Nikon body not compatible with other lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigletnpiggy

Mar 19, 2005
Hi,

Pls correct me if I am wrong, I understand that Nikon cameras can only use Nikon lenses.. is that true?

If yes, will that be limiting on the choices of lenses in the future and also prices of Nikon lenses?

Thanks for your input.

Hi,

Pls correct me if I am wrong, I understand that Nikon cameras can only use Nikon lenses.. is that true?

If yes, will that be limiting on the choices of lenses in the future and also prices of Nikon lenses?

Thanks for your input.

You can use an assortment of lenses made to fit on F-mount. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Vivitar, Voiglander and not forgetting Carl Zeiss has lenses that can fit on Nikon F-mount.

It's pretty much the same for other makes like Pentax and Sony (Minolta) which also have their proprietary mount. An exception is Canon EOS because of the large diameter design, there are third party adapters to fit other lenses on the EF mount but these are not endorsed by Canon.

Wait till u buy canon lens and cannot be mount on to canon camera body... :sweat:

*EF-S and Full frame body are the clues

Do you intend to buy up the whole range of lenses? Even the often maligned small collection of Sony/Minolta's lens line up is sufficient to cover most if not all required situations, so why be bothered by this, afterall there are 3rd party lenses in the market. If the Nikon range of lenses still cannot satisfy you, i'm not sure which other system can.

:)i think there are canon-nikon adapters etc... as well ...

Wait till u buy canon lens and cannot be mount on to canon camera body... :sweat:

*EF-S and Full frame body are the clues

Yeah.. I was thinking along the FD - EF, din occur to me that EF-S lenses cannot be mounted on FF EF-mount bodies.. :dunno: Not familiar with Canon system. ;p

All Nikkor lenses can mount on a Nikon body.
Can meter or autofocus or not is another story. :think:
All Nikon mount lenses made by Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc. can mount on a Nikon body too.
Nikon made a wide range of lenses for various usage. The only limit I find out is my wallet. :bsmilie:
All good and fast lenses are not cheap. Of course, there are some exception.

Thank you all for your info! :)

google for ken rockwell. think he's got a summary of the compatibility somewhere.

Sometimes, its not good to have too many choices.

Of course, the price will be higher because of the monopoly. It is marketing, but you don't see Nikon or Canon complaining about the uniqueness of their lenses. That's why got 3rd party brands that makes lens to fit the nikon and canon bodies. Why would you think Minolta or the others are trying to have a common systems, while Nikon, Canon do not want to do so? Yet, Nikon & Canon have the major share of the market.

... Why would you think Minolta or the others are trying to have a common systems, while Nikon, Canon do not want to do so? Yet, Nikon & Canon have the major share of the market.

Erh...since when the other Brands are trying to have a common system? Minolta/Sony is using Alpha mount, Olympus is using 4/3 Mount and Pentax is using K mount. I only know that the common system in the past was the M42. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.