Nikon 3100 Vs 5100

koma

Feb 5, 2005
Hi bros like to check for a beginner which will be the more value for $$

or camera that can last longer(in terms of upgrading) for these 2 models thanx~~

Goin for 1 mth break in vietnam next week want to pick up some photography

during that time

D3100 more value for $$.
Unless the flip LCD is a deal breaker for you. That helps a lot for macro and non-standard angles.

hmm think D3100 too its small and light weight haha,

unless u wan the flip lcd or hdr and 5100 is your choice.

would suggest you to go read out on both cam online, see whats the review and compare both cam and see which 1 suits u more

I guess the few main differences between the D3100 and D5100 are:

1) LCD screen. Both are 3", but the D5100 has the high-res one as seen on D7000. D5100's also can flip out
2) Looks like D5100 has more bells n whistles for movie capture, allowing more options for capture rate and stereo audio, etc.
3) 16MP [D5100] vs 14MP (if that really matters)
4) price

It would be hard to say which is more 'upgrade-resistant'.
Many people are happy to continue shooting with their entry-level DSLR and kit lens. Some are always chasing the next purchase which will take their photography to the next level. If you belong firmly to the second group, I think neither of these cameras will satisfy you for long ;)

I think both are about the same regarding 'upgrade resistance', because both do not have a built in motor which is a big issue.

The flip screen is a major attraction. other than that, they are technically very similar. most of the extra editing features can be achieved off-camera.

The reasons I let go my D3100,
- No auto exposure blanketing (HDR) which I need this badly when using D3100. Go and find out what's HDR mean.
- Flip LCD for self or couple portrait with tripod. When you wanna shoot from different angle then this is a must.. I always like to shoot from ground to give a "feel" that how an ant look at this world.. When people look at your photo they will feel special and wonder how you shoot from this angle..
- Better LCD resolution so you could know if your photo out of focus.. Else from your camera it looks so nice but slightly blur when copy to PC.
etc etc etc.... Upgrade to D5100 is worth for the money.. I never regret. Check below link and ask if anything you not understand, everyone here will help to answer.
http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5100-vs-Nikon_D3100

i tried both... and i prefer 5100 as it has much higher resolution LCD.. btw it just $200 different...

Bracketing feature found in D5100 is also worth noting. It's a nice add on compare to the previous gen entry level 2 camera.

If budget allows go for D5100, more features added....

ok noted thanx for the advice guys, myself also

leaning more to the 5100 cause of the flip out screen

can do self potraits n out of the way shots

Hmm, how come no one mentioned the sensor? I'll go for the 5100 simply because it has a better sensor. (it's the same one used on the d7000 btw).

Hmm, how come no one mentioned the sensor? I'll go for the 5100 simply because it has a better sensor. (it's the same one used on the d7000 btw).

Using D7000 sensor could give higher ISO capability, but I seldom go for high ISO unless forced to do so.. So never mentioned on my side. :bsmilie:

Honestly, what you get from D5100 and D3100 out of the sensor is not a heaven and hell differences. What bros mentioned here are the practical differences that has more significant impact on the usage of the camera and its price. Only FX sensor can make a huge difference that's worthy a consideration.

Go to dpreview.com, select your desired cameras (e.g. D3100 & D5100), and compare them side by side.
There is a function that allows you to compare all the specifications easily.
That is how I do my window shopping for cameras...
makes me very 'gian' to upgrade my system whenever i do that :bsmilie:

juz want to knoe more on the ground the practical sides of these

2 models rather than based solely on specs. my heart tells me get

the 5100 but wallet say get 3100 better haha~~~

juz want to knoe more on the ground the practical sides of these

2 models rather than based solely on specs. my heart tells me get

the 5100 but wallet say get 3100 better haha~~~

If you wanna know my opinion, both cameras frustrate me to a certain extent.
The smaller real estate means a reduction in the number of buttons and dials.
Having to dive into menus a lot to change this and that (bracketing, WB, shooting mode, etc) is frustrating...
Add to that the fact that both these models are not CLS-commander capable... a bit of a turn off ;)

ISO also dun move in 1/3 steps... Which is why I never knew there's ISO settings such as 1250, 250 in the past when I was using my gf's D60.

Seriously,

For casual shooters, go for D3100.
For slightly better video control, go for D5100.
For really learning photography, go for D90 or D7000 (or above if you are the type that hates to upgrade on a regular basis)

I know some would probably flame me on the D90 option, but I'm coming from a 过来人 point of view.

ISO also dun move in 1/3 steps... Which is why I never knew there's ISO settings such as 1250, 250 in the past when I was using my gf's D60.

Seriously,

For casual shooters, go for D3100.
For slightly better video control, go for D5100.
For really learning photography, go for D90 or D7000 (or above if you are the type that hates to upgrade on a regular basis)

I know some would probably flame me on the D90 option, but I'm coming from a 过来人 point of view.

I doubt anyone will flame u on that. The D90 is a very good camera by itself (both for beginners & pros) and still continues to be.

I myself touched a D90 and got poisoned. Would have gotten the D90 or a 550D if the D7000 wasnt released.