nikon 2nd hand from B&S

Status
Not open for further replies.

akagi07

Apr 6, 2006
need a minor recommendation.
got my D90 back last yr shooting happily.
my gf was pretty keen in the dslr but unable to get something @ a budgeted price.

thinking of D80, but need some pointers to look out for in a 2nd hand cam:
1) shutter count any constraints?
2) warranty is definitely over, so this wont matter
3) cam body checks for defects

what else?

need a minor recommendation.
got my D90 back last yr shooting happily.
my gf was pretty keen in the dslr but unable to get something @ a budgeted price.

thinking of D80, but need some pointers to look out for in a 2nd hand cam:
1) shutter count any constraints?
2) warranty is definitely over, so this wont matter
3) cam body checks for defects

what else?

Pointers on getting used cameras from BnS are aplenty and can be using the search tool. Shutter count < 10,000 is usually not a concern.

Is your gf really keen on carrying the weight of a DSLR around to shoot?

Check if all buttons are working.
Check if AF focusing is ok.
Check LCD screen for any cracks or damages.
With a lens mounted, check that all functions of the lens are supported.

am going to get her to touch touch those models.. D90 is ok for her but strained after long usage lo

thanks

hmm .. probably D80 & D90 are about the same weight ..
If weight is a concern probably she will wana try d60 instead . :)

was thinking of d5k, but will see the budget. d5k stil going at 1k in the B&S

i think slight more u can get a new d5000.

try shooting at a white surface to check for dust on the sensor.
zoom in and get a test shot.
zoom out and get a test shot

ya thanks ijnek, i knew all these..
just wish to find out more on what to check for on a 2nd hand and older model.

u c, after i got D90, i didnt realli look into body rather than on more on lens :)

thanks anyway :)

D60 and D80 should be launched about the same time. D60 might be newer.

Checking for dust is absurd cos there will always be dust. There is really a guide in this forum somewhere. Have you checkout the stickies at Newbie corner?

D60 and D80 should be launched about the same time. D60 might be newer.

Checking for dust is absurd cos there will always be dust. There is really a guide in this forum somewhere. Have you checkout the stickies at Newbie corner?

you be surprised that there are some dust thats sticks to the surface of the sensor or appears on the photo at f11 onwards if taken on a white piece of paper.

dust on the VF focusing screen is also quite irritating even though it does not affect the photo taken.

Last edited:
D60 is newer?
damn. i'm thinking if D80 / 60 or else if can 5000

Why not get her one of the new Sonys? Very affordable and lightweight, sized for a girl's hands.

you be surprised that there are some dust thats sticks to the surface of the sensor or appears on the photo at f11 onwards if taken on a white piece of paper.

dust on the VF focusing screen is also quite irritating even though it does not affect the photo taken.

There will always be dust. No way to escape. To reject buying a 2nd hand due to dust is quite silly to me.

Maybe can use it as an excuse to knock off a few dollars from the price though.

There will always be dust. No way to escape. To reject buying a 2nd hand due to dust is quite silly to me.

you have no idea how certain ppl can lowball you with just a few spec of dust in the VF.
if is dirt in the VF then they can low ball even further...might as well i clean the sensor and VF before selling...

i did encountered such case with a buyer trying to cut off few more dollars when i try to sell off my lens due to a mini particle in the lens (more like a mini bubble), but not affecting the picture.
afterall just keep to your stand on the agreed price, unless its an major issue, else take it or leave it.

my gf just restrict me from getting the cam anyway.

i did encountered such case with a buyer trying to cut off few more dollars when i try to sell off my lens due to a mini particle in the lens (more like a mini bubble), but not affecting the picture.
afterall just keep to your stand on the agreed price, unless its an major issue, else take it or leave it.

It is very difficult to convince a buyer that the "mini particle" is not affecting the picture. It might actually be affecting the picture, but you just don't know how to tell.

As for the buyer, he has got no way of knowing, because he can't compare with a picture taken without the "mini particle."

Status
Not open for further replies.