Nikon AFS 24mm f1.4G

choon wee

Nov 14, 2006
I got mine last week Wednesday in KL.

Here are some of the pictures of the lens, and a small comparison between Nikon 24mm f1.4 & Canon 24mm f1.4L Mark I. The comparison pictures are shot with aperture f1.4.

My own conclusion.
Sharpness:
Nikon has better sharpness. Canon is slacking a bit at f1.4, but with 5D II 21mp resolution, the amount of details captured is higher compared to Nikon 24mm f1.4 mounted on D3.

Corner Sharpness:
This area is not very important to me, but still Nikon is better.

CA:
Nikon 24mm f1.4 almost has no CA even shot at f1.4. I think Nikon's Nano coating does the job very well in eliminating CA. Only very little CA appeared at the extreme corner shot at f1.4. Not that easy spot the CA unless you look for it. On Canon 24mm f1.4L, CA is worst at f1.4. CA won't go away unless you stop down to f2.8 or probably more.

Bokeh:
I couldn't believe my eye when I first saw the bokeh produce by Nikon 24mm f1.4. It is creamier & less busy & harsh compared to Canon 24L Mark I. A 100% win for Nikon again. Canon's 24L Mark I has CA even in the bokeh.

Distortion:
I don't bother about it.

Flare:
I don't bother about it either.

Focusing Speed:
Nikon is slower than Canon. Yes. It is true. I was hoping that Nikon's 24mm f1.4 focusing speed will be on par with their 24-70mm f2.8 or 70-200mm f2.8, but I was disappointed that it is not so. Not that Nikon's 24mm f1.4 is annoyingly slow, but Canon 24L is definitely a tad faster. I'm abit disappointed on this, but D3 handle very well on the focus accuracy on this lens.

This is my own review & my own opinion. I used my Canon 24L Mark I for many jobs & I must say that it is a very good lens & I thoroughly enjoyed using it. Nikon's 24mm f1.4 is a newly designed lens & I wasn't surprised at all that in almost every aspects that Nikon's 24mm triumph over Canon 24L Mark I. I bet Canon 24L Mark II would be a better comparison against Nikon's, but unfortunately I don't have a Canon 24mm f1.4L Mark II.

4424955425_327bd446b0_b.jpg

4432885130_649effb79c_o.jpg

4432886578_86f692ab09_o.jpg

4432887700_3822d2e097_o.jpg

Thanks for sharing. I agree that most of Nikkor wide prime is slower than zoom lens even using af-s motor. I guess it is caused by the camera focusing system slower when we using larger f-stop.
Can show us more photos taken by this lovely lens? May i know how much you pay for it? :):)

Choon Wee, thank you for the test, more sample please :lovegrin:

Thx for the short and sweet summary review, may I know what's the price of it over at kl compare to sg?

Whoa, nice acquisition~ congrats :)

Tks for the short summarized findings, though i nt interested in this..:sweatsm: its nice to hear we prevails over our counterparts in most areas..

very nice...

thanks for sharing...

congrats on the new purchase...

Grats with the new lens. A lovely piece which I'd like to have, but no funds for. =(

The slow focusing seems to be present in the last 2 G lenses, namely this and on the 50 f/1.4G. Hope they rectify the problem before they release new lenses again.

Thanks for the review!

I bought mine for RM6500 from YL Camera located in Pudu Plaza.

I RM6500 a good deal?

considering the RRP, I would say that is a good price. congrats :D

please do show us more pictures from the lens if you can

Thanks for sharing.. if ppl here replied that yrs review not as accurate or comprehensive as DPreview.. ignore them.. ;)

Any idea any shops near to jb got stock this lens.. i can't wait to lay myself on one of this to try:lovegrin:

Nikon should have come out the AFD version as i believe the AFD has faster focusing speed then AFS in F1.4 1.8 lenses..

Last edited:
around $2,735.80 SGD? not very expensive than what i imagined

With reference to the RPR , malaysia and singapore prices.. most likely the lens would be retail at above 2.8k local.. i wonder how much a used 28mm F1.4 worth now?

With reference to the RPR , malaysia and singapore prices.. most likely the lens would be retail at above 2.8k local.. i wonder how much a used 28mm F1.4 worth now?

surely not $3000...haha ;)

Thanks for info and review. I just in love of this lens:heart::heart:
Everyday, i keep searching for this lens review. For me, it is first rate review.
Thanks brother.

nice!

i'm considering getting a copy soon

any bro here know where and when to get in singapore please spread the words around, i want to get a copy of this len as well.... :)