Nikon 35mm f1.8DX or 35mm f2FX

ericmar

Jun 23, 2007
Telok Blangah
Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting a short 35mm prime lens with big aperture but I wonder which lens should I go. I am using D7000 (DX body) so if I go for Fx lens then it will get cropped (35mm becomes about 52.5mm).

I do plan to go for FX body in future so if I go for DX lens then it will also cause me another problem later when switch to FX body.

I am really in a dilemma now. :dunno: Anyone can suggest?

Thanks...

Eric

If the price difference is not much, get the 35mm f2 if you will upgrade to FX in the future.
Btw, when you move to FX, you will have the superior 35mm f1.4 in the consideration.

Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting a short 35mm prime lens with big aperture but I wonder which lens should I go. I am using D7000 (DX body) so if I go for Fx lens then it will get cropped (35mm becomes about 52.5mm).

I do plan to go for FX body in future so if I go for DX lens then it will also cause me another problem later when switch to FX body.

Thanks...

Eric

Still don't know your question. :dunno: Both 35mm f/1.8G or 35mm f/2 will still give you an quivalent 52.5mm FOV on a DX body. Just that f/1.8 version will get a bit of vignetting on FF. If you are looking for a prime that gives 35mm FOV on a DX, then look for 24mm prime.

Hi guys,

Thanks...

Eric

I don't think u'll lose alot if you sell 35/1.8G in future, it's a very small and useful lens.
If you afraid that you'll lose money, just get the 35/2D.

Thom Hogan has a good review against 35/1.8G.
http://www.bythom.com/Nikkor-35mm-D-lensreview.htm

If the price difference is not much, get the 35mm f2 if you will upgrade to FX in the future.
Btw, when you move to FX, you will have the superior 35mm f1.4 in the consideration.
Hi kent,
Thanks. 35mm f1.4 is too ex!

Still don't know your question. :dunno: Both 35mm f/1.8G or 35mm f/2 will still give you an quivalent 52.5mm FOV on a DX body. Just that f/1.8 version will get a bit of vignetting on FF. If you are looking for a prime that gives 35mm FOV on a DX, then look for 24mm prime.
i think i got u now. i thought there is a difference for DX lens used on DX body which i can really get 35mm but i was wrong.

I don't think u'll lose alot if you sell 35/1.8G in future, it's a very small and useful lens.
If you afraid that you'll lose money, just get the 35/2D.

Thom Hogan has a good review against 35/1.8G.
http://www.bythom.com/Nikkor-35mm-D-lensreview.htm
Thanks for the info!

Hi kent,
Thanks. 35mm f1.4 is too ex!

i think i got u now. i thought there is a difference for DX lens used on DX body which i can really get 35mm but i was wrong.

Thanks for the info!

:think: From your replies, I think you get the 35mm f/1.8G better.

I think what he meant is if it is worthwhile to get the f2 now since he still on dx now.. the f2 cost more, inferior iq on dx compared to the newer f1.8, and of cos 1/3 slower.
. nothing to do with focal length on dx and fx

As long as you use a Nikon DX camera, you have to time the crop factor 1.5 and the focal length indicated in whatever lenses to get the real focal length. I think DX lenses are optimized for DX cameras, so I personally prefer not to use DX lenses on FF cameras, while your preference maybe different.

hi, just my humble opinions here. i was in the same dilemma as you not too long ago. but then, how sure are you that one day you will go FX? everyone has such plans, but as we mature in photography, we will realise we don't really need FX for what we do after all.

btw, 35 f/1.8 is quite a stellar performer at a very good price. and it is optimized for DX cameras...so why not especially when it is cheaper and according to another forumer - it has better iq.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks...

Eric

As you said that you have plan to go for FX body in the future, then choose AF-D 35mm F2 laa.
Note that this 35mm f/2 is non BIM lens, so this lens life should be last longer than his brother :)

Hi guys,

Thanks...

Eric

the f1.8 will give u one stop advantage over the 35/2. both are roughly similar in cost over in buy/sell, IIRC.

the 1.8 also focus faster than f2 cos it is AFS. sharpness wise... well, IMO, since you are using on a DX body, center sharpness should be ok (i don't have the 1.8) even tho a number of online reviews say the f2 suffer from corner sharpness. frankly, i have no problems with the f2 on my DX or FX bodies cos i use it wide open anyway.

i personally like the 35/2, after going thru both of the 50mm primes cos i like the view of the 35. never had any problems with it. if u are going to FF some time in the future, but do not wish to blow a wad of cash on the upcoming AFS 35/1.4, the 35/2 represents a good bargain nowadays. i see a couple being dumped by people now, probably cos they want to get the 35/1.4. :)

Has anyone of you even seen the images of 35mm f/1.8 taken on a FF body? No I don't think so. :bsmilie: Apparently, this lens is full of surprises...

Has anyone of you even seen the images of 35mm f/1.8 taken on a FF body? No I don't think so. :bsmilie: Apparently, this lens is full of surprises...

Yeah the 35mm f1.8 DX can be used on a FX body in FX mode (not the lower MP DX crop mode that the FF cams have) with just slight vignetting, so I'd rather go with the 35mm f1.8DX even if I'm going FF.

I have... and it works well... sweet lil lens it is... kind of regretted I sold it... I might buy another one in the future...

Here is one of the many reviews of the 35/1.8 mounted on an FX cam, on FX mode.

http://www.enduserblog.com/2009/09/review-nikon-35mm-f18-dx.html

It works!

I have... and it works well... sweet lil lens it is... kind of regretted I sold it... I might buy another one in the future...

Here is one of the many reviews of the 35/1.8 mounted on an FX cam, on FX mode.

http://www.enduserblog.com/2009/09/review-nikon-35mm-f18-dx.html

It works!

Great timing!! (More like it's about dang time!) I was leaving it to you to post up the link! ;)

Last edited:
There are 3 cases, depending on your camera body:

D3000 / D3100 / D5000 / D40 / D40x / D60 : obviously 35f/1.8G

D700 / D3s / D3x: obviously 35f/2D

D50 D70 D90 D300 D300s D7000: your choice. If money doesnt matter: 35f/2D is better, better built, not as much vignette / distortion as the 35f/1.8G.

If money doesn't matter, go for Nikon 35mm f1.4G for FX rather than 35mm f2D.

I like my 35mm f1.8.. very versatile! Personally, I think no need to think too far. When you switch to FX, you can still sell your 35mm f1.8 and I'm pretty sure you can find a seller easily. By then, you may even ditch the idea of 35mm and get the 50mm f1.4! Who knows...

There are 3 cases, depending on your camera body:

D3000 / D3100 / D5000 / D40 / D40x / D60 : obviously 35f/1.8G

D700 / D3s / D3x: obviously 35f/2D

D50 D70 D90 D300 D300s D7000: your choice. If money doesnt matter: 35f/2D is better, better built, not as much vignette / distortion as the 35f/1.8G.

you basing this on any concrete evidence, or your opinion only?
if it's the former, please provide the link... thank you.