Nikon 24-70..

mysimba

Jan 14, 2010
Jln Kayu
Hi guys,
needs feedback from guys who owns a nikon 24-70 used on a DX body...
Heard the hot spot issues and the grinding issues...
Many thks..:cool:

Enjoyed using Nikon 24-70 on DX body. Mindful that 24-70 translates to 36-105mm range for DX body.

Please with the images taken from this lens. They comes out as crisp and sharp even when images shot at wide open aperture of F2.8.

hot spot issue is overrated and i do not have grinding issues so far.

it's abit wasted on the widest end, else it's a superb lens which produce high IQ with lots of details you can't see on most consumers lens.

however, i think 17-55 f2.8 is a better choice (covers wider angle) if you do not switch to FX body.

it's abit wasted on the widest end, else it's a superb lens which produce high IQ with lots of details you can't see on most consumers lens.

however, i think 17-55 f2.8 is a better choice (covers wider angle) if you do not switch to FX body.

Yes fully agreed that if u are shooting DX only 17-55mm is better choice as it is wider. 17-55mm DX is equiv to 24-82 in 35mm or FX.

im using 2470 with my d7000 and its enough for me for general purpose use... had the 1735 and 1424 but in the end i was happier with the 2470 output. of cos if u need uwa, ur better off with those other lenses

Hi, I complain alot about the 24-70 weight just because my own weak hands. I enjoy every shot come out from the lens. Photography is my hobby and I offered a lot of free shooting for friends, family memebers and office events, mostly shoot with 24-70 sometime at tight spot I use tokina 11-16mm but not often. Just that 24-70mm has no VR is a problem for me may not be for you.

Hi, I complain alot about the 24-70 weight just because my own weak hands. I enjoy every shot come out from the lens. Photography is my hobby and I offered a lot of free shooting for friends, family memebers and office events, mostly shoot with 24-70 sometime at tight spot I use tokina 11-16mm but not often. Just that 24-70mm has no VR is a problem for me may not be for you.

juz up the min shutter speed to 1/100 and see.

Hi guys,
needs feedback from guys who owns a nikon 24-70 used on a DX body...
Heard the hot spot issues and the grinding issues...
Many thks..:cool:

I have yet to encounter the issues that you have raised while using this great lens, however do be mindful that the 24-70 is indeed heavy. Unless you are really determined that you can accept the weight it is not advisable to buy it.
Just mine honest opinion.

Thks guys for the advise..
Sold off my 70-200 vr2 as cant get good shot with many people standing in front of you...sigh...
Weight is another thing...
Thats y thinking of 24-70 for wedding ang potraits...
Bearing in mind as it becomes 36-105 on dx body...
Tried 17-55,but due to its price,might as well go with 24-70 if future needs to upgrade to fx..

Last edited:
Thks guys for the advise..
Sold off my 70-200 vr2 as cant get good shot with many people standing in front of you...sigh...
Weight is another thing...
Tried 17-55,but due to its price,might as well go with 24-70 if future needs to upgrade to fx..

owning both lens.
to me, its it a great lens for outdoor and portrait. however, it will be very tight if you going to shoot indoor especially wedding. you may not have the space to step back.
you better try the lens first if you really want to buy this lens on DX.

For weddings and events, the 17-55/2.8 will be more suitable if you are on DX. On FX, 24-70/2.8 will be a great choice.

Personally I use neither.

to TS, there is always lens for budget constraint users.. look for tamron 17-50 f2.8.
there should be many users here using that. half of nikon price, sharpness not compromised. light weight, though not tank built but do you drop your cam or do u venture into forest or desert? if not, tammy is the savior :)

for weddings, on DX, the 24-70 will be a little tight. not just for group shots but also if you want venue shots that cover wall-to-wall or floor-to-ceiling.

many folk talk about 'in the future, may upgrade to FX'. but how soon? if you aren't going to upgrade to FX in the next 12 months, i'd recommend going with the 17-55.

Thks to all views,just got my 24-70 nikon few mins ago.

24-70 is a good lens. No regret and look back after getting one a year ago. Pic is sharp and clean.
Bro mysimba, mind to share how much did you pay for that?

haha,thks baggiolee...

Make calls to some shops offering as low as $2600...
But since im at a shop offering $2630 and due to time constrain..i just grab n go...

Thks to all views,just got my 24-70 nikon few mins ago.

Mine feeling is that a lot of people gave up on the 24-70 after the excitment wears out and the lens becomes a burden to carry around due to its heavy weight.
Anyway enjoy while you are still thrill about the purchase!! Its is sure a great lens.

2470 is my walkabout lens and i dont find it heavy at all... now the 70200vr2 is another beast altogether and will give me aches after carrying around for a day. both of them together a pain to lug around but we have to sacrifice sometimes hehe

should try carrying around the big ones like 200mm f2, so when you go back to 2470 it almost feels like nothing hehe

Either you love it or hate it...
I got mine few months back and love it dearly ...bring it almost everywhere I go. Now waiting for the new FX to come and, I think it's perfect.
Enjoy...