Nikon AF 24mm f/2.8D

Status
Not open for further replies.

xylphz

Oct 27, 2009
Drop Weight Like Sin City
Hi does anyone have sample images taken by the Nikon AF 24mm f/2.8D lens from using any FX camera?
googled images all mostly landscape..

Would like to see you guys post any full body portrait shots before I buy as I need it
to judge the distortion whether isit okay for me.

HUAT AH! ;)

Perspective distortion will vary depending on how your subjects are being framed. If your subjects are near the centre of the frame and at a distance, distortion will be minimal.

Hi does anyone have sample images taken by the Nikon AF 24mm f/2.8D lens from using any FX camera?

Would like to see you guys post any full body portrait shots before I buy as I need it

HUAT AH! ;)

It largely depends on what kind of portraits. Like Kit said, if subject is centered at a distance then it's fine. If you take them at an angle, prepare for lots of distortion.

Perspective distortion will vary depending on how your subjects are being framed. If your subjects are near the centre of the frame and at a distance, distortion will be minimal.
It largely depends on what kind of portraits. Like Kit said, if subject is centered at a distance then it's fine. If you take them at an angle, prepare for lots of distortion.

So the distortion is control by the lens which has a built in function called CRC? If i'm not wrong?

No, you can only minimise distortion by having your intended subjects away from the edges of the frame.

CRC or close-range correction system is a lens design which aids focussing. Nothing to do with distortion control.

CRC (close range correction) is a "floating element" design technique to improve corner sharpness in lenses when focusing close, especially wide angle lenses.

Read about its history here: Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR - The Thousand and One Nights / Tale 14 : NIKKOR-N Auto 24 mm f/2.8

I have this AF-D 24/2.8 lens. You are right that most people, myself included, use it mainly for landscape and not portraiture. As 24mm is in fact super wide angle focal length by FX standard, distortion is to be expected.

xylphz said:

HUAT AH! ;)

Have you checked flickr.com?

Have you checked flickr.com?

yeah i checked the one trd2970 gave me, the distortion i see some users use for taking portrait shots is not that jialat as it seems. Unless its beyond 24mm and wider that would sound silly to shoot portraits.

yeah i checked the one trd2970 gave me, the distortion i see some users use for taking portrait shots is not that jialat as it seems. Unless its beyond 24mm and wider that would sound silly to shoot portraits.
You can also check 500px: 500px / Search

xylphz said:

People use fisheye lenses to shoot portraits also, with good results. The key is getting to know the characteristics of your lenses and use them to your advantage.

Kit said:
People use fisheye lenses to shoot portraits also, with good results. The key is getting to know the characteristics of your lenses and use them to your advantage.

Very true, theres no rules.
It doesnt make common sense to use a 70-200mm at 200mm to stand far far take a photo as well.. but PGs do tht..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.