Nikon 35mm 1.8 or Sigma 30mm 1.4

Harkamals

Jan 12, 2011
Bros

Please help me in knowing which one can give me goooood bokeh effect in night shots.

I just sold off canon 600d/50mm 1.4 and bought Nikon d7000 which is awesome body.

Don't want 50mm because of small view.

Thanks !!

If price is not an issue go for the Sigma but do be warned that many people have complained of focusing issues with this lens so you need to test the lens thoroughly before buying. If you don't want to take a risk then save money and go for the cheaper but better build quality Nikon.

If you like bokeh & low lights (especially in places where you cannot use flash), then go for the Sigma.

It's true that some bad copies have focus issues (back focus / front focus / miss AF etc), but you can always calibrate them. Also, I thought D7000 has micro focus adjustment? I believe it can help in some ways.

If price is not an issue go for the Sigma but do be warned that many people have complained of focusing issues with this lens so you need to test the lens thoroughly before buying. If you don't want to take a risk then save money and go for the cheaper but better build quality Nikon.

You can always send it back to Sigma in Singapore for a free adjustment.

Okay, thanks for the advice everyone.

Any clue on the price for both the lenses and best place to buy.

Good nighty !!

iirc the price for the Nikon 35mm F1.8 was $330 at some shops in Funan a couple of months back. Not too sure about the Sigma.

I have a sigma 30mm 1.4. While the lens may not be as sharp as the nikon 35 1.8, the bokeh is truly amazing and can render your pictures to make it a work of art. Really beautiful rendering of images!
If you ask me, its lower price and more sharpness for the nikon vs higher price and wonderful bokeh (for this price) for the sigma! :)

Good luck in your purchase!

Thanks mate

My vote for 35mm Nikon .

Had both. Photo quality for portraits sigma wins hands down

Both are excellent lenses. The Nikon won me over because of it's price.

mds80 said:
Personally I don't trust digitalrev reviews because they don't seem to be scientific or very thorough in their reviews. I only watch digitalrev for the entertainment factor ;p

Well. Be it digitalrev or not, any infor I take off the net, I take it wilth a pinch of salt.

It's just for amusement! Haha.

Alan photo sells

Nikon 35mm 1.8 for $340
Sigma 30mm 1.4 for $780

That's about right. If you're keen, both lenses are cheaper in Hong Kong. The Sigma is significantly cheaper.

Alan photo sells

Nikon 35mm 1.8 for $340
Sigma 30mm 1.4 for $780

MS color (at AMK hub) sells (both from Nikon) -
35mm f1.8 for $350
50mm f1.8 for $299

One thing i don't understand is why the 50mm is selling cheaper than the 35mm?

e69087 said:
35mm f1.8 for $350
50mm f1.8 for $299

Why can't it be cheaper?

e69087 said:
35mm f1.8 for $350
50mm f1.8 for $299

If I not wrong, being internal and non- extendable focus, shld be more exp to manufacture . Eg. Af 50 f/1.8D is external focus and u can see the lens extending/retracting .