Nikon AF-S DX 12-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeng

Jul 21, 2004
Any bros have first hand experience with the AF-S DX 12-24? Please share, tks :)

What do you want to know?

Taking human being at WA, not recommended ... :(

For landscape ... okay lar :)

Have a love hate relationship with this lens :confused: its wide :) but sometimes u can get pretty soft results, not the sharpness that i was expecting :( .

But i must say its probably due to my lack of knowledge / inexperience. Still learning to improve image capture with this lens.

Here r some shots :cool:

temple_01.jpg

here's one of mine. taken @ 12mm if i remember correctly.

yogya_05.jpg

in the face of a lack of a ultra-wide angle solution (short of going the Canon FF way), the 12-24 is the best option IMHO.

geoyip - your shots look quite sharp leh, why do you say "soft"?

I have the lens on the D70. Find it to be quite sharp. But have to get used to doing perspective correction on Photoshop when taking buildings. Otherwise when taking a shot with too much tile over the horizon, the buildings will all appear to lean too much to the middle.

MTF charts showed the sigma lens (not Nikkor) to have optimum performance at f16 for 12mm, and ard f27 for 24mm. Sounds abnormal? 12mm rectilinear performance with only 0.2% barrel distortion at that focal length is actually not normal. ;)

So gotta stop it down.

Surge - your link is broken. can you pls check? Yes, my experience of the lens is that it is also sharp enough at F4.

Thank you very much for the invaluable comments and the shots. Very impressive indeed. :)

I must say, it has to do more with the photographer than the camera or the lens. :)

Read the comments by Bjørn Rørslett

"images were sharp corner to corner even at f/4. At 12 mm however, curvature might be a bigger problem and was readily apparent to give quite soft corners unless the aperture was moved beyond f/5.6"

At 12mm, f/11 and f/16 is the sharpest, but at f/4, it isn't too bad with a "Good" ratings. I've shot at f/4 at 12mm when I forget to step down. After postprocessing, it is not so significant.

KNIGHT ONG said:
Taking human being at WA, not recommended ... :(
Nope. It depends on how you use it. Don't forget at at 24mm, it has a cropped view of a 36mm which is used for full body portraiture. I have a few shots of people taken with the 12-24mm during Astin's shoot. Just search for it.

PS: Images are not loading up... :( let me reupp them. Please hold... (while we connect you to the next available server ;) )

Larry said:
here's one of mine. taken @ 12mm if i remember correctly.

yogya_05.jpg

in the face of a lack of a ultra-wide angle solution (short of going the Canon FF way), the 12-24 is the best option IMHO.

Larry Larry!!

Is It Borobodor in JorJorkarta?? I knew the spelling is all wrong but i really love to visit the place.... Sorry abt being OT

Just be careful at 12, apart from that, I think this is a rather decent WA len for a digital body.

jumbocrab said:
geoyip - your shots look quite sharp leh, why do you say "soft"?

I have the lens on the D70. Find it to be quite sharp. But have to get used to doing perspective correction on Photoshop when taking buildings. Otherwise when taking a shot with too much tile over the horizon, the buildings will all appear to lean too much to the middle.

Those were some of the better pics, but even for the above shots i posted, if u look at pic 1, the dragons on the roof seems to have loss quite alot of detail (due to softness?)

mikeng said:
Thank you very much for the invaluable comments and the shots. Very impressive indeed. :)

I must say, it has to do more with the photographer than the camera or the lens. :)

buy buy buy :D

geoyip said:
Those were some of the better pics, but even for the above shots i posted, if u look at pic 1, the dragons on the roof seems to have loss quite alot of detail (due to softness?)
Sigh, how can you judge the sharpness or details on a 900x600 JPG photo?!?Also, the sensor is only 6MP while the object has huge amount of information. Especially for WA, you cannot judge it that way as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.