Nikon 24-70 F2.8 on full frame body

Zaknafein

Oct 29, 2005
my room
www.flickr.com
Anyone has shot using this lens on FF? How issit for portraits? What about AF speed and accuracy?

Would appreciate if u can posts sone sample pics. Thanks in advance!!

Hmm I thought this is the best standard zoom lens on planet Earth for Nikon FF DSLR, emm or even APSC Nikon DSLR?? Is there anything about this lens you are doubting or hear say anything bad about it?

Maybe you can go to Flickr and look for the 24-70 group. A piece of warning though, prepare to have a lighter wallet soon :p

Last edited:
Hahha no i dun doubt its IQ, just not sure if the focal length and AF is suitable for me. I need flexibility, and shoot candid portraits with it....

I read tat its bokeh is not very good, but wanna see if i like the bokeh from it (or hard to get shallow dof at all for this FL)

So..the best solution is.
R-E-N-T
;)

Well, would like to hear others opinions too besides renting :)

if you want a zoom lens, this is the one.

you don't have much choice, in term of quality.

and why must hear what others say instead of rent a lens and try it out yourself?

the best is see it with your own eyes, be your own judge, no one can fool you.

if people tell you it is wonderful and it will work and you buy it then find how they do their thing is not how you do your thing then what go wxxx them ? If you are a photography do the test yourself. Now you can rent and test. Blokeh is not everything trust me, the best blokeh in the world on a wrongly done people shot is meaningless. Everything is about in context with the other visual elements, and you had planned for that shot.

This is what you mention.

"Hahha no i dun doubt its IQ, just not sure if the focal length and AF is suitable for me. I need flexibility, and shoot candid portraits with it....

I read tat its bokeh is not very good, but wanna see if i like the bokeh from it (or hard to get shallow dof at all for this FL)"

You are curious...and u asked if its suitable for you. So logically how does other opinions affect yours? :dunno:
If you were to rent 1. Straightaway you can get the answer yourself. Yes or no its suitable for me. Oh i like the bokeh or not. Right? :)

Then read the post above posted by bro Catchlights. Especially the last 2 lines. Period.
Cheers.

best lens i have used till date.

sad, the weight always ties me down.

Zaknafein said:

Your question on AF speed an accuracy are all highly subjective. What one photographer seems excellent may be grossly inadequate for another. Asking for our opinions is likely to lead you nowhere.

If you require images taken with this lens, a search on Google or Flickr will provide you with millions of images instantly.

Finally, the lens is a mere pittance to rent or even to buy and sell. If you are in photography, and are considering this class of equipment, I would assume that you have sufficient financial ability to perform this simple personal evaluation.

Even if you don't, there really aren't many other choices that are as adequate, as pointed out by Catchlights. So once again, if you are eyeing this lens, it is a binary "to get it or not" choice, a choice which is greatly simplified by your lack of fiscal ability.

Last edited:
The 24-70 f2.8G is definitely the best Nikon standard zoom I have used for the past 5 years or so. Great IQ, fast AF, nice focal range, big aperture, great for indoors. Initially with DX body then now FX.

Only serious downside = weight of this lens.

Last edited:
One thing to note is that a number of users face stiff zoom barrel for this lens. Do a search quite famous for this lens. If u need f2.8 maybe can try tamron version or if u dun mind f4 then get 24-120 f4vr or if u always shoot 24mm get the best 24mm f1.4. For me I currently use primes 24mm f1.4
n 85mm f1.4

Owned it, Used it, Sold it....

I believe it needs more improvement.. Nikon CAN improve it a lot I think..... frankly its nothing special at f2.8 and is only good from 35-70mm range and then at f4 and beyond...... IMO.

Thanks for everyone's inputs... I am planning to get d600 but haven got it yet, hence renting the lens now would not be of much use (d80 now). I dun wan to rent a FF body just to test the lens now since i will be getting the body... hopefully soon.

So in the mean time, im just trying to get more info. Maybe I may get some common wisdom from bros here!! 😊

So far from reviews, im happy with the colors from it (im not too particular with sharpness). But with this focal length, it seems that its not easy to get shallow do, except at 70mm.

Yes u guys are right in that theres not much of a choice for this focal length standard zoom. Hence im weighing to get this lens with some flexibility, or stick to shooting with primes but have to change lens more often.

Btw, if anyone happen to know of a site with many pics taken with this lens on FF, ill really appreciate it if u can share with me! :)

Omega23 said:
One thing to note is that a number of users face stiff zoom barrel for this lens. Do a search quite famous for this lens. If u need f2.8 maybe can try tamron version or if u dun mind f4 then get 24-120 f4vr or if u always shoot 24mm get the best 24mm f1.4. For me I currently use primes 24mm f1.4
n 85mm f1.4

Yup i did read about it somewhere before, and will probably keep my hood on... thanks anyway!

Dfive said:
Owned it, Used it, Sold it....

I believe it needs more improvement.. Nikon CAN improve it a lot I think..... frankly its nothing special at f2.8 and is only good from 35-70mm range and then at f4 and beyond...... IMO.

Can u please elaborate on ur experiences with the lens? What do u mean nothing special at f2.8, and only good for 35-70mm at f4 and smaller?

Mmm i have read quite a few reviews... Are u talking about distortion at 24mm?

Oh btw, im looking at the 24-70 flickr grp... Thanks!

Mmm i have read quite a few reviews... Are u talking about distortion at 24mm?

Oh btw, im looking at the 24-70 flickr grp... Thanks!

Basically if your shooting it at the 35-70mm range and in the f/5.6 to f/11 range its a perfect lens... and get great results.... outside of these ranges its not so good IMO.

( I used this lens on a D300 then my D3S... after which I saw the above, disliked it and sold it... I'll wait for an updated version.. maybe... ( I'm strongly speculating in 2015... ;) lol )

But for you please buy what you need today... never based on what "may" come... something better is always coming right... :)

Dfive said:
Basically if your shooting it at the 35-70mm range and in the f/5.6 to f/11 range its a perfect lens... and get great results.... outside of these ranges its not so good IMO.

( I used this lens on a D300 then my D3S... after which I saw the above, disliked it and sold it... I'll wait for an updated version.. maybe... ( I'm strongly speculating in 2015... ;) lol )

But for you please buy what you need today... never based on what "may" come... something better is always coming right... :)

Hmmm, i should mention that i'll be probably shooting in f2.8 most of the times... I need the light and to isolate my subject.