nikon 85mm f1.8G

x0tiq

Sep 29, 2010
would like to know performance of this lens before buying it.
have read few sites saying that this lens focusing is a tad slow. can anyone confirm this issue ?

I feel it's fast enough for portraits

I think it's a great lens that's offers excellent value. Never had an issue with focusing speed. A big plus is the quiet focusing. Allowed me to shoot this candid of a friend.

$DSC_5234-1.jpg
D610 1/500sec f/2

trd - fast for portraits.
how about streets since subject is moving. would it be able to fast focus.

creampuff - thanks for the image. are there any more photos taken using this lens? you can even post images of your friend here ... :sweat:
BTW ... was this taken in-doors?

creampuff - thanks for the image. are there any more photos taken using this lens? you can even post images of your friend here ... :sweat:

I'm not really into street shots but if I were to do, I'll use a 35mm with MF lens and use the distance scale to estimate. That way it's the fastest.

Yes the shot was taken in mixed lighting indoors.
Basically pretty much any lens can be used for street shooting, just depends on what you are comfortable with and hoping to achieve. Here's another quick candid with the 85mm f1.8G. Whether your method is to pre-focus or rely on the camera's AF is really up to you. Find what gets you the most keepers.

$DSC_4831-1.jpg

No problems with the AF of the 85 f1.8G. In fact I am very impressed with the IQ and overall build quality.

Depending on your uses for this lens, I would think in most cases the AF should be more than fast enough on a Nikon. It is accurate and hasnt hunted for AF much, if at all.

It's going for about $580 brand new. For this price, it represents excellent value!

Focusing is dependent on a few factors.

- Camera body
- Speed of the lens (in this case, SWM is built into the 85 1.8).
- Lighting condition

It will definitely be slow in a super dim condition on a D3100. On a D4S, it will totally be opposite.

When looking at factors like speed, it's not always just about the lens. 'Slow' is very relative.

pretty impress with its AF capabilities and its output quality...
my boys are running towards me at full speed....

Static shots are great needless to say.. :)

great value lens I must say...
only question is... some websites I read declare it as a weather resistant lens... is it really??

Last edited:
Theres a rubber ring at the rear end so it may provide a minimal level of wr? I was telling a friend that I wont exactly shoot in the rain even when I have wr gear. Heh..

Nice shots of your boy!

Theres a rubber ring at the rear end so it may provide a minimal level of wr? I was telling a friend that I wont exactly shoot in the rain even when I have wr gear. Heh..

Nice shots of your boy!

Thanks bro...

Nikon REAL WR lenses can be trusted... I once shot in vietnam with d700 and 35 1.4G for a few days straight in down pour situations... came back ok.. :)

to all ... thanks for for all them replies and photos.
Im sold. And last 2 days I bought one as a gift for myself. Snap few photos using this lens and my oh my !!!
This little fellor rocks. Its sharp even at wide open. Loving it at an instance.
I don't know if this is normal. But each time when taking wide open at f1.8 it somehow gave me under exposed pictures.
I had to add 0.3 - 0.7 of exp.comp. each time at f1.8 .No biggie though.
Since few had shown their shots, I'll show you mine in a few days time ... hehee

@ blurboiboi - looks like your bois were having a blast there. Great photos too. Mind sharing the place?

to all ... thanks for for all them replies and photos.
Im sold. And last 2 days I bought one as a gift for myself. Snap few photos using this lens and my oh my !!!
This little fellor rocks. Its sharp even at wide open. Loving it at an instance.
I don't know if this is normal. But each time when taking wide open at f1.8 it somehow gave me under exposed pictures.
I had to add 0.3 - 0.7 of exp.comp. each time at f1.8 .No biggie though.
Since few had shown their shots, I'll show you mine in a few days time ... hehee

@ blurboiboi - looks like your bois were having a blast there. Great photos too. Mind sharing the place?

Yeah! they love water themed playgrounds haha... this one was on the roof of NEX shopping center at Serangoon... usually I will bring them to the kids playground at GBTB but last weekends roads there from the Eastern parts of Singapore are blocked because of Sea Games....

Looking forward to see your pics too.. :)

Basically pretty much any lens can be used for street shooting, just depends on what you are comfortable with and hoping to achieve. Here's another quick candid with the 85mm f1.8G. Whether your method is to pre-focus or rely on the camera's AF is really up to you. Find what gets you the most keepers.

View attachment 8112

Not so candid at all by the looks of this image and her face... lol... :bsmilie:

View attachment 8112

Looks a bit out of focus.

I think it's a great lens that's offers excellent value. Never had an issue with focusing speed. A big plus is the quiet focusing. Allowed me to shoot this candid of a friend.

View attachment 8111
D610 1/500sec f/2

Looks a bit out of focus.

pretty impress with its AF capabilities and its output quality...
my boys are running towards me at full speed....

Static shots are great needless to say.. :)

great value lens I must say...
only question is... some websites I read declare it as a weather resistant lens... is it really??

Focusing all good.

would like to know performance of this lens before buying it.
have read few sites saying that this lens focusing is a tad slow. can anyone confirm this issue ?

Number one; depend on the user.

Number two; depend on the camera body.

Number three; if it's no good, what else you going to buy? D series? 1.4G? Sigma?

seem like non of nikon lenses are weather sealed, as i emailed nikon thats the reply i got