Nikon, B+W or Hoya HD (filter or CPL)

HoKKienlang

Dec 25, 2009
Singapore
Dear Cser

currently I am using B+W filter, but would like to ask which is the above mention filter/CPL is better?

Tq

I use a Kenko/Hoya Pro 1D CPL and have no problems with it. If $$$ is not a problem, you can always get the B+W, which is widely perceived to be the best.

Nikon Filter & CPL are the best for Nikon lens. :bsmilie:

CPL Filter Test

UV Filter Test
Enjoy reading, define your budget and purpose, make your pick.

Do note that the new Hoya HD or Kenko Zeta (both are very similar - read "same") are not included in these tests as they are so new in the market. The HD/Zeta claims very high transmissions rates, and can withstand knocks and scratches, and are as easy to clean as uncoated glass. Of course, they are not cheap.

Don't believe me? Just watch the following.

[vid]cT6wBQR7iqE[/vid]

Do note that the new Hoya HD or Kenko Zeta (both are very similar - read "same") are not included in these tests as they are so new in the market. The HD/Zeta claims very high transmissions rates, and can withstand knocks and scratches, and are as easy to clean as uncoated glass. Of course, they are not cheap.

[vid]cT6wBQR7iqE[/vid]

Wah brother.. thats coninving sia.. :bigeyes::bsmilie:

Oh, I didn't know the Kenko Zeta are also same as Hoya HD. Means those also can konk konk konk with no problem lah :sweat:

I have a couple of those which I use for protector.

Oh, I didn't know the Kenko Zeta are also same as Hoya HD. Means those also can konk konk konk with no problem lah :sweat:

Bro you want to trying konking your Zetas? ;):eek:

Ooooooo! I orso wanna try!! Wildcat, can I borrow your filters?

Kidding bro!!! :bsmilie: Looking at getting some ND and GND filters soon...

Last edited:
Ooooooo! I orso wanna try!! Wildcat, can I borrow your filters?

Kidding bro!!! :bsmilie: Looking at getting some ND and GND filters soon...

For GND filters, do get a slotted filter system. You can't possibly be shooting all your landscapes at 50-50 composition right?

Wah brother.. thats coninving sia..
Actually I was able to somehow scratch my Hoya HD when I dropped my camera while travelling earlier this year. The glass now has one deep gash. So much for "indestructible" -.-

Actually I was able to somehow scratch my Hoya HD when I dropped my camera while travelling earlier this year. The glass now has one deep gash. So much for "indestructible" -.-

That must be one nasty drop. A normal filter would have shattered I guess.

For GND filters, do get a slotted filter system. You can't possibly be shooting all your landscapes at 50-50 composition right?

yeah, I hear you about GND filters - thinking of bracketed type - need to do a search on those. Wonder if the bracket types are a one-fit all kinds...

yeah, I hear you about GND filters - thinking of bracketed type - need to do a search on those. Wonder if the bracket types are a one-fit all kinds...
There are 4 sizes in the market, most commonly used is P. Tianya filters also come in P size and will fit Cokin holder .. and vice versa.
http://www.cokin.com/ico15-A.html

Thanks! Now I'm wondering if I should go for Lee or Chokin bracket holders, then hitech or Lee filters... :bsmilie:

Cokin P series, and Tianya are all 85mm filter width.

Hitech has 2 sizes, 85mm and 100mm

Lee are more 100mm in singapore. Lee has a 150mm width coming for the Nikon 14-24 FX lens.

Ok here is the thing. If you are shooting only from 12mm onwards on DX, 85mm is enough. For that get the Cokin P series holder. It is only a few dollars more than the Tianya one and is much better built. You can buy Cokin P, Tianya or Hitech 85mm filters and they will fit in the Cokin P holder. If you are shooting 16mm and above on DX only, get the Cokin P standard holder (3 slots). If you are shooting UWA 12mm onwards on DX, get the Cokin P wide angle holder (1 slot).

If you are planning to shoot UWA with DX below 12mm, I strongly urge you to get the 100mm filter sets. Holders that fit this size are Cokin Z series, Hitech 100mm holder, and Lee foundation kit. Cokin Z is very hard to locate. So you have a choice between Hitech and Lee. I would go for the Lee holder (I did recently and sold all my Cokin P stuff). Downside is the filters are not cheap. Some of the LEE high ND costs upwards of 200 a piece. Lee GNDs are around 100+ a piece. Hitech GND are around 70 a piece.

Also, with cheaper filters, especially Cokin P, if you stack filters, or use too heavy a ND, you can get some major color cast. There are workarounds to this problem. Check out my blog for more info: http://darthbertz.blogspot.com/2010/06/color-cast-problems-caused-by-nd-and.html

HTH

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful insight on the filters! I just came back from TK with the knowledge of prices on Lee / Hitech brackets and filters. I haven't made up my mind yet as I'm still searching the appropriate UWA lens (I'm a slow purchaser), but it's good to have a head start.

Also, your informative blog is a useful reading - highly recommended to those going into landscape shoots with filters.