Roger's photography workshop this Saturday @ National Lib.

jimmyc

Jun 7, 2002
Visit site
focus issue 13 Stefen Chow (using Nikon Cameras including a d200) to Mount Everest

David Chin

Oct 31, 2006
Singapore Central
I am not sure about digital SLR but if nothing else works, there is always the old Nikon F2 film camera which will definitely survive as it is completely mechanical and does not even have a built-in meter.

Yatlapball

May 13, 2006
Volcano Land
www.emotively.com
Yes... The manual cameras would work. But you are going to be have to be careful when handling the film.

How cold does it get up there? I ever recall reading somewhere on KRW (*muted laughter*) website that the D200 operates even in -40

If you aren't familiar with "metering-through-the-eyes", you would still need to use batteries of some sort to power up a meter.

Witness

Mar 18, 2004
www.maverickatwork.com
did stefen climb everest again? the last time i heard it was with the nus centennial expedition and the d200 wasnt out yet...didnt he shoot with an f80?

or is my information outdated :D

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
Hi,

Nikon's been in space!

nsystem

Oct 6, 2003
Visit site
Its F2 and F3, not sure about F4 or F5 or F6. Any one can add?

Stefen

Apr 26, 2003
Beijing
www.stefenchow.com
Hey all,

Just to clarify, I shot Everest (to the top) with Nikon film based SLRs and Contax cameras.

Though the digital systems are really well built nowadays, I still wouldn't trust them on those extreme situations.

I guess you can bring a digital system anywhere else nowadays.

Thanks,

Stefen

eyes

Nov 15, 2003
Australia
www.aljazeera.net
Hey all,

Just to clarify, I shot Everest (to the top) with Nikon film based SLRs and Contax cameras.

Though the digital systems are really well built nowadays, I still wouldn't trust them on those extreme situations.

I guess you can bring a digital system anywhere else nowadays.

Thanks,

Stefen
Same sentiments. A thousand resistors/ ICs/ BGA/ RAM/ ROM/ LEDs... just take 2 or 3 components to fail outside it's working temperature will mean no photos- not to mention mediocre battery life at sub zero.

Nothing beats a manual up there, at least if it gets stuck, there's always a hot stove later on and some animal fats to grease the fella.

A wide prime would serve us well.

:)

kenkoh

Nov 11, 2005
adventurenomad.blogspot.com
Its F2 and F3, not sure about F4 or F5 or F6. Any one can add?
Are you climbing or trekking? I took an F4 trekking to Kala Patar in the mid-90s (but it was a heavy beast). I wouldn't hesitate to bring a D200 or D80 today.

Flickr photographer Ethan Gutmann took a D80 to the summit of Ama Dablam. I emailed him: he had no problems with it and said that there are plenty of teahouses to recharge batteries.

If you are climbing though, that's a whole different ball game. I took an FE with a 28-70mm in an unsuccessful bid to solo Pisang in 1988. I'm older now and not as strong as I used to be. The weight of the camera is more critical and I doubt I would want to mess about with swapping out cold batteries for warm ones on a DSLR. Today, I would take a pocketable water-resistant compact digital point and shoot and leave the DSLR at base camp.

Stefen Chow seems to have good experience here. Or you could google Nikon photographers like Jimmy Chin, Jake Norton, Dan Bailey or Beth Wald to see their equipment choices.

Good luck!

Stefen

Apr 26, 2003
Beijing
www.stefenchow.com
alternatively you could load yourself with one of the good film fixed lens P n S.

I have played with the Contax T2, T3, Minolta TC-1, Hasselblad Xpan all work well on those conditions and produce images with better latitude than most portable digitals. These are lighter but all of them discontinued due to the niche demand for them.

Whether it is trekking or climbing Everest, you must remember that a big camera weighs like a yak after 8 hours of walking. It takes quite a bit of discipline to actually hang a SLR off your neck.

Ken has suggested some really good photographers, and I will add my favourite, Gordon Wiltsie to the list as well.

kenkoh

Nov 11, 2005
adventurenomad.blogspot.com
...Ken has suggested some really good photographers, and I will add my favourite, Gordon Wiltsie to the list as well.
Stefen: Thanks for the tip on Gordon Wiltsie. Interesting guy. I'm ordering his book - To The Ends Of The Earth.

Stefen

Apr 26, 2003
Beijing
www.stefenchow.com
yup, he is a really interesting guy.

takes pictures better than his writings though, in my opinion.

I have his book too, and I love the shots he took on his pole trips.

chisiang

Oct 3, 2004
Ho Chi Minh City
www.swog.sg
I dunno what altitude will do to a camera but as long as temperature is concerned, I've brought my D70 to Harbin in minus 35 Deg celcius and it still works like wonders! Except battery is short live if not protected.

Your hand will probably freeze rock solid first before the camera runs out of batt :bsmilie: :sweat:

Shuttergraphy

May 17, 2007
Singapore, Melaka
www.flickr.com

Stefen
I'm always very impressed with the photography at such high altitude etc. its bad enough with the cold but couple that with exhaustion and lack of oxygen, it must be a massive effort on it's own (survival or picture, survival or picture...)

Then it crossed my mind on the temp and windchill you have to deal with, how you manage to change your film would be a wonder (maybe you load them in tent!)

Once again, congratulations Stefen...

Status
Not open for further replies.