Nikon 50mm f1.4 af-s or af-d?

hid3y

Jan 12, 2011
Hi!

This may seem like a really stupid question to some or most of you guys. maybe I'm really curious which is better? :/

Thanks! :)

But I'm really curious*
Typo. Lol!

50mm AF-S G f1.4
Pros
- Supposedly sharper at wide open aperture ( debateable )
- quiet auto-focus
- nice bokeh due to 9 rounded aperture blades

Cons
- Slow auto-focus
- Bulkier than the af-d
- no aperture ring so not backward compatible with some nikon slr.

50mm f1.4 af-d
Pros
- Optical formula remain unchanged for many years attesting to its legendary status
- small and compact despite its f1.4 aperture
- reasonable price compared to the G
- slightly faster auto-focus
- has aperture ring so backward compatible with older SLR.

Cons
- requires screw-drive autofocus so not useable on lower end basic DSLR
- noisy auto focus
- Bokeh is not so nice when closed down due to 7 aperture blades

Personally I would go for the AF 1.4D, Cost less and proven optics, and my preference for aperture ring. But do note that it is without SWM thus cannot be use with entry camera like D40, etc.

50mm AF-S G f1.4
Pros
- Supposedly sharper at wide open aperture ( debateable )
- quiet auto-focus
- nice bokeh due to 9 rounded aperture blades

Cons
- Slow auto-focus
- Bulkier than the af-d
- no aperture ring so not backward compatible with some nikon slr.

50mm f1.4 af-d
Pros
- Optical formula remain unchanged for many years attesting to its legendary status
- small and compact despite its f1.4 aperture
- reasonable price compared to the G
- slightly faster auto-focus
- has aperture ring so backward compatible with older SLR.

Cons
- requires screw-drive autofocus so not useable on lower end basic DSLR
- noisy auto focus
- Bokeh is not so nice when closed down due to 7 aperture blades

Nicely summarised. :thumbsup:

And to add, the D version's AF speed depends on the camera body as well. So if you are using a professional body like D3 or D3s, it is hella fast! On the G version, you are at the mercy of the SWM in the lens, which is not very fast.

A year ago I too was deciding between getting the 50mm AFS or AFD.
Eventually I got the 50mm AFD due to cheaper price and small size, I love the rather vintage look too. :thumbsup:
Most important the image quality is good, the noisy AF dun bother me at all.:)

Last edited:
So if based on technical terms, which will be a better buy? :|

how about adding the Sigma 50mm F1.4?
another great lens.

I bought the sigma 50mm over the Nikon due to the colour production.... the Sigma looks slightly more vibrant than Nikon AFD.

I had the 50mm f/1.8 and now has the 50mm AFS f/1.4G.

My advice is go for 50mm f/1.4D.

Reason is:
1.4G is about 5-6 times more expensive than 1.8D
1.4G is about 1.5-2 times more expensive than 1.4D
But I find 1.4G only marginally better than 1.8D. Meaning not much different when compared with 1.8D. If 1.4G price is around 1.4D, then I would recommend it but since it is much more expensive than the 1.4D, I will recommend to get the 1.4D first. And wait for the rumored AF(??) 50mm f/1.2(??) to see if it's worth the upgrade later on.

If not, 1.8D is :thumbsup:

BTW, the rounded 9-blade diaphragm of 1.4G is supposed to improve bokeh but like I said, there is NOT much difference in bokeh compared to 1.8D, so I was quite disappointed.

Got over it and now very pleased with 85mm f/1.4D's bokeh.

If I were to buy a 50mm lens, I will choose the Sigma 50mm f1.4. It has the best performance(centre to corner resolution and bokeh) at wide open so far compared to Nikon and Canon 50mm f1.4. Of course good things always come at a higher price. The marginal difference has to be valuated by your own need and preference. Everyone is different.

btw, rumours said that Nikon will come up with a 50mm f1.2 AF-S soon to complete the lineup of the new prime lenses(24mm, 35mm, 85mm f1.4G). If that's the case, I'll no doubt choose this over the Sigma, provided I have the budget :bsmilie:

Last edited:
If I were to buy a 50mm lens, I will choose the Sigma 50mm f1.4. It has the best performance(centre to corner resolution and bokeh) at wide open so far compared to Nikon and Canon 50mm f1.4. Of course good things always come at a higher price. The marginal difference has to be valuated by your own need and preference. Everyone is different.

btw, rumours said that Nikon will come up with a 50mm f1.2 AF-S soon to complete the lineup of the new prime lenses(24mm, 35mm, 85mm f1.4G). If that's the case, I'll no doubt choose this over the Sigma, provided I have the budget :bsmilie:

Yes bokeh and resolution sigma edge out better. But it is interesting to note that some sigma lenses exhibit "focus shift" in some camera bodies when focusing at different distances. Usually it shows up as front focusing at close focusing distances, but focusing is spot on at distances further away. So need to adjust accordingly. This happens mostly in the wide Sigma primes 20, 24, 28, 30 and 50. That said, the sigma has been making excellent primes that exceed Nikon in certain areas. Just look at the 85/1.4 HSM, which IMHO performs much better than the Nikon 85/1.4 D or G.

And I really think the 50/1.2 will be offered at such an exorbitant price that makes it impractical to many people (myself included). And the ultra thin DoF will be hard to manage for many.

DoF of 50/1.2 ais @ F1.2
5469866093_c8d09fa3fb_z.jpg

Last edited:
So if based on technical terms, which will be a better buy? :|

That you have to answer yourself. Everyone's perception is somewhat different. Personally I will never touch the G version.

BTW, the rounded 9-blade diaphragm of 1.4G is supposed to improve bokeh but like I said, there is NOT much difference in bokeh compared to 1.8D, so I was quite disappointed.

Got over it and now very pleased with 85mm f/1.4D's bokeh.

It makes a difference when the 1.8 is stopped down slightly, the bokeh will become hexagonal.

Really? The Sigma 85mm f1.4 HSM is much better than the Nikon 85mm f1.4G? Any link to see the side-by-side comparison?

Yes bokeh and resolution sigma edge out better. But it is interesting to note that some sigma lenses exhibit "focus shift" in some camera bodies when focusing at different distances. Usually it shows up as front focusing at close focusing distances, but focusing is spot on at distances further away. So need to adjust accordingly. This happens mostly in the wide Sigma primes 20, 24, 28, 30 and 50. That said, the sigma has been making excellent primes that exceed Nikon in certain areas. Just look at the 85/1.4 HSM, which IMHO performs much better than the Nikon 85/1.4 D or G.

And I really think the 50/1.2 will be offered at such an exorbitant price that makes it impractical to many people (myself included). And the ultra thin DoF will be hard to manage for many.

DoF of 50/1.2 ais @ F1.2
5469866093_c8d09fa3fb_z.jpg

Really? The Sigma 85mm f1.4 HSM is much better than the Nikon 85mm f1.4G? Any link to see the side-by-side comparison?

It is widely reported. I have tried both. The Sigma is a much sweeter lens. You should be able to find reviews in Google.

I see. Saw some samples from the website. Sigma is value for money. The things I like from the Nikon 85mm 1.4G are its colour rendition, contrasty, object isolation and body built.
It is widely reported. I have tried both. The Sigma is a much sweeter lens. You should be able to find reviews in Google.

if user is using entry level body which means u can't correct the front/back focus in camera, then it's not advisable to buy the sigma's rite?

Sigma 50mm and 30mm F1.4 are some of the excellent lenses that far suppress the OEM like nikon or canon in term of IQ.. I am thinking of getting the sigma 50mm HSM i wonder does it work in live view for D7000:think: