Nikon announces Nikon D800 and D800E 36mp

Medium size file for d800 is 20 mp.... You can set it that way if you dont need the 36mp...

The small size is 9mp.... I just read this from other sites.

as expected, on pg 17, it is stated that only colour moire is removed in Capture NX and not luminance moire... as one can see in the comparison on the bottom left of the page, the colour moire is effectively eliminated, but the luminance moire is very much still present (although in this case, the pattern is not necessarily that objectionable, but that is beside the point)...

interesting that on the same page on the right, they suggest using a smaller aperture so as to induce diffraction which would help to reduce moire... of course, that is provided one knows there is moire there that needs to be reduced... and effects of diffraction would be on the whole image and not just the parts affected by moire... and the idea of using diffraction sort of defeats the purpose of using a camera without AA in the filter package for capturing more detail... YMMV

Last edited:
ISO: D800 VS. D700
T客邦 - 我只推薦好東西

Nikon-D800-vs-Nikon-D700-ISO-3200-comparison.jpg

Nikon-D800-vs-Nikon-D700-ISO-6400-comparison.jpg

Nikon-D800-vs-Nikon-D700-ISO-12800-comparison.jpg

Nikon-D800-vs-Nikon-D700-ISO-25600-comparison.jpg

Nikon-D800-vs-Nikon-D700-ISO-25600-comparison-NR.jpg

Check outthe night video @ 3200 ... even awesome
[video=youtube;BAhiRlv-jSs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAhiRlv-jSs&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Posts on DPReview says that the D700 shots were defocused so the D800 ones look better.

Yes, I was going to comment that the D700 photos look out of focus & the magnification appear to be different so how valid or meaningful are the comparisons.... To me both looked a mess :(

It may be the posters are not taking into account the higher MP means at 100% you see more detail than 100% for D700. At high noise viewing at 100% always look blur sort like what the d700 sample looks like. If you include a d300 sample picture heheh viewer would probably throw up.

Posts on DPReview says that the D700 shots were defocused so the D800 ones look better.

as expected, on pg 17, it is stated that only colour moire is removed in Capture NX and not luminance moire... as one can see in the comparison on the bottom left of the page, the colour moire is effectively eliminated, but the luminance moire is very much still present (although in this case, the pattern is not necessarily that objectionable, but that is beside the point)...

interesting that on the same page on the right, they suggest using a smaller aperture so as to induce diffraction which would help to reduce moire... of course, that is provided one knows there is moire there that needs to be reduced... and effects of diffraction would be on the whole image and not just the parts affected by moire... and the idea of using diffraction sort of defeats the purpose of using a camera without AA in the filter package for capturing more detail... YMMV

Yes, it is quite interesting to learn about using diffraction to eliminate moire. So, for me, I'll take 2 shots, one with the small aperture and one with the usual aperture for situations that I suspect there may be moire.

It may be the posters are not taking into account the higher MP means at 100% you see more detail than 100% for D700. At high noise viewing at 100% always look blur sort like what the d700 sample looks like. If you include a d300 sample picture heheh viewer would probably throw up.

Technically, we are looking at "noise profile at 100%", so the original poster did nothing wrong, and it really doesn't matter if the D700 image is slightly blurred, because noise is not affected by focus. It is the readers who need to bear in mind that it is 100% of a 36MP image and a 12MP image, which means, that the 36MP image will not need to be magnified as much (making noise more visible) as a 12MP D700 image, for the SAME SIZE output.

My own conclusion is that the noise profile of a D800 image is very close to that of a D700 image, even at 36MP. That means in REAL LIFE, the D800 is a much better imager.

Yes, it is quite interesting to learn about using diffraction to eliminate moire. So, for me, I'll take 2 shots, one with the small aperture and one with the usual aperture for situations that I suspect there may be moire.
yeah, as long as we are aware of the traits of our equipment and work with it, AA filter or not is just a choice to be taken...

After reading into articles of D800, I am no longer worry on its file size..
How many of us shoot in 14-bit uncompressed format? That would be the only mode that would give a roughly 75MB RAW file.
I shoot often in 36mp 12-bit lossless compression, it will only need about 33MB for each RAW file, that means what I thought of a 16GB card could only hold 150 exposures for each 75MB file, it can now hold 300+ exposures! Which gives me ample time to switch cards if I have to during events!

Your conclusion was almost the same as mine, I pegged from samples that the D800 is slightly better than the D700. We have gone a full circle here why ? This is what Nikon said in its press release - "The D800 has high iso noise profile the same or slightly better than a D700". We just had to work it out for ourselves.

Come march 3rd we will see what Cannon's answer is - strange thing they sent me an invitation for the event.

Technically, we are looking at "noise profile at 100%", so the original poster did nothing wrong, and it really doesn't matter if the D700 image is slightly blurred, because noise is not affected by focus. It is the readers who need to bear in mind that it is 100% of a 36MP image and a 12MP image, which means, that the 36MP image will not need to be magnified as much (making noise more visible) as a 12MP D700 image, for the SAME SIZE output.

My own conclusion is that the noise profile of a D800 image is very close to that of a D700 image, even at 36MP. That means in REAL LIFE, the D800 is a much better imager.

After reading into articles of D800, I am no longer worry on its file size..
How many of us shoot in 14-bit uncompressed format? That would be the only mode that would give a roughly 75MB RAW file.
I shoot often in 36mp 12-bit lossless compression, it will only need about 33MB for each RAW file, that means what I thought of a 16GB card could only hold 150 exposures for each 75MB file, it can now hold 300+ exposures! Which gives me ample time to switch cards if I have to during events!

Fine as long as you can live with 12-bit lossless compressed RAW, fine for me too because for me my RAW files are just insurance against accidental incorrect exposure and for creative re-interpretation during post. Some people *must* have the full 14-bit uncompressed RAW.