Nikon 3100 or Canon 550D?


adrian01

New Member
Sep 27, 2011
9
0
0
44
#1
I'm thinking between the Nikon 3100 or Canon 550D? Any advise?
 

adrian01

New Member
Sep 27, 2011
9
0
0
44
#3
small pig said:
Abt the same for these 2. Maybe if possible go for 5100
Hmmm I prefer Canon coz a buddy is using Canon as well. Can share lens. Where do u think I can get a good deal for a brand new set? I don't mind second hand too since I'm just starting out.
 

Irvine

Senior Member
Jan 1, 2010
1,037
0
36
North? South? East? West?
#4
Hmmm I prefer Canon coz a buddy is using Canon as well. Can share lens. Where do u think I can get a good deal for a brand new set? I don't mind second hand too since I'm just starting out.
we have the Price Guides for u to refer to. besides the list of reputable shops r there.

if u wan 2nd hand, u can look at the Personal Classifieds section to look for 2nd hand deals within CS or head down to either peninsula plaza or peninsula tower for 2nd hand shops.
 

Kawa43

New Member
Sep 19, 2011
111
0
0
#5
adrian01 said:
Hmmm I prefer Canon coz a buddy is using Canon as well. Can share lens. Where do u think I can get a good deal for a brand new set? I don't mind second hand too since I'm just starting out.
Then get 600d if u prefer canon, and since u're just starting out.

Get the lens only when u have decided which themes suit u the most.
 

adrian01

New Member
Sep 27, 2011
9
0
0
44
#6
Kawa43 said:
Then get 600d if u prefer canon, and since u're just starting out.

Get the lens only when u have decided which themes suit u the most.
I was comparing with the Nikon 3100 can I thought the 550D was a closest match instead of 600D.
 

ZerocoolAstra

Senior Member
Mar 13, 2008
9,522
0
0
rainy Singapore
#7
I was comparing with the Nikon 3100 can I thought the 550D was a closest match instead of 600D.
600D is the successor to the 550D.
To me, it seems like Canon and Nikon entry-level models don't compete directly, especially in terms of specification and features.
You'll need to decide what kind of features you want, and pick the most appropriate camera to match.
In the end it is still a lot of trial and error. You'll likely need to use a DSLR for some time before realising what features you really wish it to have :)
 

adrian01

New Member
Sep 27, 2011
9
0
0
44
#8
ZerocoolAstra said:
600D is the successor to the 550D.
To me, it seems like Canon and Nikon entry-level models don't compete directly, especially in terms of specification and features.
You'll need to decide what kind of features you want, and pick the most appropriate camera to match.
In the end it is still a lot of trial and error. You'll likely need to use a DSLR for some time before realising what features you really wish it to have :)
Hmmm ok. I'll check the price difference between the two then. Other than features I'm also price sensitive too.
 

ZerocoolAstra

Senior Member
Mar 13, 2008
9,522
0
0
rainy Singapore
#9
Hmmm ok. I'll check the price difference between the two then. Other than features I'm also price sensitive too.
of course... :)
most people are price sensitive...
but avoid the 'penny wise, pound foolish' outcome, where you buy something cheaper, only to realise that you really wanted/needed the features which the more expensive model had ;) in the end it might become more expensive.
 

adrian01

New Member
Sep 27, 2011
9
0
0
44
#10
ZerocoolAstra said:
of course... :)
most people are price sensitive...
but avoid the 'penny wise, pound foolish' outcome, where you buy something cheaper, only to realise that you really wanted/needed the features which the more expensive model had ;) in the end it might become more expensive.
Hmmm just realized that there's not much of noticeable difference to me between the 2. Perhaps I'm too amateur to realize.
 

ZerocoolAstra

Senior Member
Mar 13, 2008
9,522
0
0
rainy Singapore
#11
Hmmm just realized that there's not much of noticeable difference to me between the 2. Perhaps I'm too amateur to realize.
That's ok :)
without having used one extensively, I would say that it would be hard to pinpoint what it is you really want/need.
For example, if you take up sport photography (particularly fast-action sport), you might then desire a camera which has a faster frame rate (measured in FPS). Such a criteria might be less important if you were into landscapes, or holiday snaps.

Or, if you are seriously into portraits and want to get those f/1.4 lenses with super-thin depth of field, you may then desire a camera with many focus points, and with the ability to spot-meter at the selected focus point.

Am just hypothesising here. The point is that it would be tough to figure out all this without actually trying first :)
so which came first? the chicken or the egg?
 

adrian01

New Member
Sep 27, 2011
9
0
0
44
#12
ZerocoolAstra said:
That's ok :)
without having used one extensively, I would say that it would be hard to pinpoint what it is you really want/need.
For example, if you take up sport photography (particularly fast-action sport), you might then desire a camera which has a faster frame rate (measured in FPS). Such a criteria might be less important if you were into landscapes, or holiday snaps.

Or, if you are seriously into portraits and want to get those f/1.4 lenses with super-thin depth of field, you may then desire a camera with many focus points, and with the ability to spot-meter at the selected focus point.

Am just hypothesising here. The point is that it would be tough to figure out all this without actually trying first :)
so which came first? the chicken or the egg?
Yeah that's why I don't wanna invest too much for now. I'm definitely not into sports. Won't mind portrait or shooting at some social event.
 

Kawa43

New Member
Sep 19, 2011
111
0
0
#13
Yeah that's why I don't wanna invest too much for now. I'm definitely not into sports. Won't mind portrait or shooting at some social event.
I would really suggest to get 600D instead 550D. 600D is just nice for the beginner like us. i am coping well with this camera within just 1 month. But of course once u get into the photography world slighly deeper, you will still find that 600D is enough. Just try it with different lens.

I am currently with 600D & 50mm f1.8 lens, besides the kit lens. that's really fun playing camera with different lenses.
 

adrian01

New Member
Sep 27, 2011
9
0
0
44
#14
Kawa43 said:
I would really suggest to get 600D instead 550D. 600D is just nice for the beginner like us. i am coping well with this camera within just 1 month. But of course once u get into the photography world slighly deeper, you will still find that 600D is enough. Just try it with different lens.

I am currently with 600D & 50mm f1.8 lens, besides the kit lens. that's really fun playing camera with different lenses.
Yeah realized that 550D has stopped production since the launch of 600D, it'd successor. Especially when the price difference is so small, about $100. Will give a serious consideration.
 

ZerocoolAstra

Senior Member
Mar 13, 2008
9,522
0
0
rainy Singapore
#15
If the price difference is small, then certainly worth considering.
But I suspect the outgoing model can be had for a more significant price saving than $100. In which case you need to think if the newer features of 600D bring any appreciable benefits to you.

Considered 2nd hand 550D on clubsnap's personal classified section? maybe can find a good deal there! ;)
 

rhino123

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 1, 2006
5,243
15
38
NA
#16
Yeah realized that 550D has stopped production since the launch of 600D, it'd successor. Especially when the price difference is so small, about $100. Will give a serious consideration.
If you have already zoom in to Canon's entry level camera, I would really advise you getting the latest addition - the 600D. although on paper, it doesn't seemed like much of an upgrade except for the vari-angle LCD and some gadgets or techno-mumbo stuff for movie, but seriously vari-angle LCD is very very important and useful...

As seen from Canon's website, the price difference is really only S$100, which is not that significant, just buy the 600D.
 

tsumetiv

New Member
Jul 18, 2011
161
0
0
Westsider
#17
I would definitely suggest the 600D, the swivel screen makes taking self portraits must easier (very useful in casual gathering with friends), unless you don't mind being left out of all the photos during group outings.

You can also do some basic in-camera processing with several effects like the toy camera, etc. This feature is present in the 600D but not the 550D.

Also another major thing that the 600D has that the 550D doesn't have is the wireless flash control (works like a master to control your slaves flashes).
If you get the 550D and you need a wireless flash trigger in future, the ST-E2 is rather pricey at about $210.

So personally its your choice if you think such functions are important, otherwise essentially they are the same :)
 

adrian01

New Member
Sep 27, 2011
9
0
0
44
#19
ziploc said:
Please refrain from hijacking other people's thread. Thread split.
Huh? I don't understand.
 

Top Bottom