Nikon 85mm f1.4 or 17-55mm f2.8

85mm f1.4 or 17-55mm f2.8

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes.. my cam is d300. im not intend to change to full frame just yet or anytime later..
and yes.. im also intending to sell off my 18-200 lens even though it is a good lens because of its zoom range but if its f2.8 through out thn i would love it even better!

u mentioned 50mm 1.4, which one would be better?
the new 50mm f/1.4G or the 50mm f/1.4D ?

Personally dun see any difference in terms of optical perfomance and sharpenss, color contrast etc between the 2, apart form its AF noise the D version makes and the focus ring it move which means ur hands must stay off (G version has SWM)

Bear in mind the G version has serious barrel distortions but buter ergonomics.

i hv the old and am lovin it. :) I rather keep the 300+ diff and get sth else.

Alot ppl selling the D ver in B/S nwadays (for somehow i dun understand why:dunno:)

u can get gd sharp used copy for ard 400 nwadays

Last edited:
85mm f3.5g dx version is out on sg nikon website...perharps you might want to consider this too?

85mm is absolutely flattering for portraiture with almost no distortion.

However, if you shoot event more often, i dont recommend u using this. else for travelling get a 28mm to pair up with this lens. it will be perfect.

you will probably sell off your 70-200 as soon as you get the 85mm due to its weight advantage.

Why dun u consider this combo..

Spending the amount to get 17-55 f2.8 i rather u get the tamron 17-50mm F2.8 + nikkor 85mm F1.4.... No point spending so much for a DX lens.;)

Why dun u consider this combo..

Spending the amount to get 17-55 f2.8 i rather u get the tamron 17-50mm F2.8 + nikkor 85mm F1.4.... No point spending so much for a DX lens.;)

Sounds like a better combination... the Nikkor 17-55 is good but very pricey.

I do use the 85mm on walkabouts before... its lighter than a 70-200 lens that's for sure (of course, with less flexibility lar). :)

85mm f3.5g dx version is out on sg nikon website...perharps you might want to consider this too?

hmm.. f3.5?
dont think i would want to consider that.. due to its f3.5
sorry.

you will probably sell off your 70-200 as soon as you get the 85mm due to its weight advantage.

not gonna sell my 70-200 as I do shoot sports most of the time as well.
love this lens too much even though its heavy!
hehee..

I think choose 85mm F1.4 everybody said good for bokeh and i agreed. I have only 85mm F1.8 but i would say not bad. However im still prefer 1.4 because of 77mm lens circum but need throw addt'l $$$.

I think choose 85mm F1.4 everybody said good for bokeh and i agreed. I have only 85mm F1.8 but i would say not bad. However im still prefer 1.4 because of 77mm lens circum but need throw addt'l $$$.

most if not everyone will surely love f1.4..
gonna rent 85mm f1.4 again this weekend just to see the amazing bokeh in the pics..

i'd go for the 17-55, and if you really want to save money on the 85 range, either use your 70-200 or get the f/1.8.

get the 17-55mm... then after that... 105mm will suit you best compared to the 85mm hehehehe

Same here!

:think: I vote for 17-55mm f2.8 for your case.

:cool: Great feel and the bokeh is more than enough!

Nice Zoom Lens! :thumbsup:

different lens with different function.
what do you need most ?
portrait ? then go for 85/1.4.
landscape and walkaround ? then go for 17-55/2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.