Nikon 3100

sky512

Jan 2, 2011
Hi everyone,im a 13 year old boy just joined clubsnap:)

anyway i wanna join photo graphy with my friends....have been following them to take scenery and have been enjoying it very much

i am currently on financial crisis so i can't get a high end camera....

was looking at the nikon 3100
was wondering anyone of u guys out there are using this camera and anyone recommend using this camera????the help from u people are really really much appreciated:)

this are also a few more dslr i have been looking at
canon 1000d
sony alpha 290 and 390:)
nikon 3000

thanks for viewing my post:)

Hi Sky ! Go for D3100. U won't regret it. . Got it recently. Enjoying every moment with it. Best of Luck !

I am using the D3100. I like this camera because it is light and quiet. It takes decent photos.
But this camera does not have a built in motor in the body, if you wants to add lenses you can only buy those with built in motor which may be more expensive.
You can also choose brands that your friend is using, so that you can try out other lens before buying.

Here are the Comparisons:

1. DxOMark - this is the standard benchmark to compare the sensor among DSLR
Please click in the link below:
DxOMark Comparison between Nikon D3100 vs Canon 1000D vs Sony A390
D3100 has the highest overall score.

2. Specs Comparison

Choose Nikon D3000, if you prefer:
- has the smallest and the thinnest body among ALL

Choose Canon 1000D, if you prefer:
- has Built In Focus Motor in the Camera Body (has more choices of lenses)
- use CMOS sensor (usually CMOS is better than CCD)

Choose Sony A290 / A390, if you prefer:
- has Built In Focus Motor (has more choices of lenses)
- has Image Stabilization in the Camera Body (all lenses attached have IS or VR)
- can use to 2 different memory cards (SD/ SDHC, Memory Stick Pro Duo)

Choose Nikon D3100, if you prefer:
- best High ISO performance (low noise)
- able to shoot Full HD video
- has the biggest LCD screen (3")

Based on the Above, D3100 should be the Best among D3100/D3000/1000D/A290/A390. But I would suggest TS go to the exhibition and try every camera by himself, before making the decision.

Last edited:
The only downside of D3000 / D3100 is no availability of:
- Built In Focus Motor in the Camera Body

As such, you should remember to ONLY purchase Nikkor AF-S lens for Auto Focusing.

It also won't have Auto Focus if later you want to use the WONDERFUL Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, the BEST ultra wide angle lens for cropped sensor body.

Nikon D3100 or Pentax Kr.
Both are decent cameras to start off.
or else you start off with second hand DSLRs. cheaper.

personally i think canon 1000d is abit outdated, better buy 550d instead if u have the budget. else, sony's or nikon's.

Hi all I just got this today charging battery now can't wait to start was gona get cannon 550 but then decide on this for the money value.

Actually I think none of the Canon bodies have focus motors. All their EF (and EF-S) lenses have AF motors.

Here are the Comparisons:

1. DxOMark - this is the standard benchmark to compare the sensor among DSLR
Please click in the link below:
DxOMark Comparison between Nikon D3100 vs Canon 1000D vs Sony A390
D3100 has the highest overall score.

2. Specs Comparison

Choose Nikon D3000, if you prefer:
- has the smallest and the thinnest body among ALL

Choose Canon 1000D, if you prefer:
- has Built In Focus Motor in the Camera Body (has more choices of lenses)

Choose Sony A290 / A390, if you prefer:
- has Built In Focus Motor (has more choices of lenses)
- has Image Stabilization in the Camera Body (all lenses attached have IS or VR)
- can use to 2 different memory cards (SD/ SDHC, Memory Stick Pro Duo)

Choose Nikon D3100, if you prefer:
- best High ISO performance (low noise)
- able to shoot Full HD video
- has the biggest LCD screen (3")

Based on the Above, D3100 should be the Best among D3100/D3000/1000D/A290/A390. But I would suggest TS go to the exhibition and try every camera by himself, before making the decision.

actually your wrong

CMOS and CCD is 2 different sensors
not really better than each other CCD is built for heavy usage but CMOS has an adavantage of better IQ in low light or higher ISO

actually your wrong

CMOS and CCD is 2 different sensors
not really better than each other CCD is built for heavy usage but CMOS has an adavantage of better IQ in low light or higher ISO

CMOS technology came after CCD sensors. CMOS sensors are cheaper to manufacture and better than CCD sensors in term of power consumption. Mean with CMOS camera that you will get longer battery life and you could take more pictures. With longer battery life and less expensive cameras, CMOS sensors have already become the digital camera norm.

Canon 1D Mark IV, Nikon D3S, Sony A900, all using CMOS sensors ;)

haaha thanks to all u guys who replied on this post
haha actually i dunno wats the err cmos or wat ccd thingy:D
cause really very new to photo graphy
among all the nikon 3100d also the most EXPENSIVE leh.:(

Get a second hand. The money you save will be enough to buy a cheap prime.
More worth it. :)

Set a budget, wait for Friday or Sat straits time. Normally have clearance sales for Dslr around 490 to 700bucks.

Prefer u to save up more than wack the clearance set as they are most likely outdated sets. Nothing wrong buying it but a new ones are just 100 to 200 bucks more with better improvements.

Seriously consider d3100, pentax kx, pentax kr, Samsung nx10.
All around 800+/- range. All are capable Dslr with nikon having tons of accessories and lens for you to buy. Pentax and Samsung have limited accessories and lens.

Tried D3100 at Courts, quite good, fast Auto-focus, traditional Dslr design and features. No delicated buttons for fast access to functions but I think can assign the directional buttons to functions, the viewfinder is small and dark. Weight is another concern if you intend to bring it out often. It's light but with lens and accessories, would you mind lugging a bag? Go try demo sets. Feel for it.

Know yourself, plan for the next 1-3 years. Are you going to buy more lens, flash, etc ?
If just starting out, stick to basic first as most of us will keep on trying various brands as we progress.

For me, I started with canon 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, Olympus E520, Pentax K20, Sony a330. Yet to try nikon but admire it for it's sharpness and built. Have fun trying it out, take care of your equipments.

Last edited:
i c......thanks alot guys...anyway any tips bout risk if i buy second hand cameras:bsmilie:

If you just got your I.C. (I mean you are really 13) then I got a Fuji S2pro to give it to you. No kidding. Save your money and buy yourself a sweet 35mm 1.8 lens or even a brand new 18-105 people are selling in clubsnap.

a D3100 is sufficient for your use, and good too!

Alternatively you can pick up the good gesture from tankahn. :thumbsup:

If you just got your I.C. (I mean you are really 13) then I got a Fuji S2pro to give it to you. No kidding. Save your money and buy yourself a sweet 35mm 1.8 lens or even a brand new 18-105 people are selling in clubsnap.

Up for the man :thumbsup:

When I was 13, I didn't even have the choice of getting a dslr! XD
If you can't afford it on your own, then don't push yourself to get one.
Take your parents' point and shoot and join your school's photography club to hone your skills first.
I spent 4 years in secondary school just shooting events regularly, and eventually, at 17, I proved to my mum that I deserved one and she bought the D90 for me.
Saved up for my own lenses and flash after that, covered my aunt's wedding, and mum was so impressed that she bought me an expensive lens and is sending me for the Joe McNally seminar.
FYI I am only 19 now.

Looking back now, I am glad that I didn't get a dslr/slr when I asked for it back then, because it really made me work hard to show my mum that it is not just a fad for me, it is something I am really passionate about.
It made me realize just how much I had to learn about taking good photos, even before I learnt about shutter speed and aperture.
My point and shoot was really just that - point at something, and press the shutter.
There is really a lot to learn just about composing photos.
Heard of the rule of thirds?
Using lines, shadows, textures, dominance etc to make the photo engage the viewer?
I admit, even now, I still forget my basics and have to take time to recall them to make my photos pop, and it makes mastering aperture look like a piece of cake.

A lot of students nowadays seem to think that they like photography, pester their parents to buy a dslr, and then, when they realise that it is not as easy as it seems, throw the camera to one side and waste their parents' money.
Or their parents start whining at them to take photos more often, making it a chore to go out and photograph.

What I'm trying to say is that you should build up your skill before hankering after a dslr because good photos can be taken with small cameras.
Build your creativity and photographic eye first.
You mentioned that your friends have been bringing you along for their shoots, so are you into photography because your friends are, or is it really your passion?
Don't get caught up in the "OMG I NEED A DSLR/LENS/FLASH TO TAKE GOOD PHOTOS" mindset.
If you want to "follow the crowd" by having a dslr, then I am really disappointed because it makes students like me look bad for having a dslr.
I have encountered so many adults that go "Wah lau, another "student photographer". Your parents a lot of money hor?" and just dismiss me as a photographer.

Just search for andrewine on clubsnap, he uses a point and shoot, and his photos are way better than mine. Haha!

EDIT:
To illustrate my point, here are some statistics.
Secondary school;
In 2004, 15 students joined photography club. None of us had dslrs then. In 1 year, only 5 of us out of that 15 were left in the club. Number with dslr now? One - me.
In 2005, 25 students joined photography club. None with dslrs then. After 1 year, 3 stayed in the club. Number with dslr now - none.
In 2006, 40 students joined photography club. None with dslrs, 8 stayed. None own dslrs now.
In 2007, 55 joined photography club. None with dslrs, 15 stayed (10 for cca points). 2 own dslrs now (not serious).
In 2008, 80 joined, 15 left, no dslrs.
Talked to my sec school club teacher, after all those students in 5 years, only 5 of us are still into photography, only 3 own dslrs.
Students he have now are not serious about learning photography at all.
And he is a really good teacher. =)

Poly;
In year one, 100-200 joined, quite a few dslrs. about 8 stayed on.
In year two, 200-300 joined, plenty of dslrs. Every lesson we had, we lost about 1/3 of the cohort. By third lesson, only about 30 coming for class. For our first photography outing? Only 1 junior came.

So please, don't waste your parent's money if you are not serious about photography. Even if you are saving up for the camera yourself, they are still the ones who earned the money.
I know I sound like a wet blanket but I am really just trying to put things in perspective. =)

Last edited: