NIKON Battery Question

pooh83

Sep 2, 2011
Dear All,

Which is a better choice ?

A 'chiong' battery replacement for current existing Nikon battery EL14 - OR a External Battery Grip for current camera ?

Planning to buy via DX

Thing is I always have low battery at the end of the day after shooting with my DSLR :(

Please advise.

maybe if you ask in the Nikon subforum there will be many more experienced Nikonians to answer you than in this subforum...?

Stop chimping after every shot...

EL14 battery are for use on entry level DSLR, Nikon don't design battery grip for these cameras, what you can find is third party made,

if you want to shoot longer hours, just get additional batteries,

using original or third party batteries is a choice, some say ok some say not, but one thing for sure is you will void your camera warranty if your camera is damaged by third party accessories.

pooh83 said:
Dear All,

Which is a better choice ?

A 'chiong' battery replacement for current existing Nikon battery EL14 - OR a External Battery Grip for current camera ?

Planning to buy via DX

Thing is I always have low battery at the end of the day after shooting with my DSLR :(

Please advise.

Even if you get the grip, it's doesn't solve your battery problem. You still have to get an extra battery. With my past experiences, original battery is still the best choice.

One thing to note. Nikon batteries are one of the cheapest among camera manufacturers... original vs chiong only save you a few dollars? and it is not something you will buy again and again... personally I would just buy original.

Agree with Mod DD123, get the original battery and maintain it well, it can last you for very long.

But online is selling so much cheaper leh... I can get 3 for 1 ... So tempted lol !

But online is selling so much cheaper leh... I can get 3 for 1 ... So tempted lol !

If you want fake, low-quality batteries that may leak, expand, overheat, catch on fire, go right ahead.

If budget is no problem... then get original ones. If budget is a problem and you can take risk, then go ahead get the chiong ones (some of them are actually pretty alright).

Then came the battery grip thingy... well... you just put two batteries into a single battery grip, in a sense it extend your juice... but that is approximately the same as getting two batteries, one dies, just remove that one and pop in a new one.

Actually if you are shooting thousands of shots a day, of course your battery go low at the end of the day, learn to think, compose and think again about your shots, rather than go trigger happy and fired at everything that moves and pray that something come up good at the end of the days, make each shot count.

If budget is no problem... then get original ones. If budget is a problem and you can take risk, then go ahead get the chiong ones (some of them are actually pretty alright).

Then came the battery grip thingy... well... you just put two batteries into a single battery grip, in a sense it extend your juice... but that is approximately the same as getting two batteries, one dies, just remove that one and pop in a new one.

Actually if you are shooting thousands of shots a day, of course your battery go low at the end of the day, learn to think, compose and think again about your shots, rather than go trigger happy and fired at everything that moves and pray that something come up good at the end of the days, make each shot count.

Miss those days a D100 with battery pack can easily last me 1000 shots without going flat.

Personally, don't advocate 3rd party batteries but to each their own.

Miss those days a D100 with battery pack can easily last me 1000 shots without going flat.

Personally, don't advocate 3rd party batteries but to each their own.

Isn't it the same now? My D7000 can last me about 1000 shots or more per battery too

Actually the D100 D200 cameras suck more juice than current day cameras. Just that camera nowadays come with much more features like liveview and video that requires more power. But if you shoot in the same way you shoot the sme way you do with the D100, i am sure the batteries are quite comparable.

Fyi for d700, i can easily get around 1200 shots on each charge.

D100 still not so bad, if you use D200 before, you will know D200 is really a battery sucker. need to bring three batteries to shoot a full day wedding.

D100 still not so bad, if you use D200 before, you will know D200 is really a battery sucker. need to bring three batteries to shoot a full day wedding.

The older CCD sensor is a battery guzzler... just like the D40x and D80.

thanks all for the comments,

With this, would anyone of the seniors got any good battery saving tips?

is it recommendable to turn on the camera only when you want to shoot and turn off when not in use right after ?

is it recommendable to turn on the camera only when you want to shoot and turn off when not in use right after ?

Stop chimping after every shot.

What is chimping ?

Don't go trigger happy and shoot at whatever that moves,

Plan your shots, think at what you shoot, make every shot count.

And by the way, chimping means a term used to describe the habit of checking every photo on the LCD immediately after capturing the photo.