Nikon 35mm f1.8

chicken chop

May 1, 2006
Hi I am thinking of buying this len, BnS is selling about 300 and DDE is selling about <310 cash. Should I buy from DDE? is there focusing problem on this Len as the sigma 30mm f1.4? I wants to get this lens to take in indoor situation is this suitable? Thanks for answering.

chicken chop said:
Hi I am thinking of buying this len, BnS is selling about 300 and DDE is selling about <310 cash. Should I buy from DDE? is there focusing problem on this Len as the sigma 30mm f1.4? I wants to get this lens to take in indoor situation is this suitable? Thanks for answering.

Go Funan and ask those recommended shops, or give them.a call.

For me I won't buy at bns why? You will know after you call them of visit them. Haha

As for focusing problem, I don't see any so far. But still need to test before buying haha,

Last edited:
I have both. 35 Nikon no problem at all. First hand local only 326

So far it seems like Nikkors are less susceptible to focus inaccuracies, though it would still be advisable to test before you pay $.
If 2nd hand $300 and practically brand new condition with warranty, I guess it's ok, though there have been more sellers recently at <$300, so do keep a lookout.
DDE is also worth considering. If you're not unlucky you should have no issues with the lens, making the warranty just a safety blanket for peace of mind :)

BTW it's a LENS and not LEN :)

Depending on the age and condition of the lens. But from what can be ssen from BnS corner here, getting it new might be better. I've seen people selling for $330, same as some shops.

At least if you buy new from the shop, you have a "Wow, I just bought a NEW lens!" kind of feeling.

That said, just go ahead and buy from shop or BnS, whichever you're more comfortable with. :)

I actually bought my 35mm f/1.8 from BnS here for $280. So far so good. I think it's important that the seller let's you do a thorough check of the lens before handling the cash over. Take your time to check the optics, aperture blades, etc. You can google or search through CS for the detailed tips.

It is not a complicated lens, so I'd be comfortable buying it either way. Just be sure to check the lens and you'd be fine.

I actually bought my 35mm f/1.8 from BnS here for $280. So far so good. I think it's important that the seller let's you do a thorough check of the lens before handling the cash over. Take your time to check the optics, aperture blades, etc. You can google or search through CS for the detailed tips.

Some of the prices on BnS are not much less than some shops, frankly I wouldn't take the risk and trouble unless the lens is substantially cheaper.

Indeed I find it weird why B&S are posting this lens at an average of $300 where new one is only $20+ more. Doesn't make any sense to buy this at B&S.

Beverly96 said:
Indeed I find it weird why B&S are posting this lens at an average of $300 where new one is only $20+ more. Doesn't make any sense to buy this at B&S.

The reason (I feel) is due to a period of stock shortage and the price of this lens got jack up for a while. What people are posting now is based on the price then.

The reason (I feel) is due to a period of stock shortage and the price of this lens got jack up for a while. What people are posting now is based on the price then.

Quite a number of people bought near to the launch date, at prices much closer to the RRP. I distinctly remember stocks being very scarce when the lens was new.

Last edited:
BTW it's a LENS and not LEN :)

drives me up the wall :p

to OP: I've sold this set of lens on BnS previously. Have not run into focusing problems and should be ideal as an indoor lens.

Thanks everyone, I have bought Sigma 30mm f1.4 ;p

get 35mm f2, can use on full frame as well and its sharper and last longer cos no motor

d700KING said:
get 35mm f2, can use on full frame as well and its sharper and last longer cos no motor

Oh really?

I went straight for it instead of a 35mm f1.8. No regrets so far!

Me too... That 5mm means alot in a tight situation like in a restaurant ;) now I wish my camera can support auto forcus on a 20mm or 24mm lens :hung: