Nikon Aperture Priority vs Portrait vs Manual mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

huoyun

Sep 24, 2006
Tampines
www.flickr.com
Hi guys, I was just experimenting with the above 3 types of settings.

1) AP
iso800
f/5
shutter speed set by camera = 1/2s

2) Portrait mode (all auto)
iso200
f/5
shutter spd = 1/60s

3) Manual mode
iso800
f/5
1/60s

All with SB600 mounted (auto mode). It was noted that there was a delay in the opening of the shutter only when using AP mode.

I have a few questions for the gurus out there:
1. Why is the shutter speed so low in AP mode?
2. For manual mode, the result is very underexposed, worse than AP mode even though they are of the same setting?
3. Colour saturation should not affect the brightness of the picture right?

Can anybody explain why? Thanks!

im not using a nikon, but i think i can explain some things..

you do realise that your aperture priority mode and manual mode are of diff shutter speeds right?

one is 1/2 and the other is 1/60

when in aperture priority mode, the camera tries to set the shutter so as to expose the image properly. the camera can even set up to 10s or more if in complete darkness.

do post pics so that we all can see and try to explain.

:)

in AP, you set the aperture and the camera will set the shutter speed to get the correct exposure...
if you have set the slowest shutter speed to be 1/60 (which is default in nikon- i think) then you will have that aperture you selected and 1/60 shutter speed if it is not bright enough.
the fact that you had 1/2 shutter speed means that you did not set the slowest shutter speed as 1/60 (meaning you have changed that setting)

in short, the shutter speed of 1/2 is the correct exposure for your f5 stop you selected in AP as calculated by the camera.
if you had set the slowest shutter speed to be 1/60 (default) then you will get an under exposed shot.

in the portrait mode, if i am not mistaken, the shutter speed of 1/60s should apply...
dun know why your settings here so different from AP.
unless you shoot in different lightings.

in M mode, you set both the aperaqture and shutter speed... so you choose f5 and you choose 1/60... not the camera choose...so nothing to explain.... :)

Hi guys, I was just experimenting with the above 3 types of settings.

1) AP
iso800
f/5
shutter speed set by camera = 1/2s

2) Portrait mode (all auto)
iso200
f/5
shutter spd = 1/60s

3) Manual mode
iso800
f/5
1/60s

All with SB600 mounted (auto mode). It was noted that there was a delay in the opening of the shutter only when using AP mode.

I have a few questions for the gurus out there:
1. Why is the shutter speed so low in AP mode?
2. For manual mode, the result is very underexposed, worse than AP mode even though they are of the same setting?
3. Colour saturation should not affect the brightness of the picture right?

Can anybody explain why? Thanks!

in AP, you set the aperture and the camera will set the shutter speed to get the correct exposure...
if you have set the slowest shutter speed to be 1/60 (which is default in nikon- i think) then you will have that aperture you selected and 1/60 shutter speed if it is not bright enough.
the fact that you had 1/2 shutter speed means that you did not set the slowest shutter speed as 1/60 (meaning you have changed that setting)

in short, the shutter speed of 1/2 is the correct exposure for your f5 stop you selected in AP as calculated by the camera.
if you had set the slowest shutter speed to be 1/60 (default) then you will get an under exposed shot.

in the portrait mode, if i am not mistaken, the shutter speed of 1/60s should apply...
dun know why your settings here so different from AP.
unless you shoot in different lightings.

in M mode, you set both the aperaqture and shutter speed... so you choose f5 and you choose 1/60... not the camera choose...so nothing to explain.... :)
above applies ONLY if he did not mount on to his SB600....
with sb600 mounted on turned on, the most probably case that you get 1/2 shutter would be either it is not connected properly or you have ur flash set under "slow" or "rear" sync...

Status
Not open for further replies.