Nikon 80-200 AFS/AFD or Sigma 70-200

Lifes80

Jun 24, 2010
Hg
Hello guys,

Any comment or recommendation on this lenses??

Hello

1) Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S ED IF.

Pros: fine lens, sharp wide open, nice colours, well built, fast AF, AF lock buttons on the lens barrel.

Cons: heavy, doesn't work well with TC, known first generation AF-S motor issues.

If you can find a clean copy with minimal internal dust, reasonable price and AF motor is silent, it is a good buy. I have a copy of the lens in grey white. I have been using it since early 2000 with my F5, no problems so far.

2) No comments on the Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D ED IF and Sigma 70-200mm. Never owned either of them. Check on line there are plenty of reviews on these two lens.

Let me put it this way , the image quality of the 80-200 afs is only surpassed marginally by the latest 70-210 Version 2, the only time the latest version pulls ahead is when both are used with a TC20. A sigma is still a sigma, the key part of a lens is the lens. Nikon still makes their own to their own design. Sigma may have a problem doing that it would have to get some one to make lens for it and their limitation is if they want a specific formulation that the lens maker does notfff have in stock require a special order are they going to go that way given special orders cost more than stock glass and that they need to build a product that has to be cheaper by at least 35 to 40 % than the nikon or cannon product ? Coloration of a lens - nikon had prided itself that within its range the color characteristics are similar to near identical. Sigma's tend to ignore this aspects and their lens in the past could have very different color profiles. Bulit quality my 80-200 afs is now more than 20 years old it still works fine.

There are many versions of the Sigma. The most recent one 70-200/2.8 OS HSM is quite value for money. It's performance is around the level of 70-200/VR.

There are also many versions of 80-200/2.8. The AF-S version is the best among the 80-200, but it is a very heavy beast and it still does not have VR. Optical performance place it around the level of 70-200/VR but with less vignetting.

70-200/VR2 is way ahead of these lenses, even the 80-200/2.8 AF-S.

optically, i would say latest 70-200 OS is slightly ahead of the AFD 80-200 if you get a copy with perfect focusing. considering the price, i say go with the Sigma.

optically, i would say latest 70-200 OS is slightly ahead of the AFD 80-200 if you get a copy with perfect focusing. considering the price, i say go with the Sigma.

The key is "if". And it is widely known that when you change camera the Sigma will almost certainly not hold the perfect focus. And beyond warranty the cost for calibration is $150. Unless it belongs to the latest art series in which case you can get the USB dongle and DIY calibrate the lens.

I say go with a used AFS 70-200mm VR1 if cost is an issue. I would. Btw I have the AFD 80-200mm f2.8 and I'm happy with it on my D800. The AF /MF switch broke and can't find parts for brother Fatigue to fix.

Hi, I own 80-200 AF-D version and it is better lens. Focus speed depends on your cam body. Compared to sigma 70-200 apart from VR and AFS, this lens is better choice.

Btw I have the AFD 80-200mm f2.8 and I'm happy with it on my D800. The AF /MF switch broke and can't find parts for brother Fatigue to fix.

I am happy with the performance of the 80-200 too, only issue for me is some softness at 200mm at f2.8 at close distances. Apart from that, this is one sharp tele zoom. The other issue is the AF/MF ring switch, which gives way too easily. But fixing it at Nikon SC is not too expensive lah, about $85 or so.

Last edited: