Nikon AFS 28-70mm f/2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kho King

Jan 20, 2002
shashinki.com
Anyone owned this lens? I just tried this lens yesterday in a shop. It is a 2nd hand lens...although the glass is ok, focusing is smooth, but the aperture ring is hard to turn. There is no click feel...and is really hard to turn. Is this normal for the AFS lens? I have owned some af lenses before, and I know some AF lenses do have louzy aperture ring turning feel (60micro being one of it). But the AFS 28-70mm that I tried is even worst. Anyone care to share your comments?

How about the AFS 17-35mm? I tried this lens too yesterday, shoot some frames but forgot to test the ring. 17mm is really interesting!

I have this lens, but to tell you the truth, I have never used the aperture ring to change apertures - prefer to use the main/sub-command dials. Since the aperture ring on mine is always set to miminum (since Day 1), i cannot give you an objective comment on whether its stiff, no clicks etc. I am travelling at the moment, I can check on the lens when i get back this weekend.

Agree with you that the focusing is buttery-smooth and the performance is excellent.

Every 28-70 AFS lens I've used has been fine with good clicky stops and a moderate tension that is positive but not hard to rotate.

As for the 17-35 AFS it's arguably Nikon's best ever wide angle zoom and blows all the competition away in terms of image quality. It's phenominal on the D1x and just as good on a film camera.

I just tested the 17-35 AFS again, the aperture ring is indeed good clicking feel. The 28-70mm AFS must have been serviced before or something wrong with it.

Thanks for your reply, Ian.

Originally posted by ckiang
Wait till you try the new 50/f1.8D. The aperture ring is crap, focussing is quite yucky too. I think it feels worse than the already-quite-bad 50/1.8.

Regards
CK

If the 28-70 AFS sells at the price of 50mm f/1.8D, then I wouldn't mind the crappy aperture ring feel. I am now sure there must be something wrong with the lens. The AFS 80-200mm that I tried is good clicking stop feel too.

Originally posted by Kho King

If the 28-70 AFS sells at the price of 50mm f/1.8D, then I wouldn't mind the crappy aperture ring feel. I am now sure there must be something wrong with the lens. The AFS 80-200mm that I tried is good clicking stop feel too.

It must be a lens fault. Even my AF 28-105 f3.5-4.5D clicks properly, so does my 80-200 (non-AFS).

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.