Nikon 24-70 buzzing sound at focus ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fudgecakes

Oct 1, 2011
Planet Earth
Hi all. i just would like to check if any of the bros here have any experience with a buzzing sound coming from the focus ring of the nikkor 24-70 f2.8? The sound is like a very rapid clicking/buzzing sound when the focus ring is turned manually.

What i found out from David at P&G when i sent the lens for servicing was that the sound originated from the focus switch under the focus ring. It's just a minor cosmetic issue but i feel uneasy when i hear the sound. Is it supposed to be there?

Further David told me that the AFS motor had some carbon built up and that i should recondition the motor. He offered to do it for me for $380 which i felt was okay since he assured me that it will work like new once again and also it was much cheaper than fixing it at NSC (labour alone will cost $400 =O) I have no experience with the term "recondition" thus is there anyone here who can explain the process to me? =O

I experienced that too when using the lens at manual mode.
Anyway, I do not use manual. So still ok to me.

rodel said:
I experienced that too when using the lens at manual mode.
Anyway, I do not use manual. So still ok to me.

I use manual sometimes especially in low light situations. Te buzzing sound unnerves me. Makes me think that something is wrong inside

Hi all. i just would like to check if any of the bros here have any experience with a buzzing sound coming from the focus ring of the nikkor 24-70 f2.8? The sound is like a very rapid clicking/buzzing sound when the focus ring is turned manually.

What i found out from David at P&G when i sent the lens for servicing was that the sound originated from the focus switch under the focus ring. It's just a minor cosmetic issue but i feel uneasy when i hear the sound. Is it supposed to be there?

Further David told me that the AFS motor had some carbon built up and that i should recondition the motor. He offered to do it for me for $380 which i felt was okay since he assured me that it will work like new once again and also it was much cheaper than fixing it at NSC (labour alone will cost $400 =O) I have no experience with the term "recondition" thus is there anyone here who can explain the process to me? =O

Why dun you bring down to NSC to ask for a quotation first before making a sound decision?

burboy said:
Why dun you bring down to NSC to ask for a quotation first before making a sound decision?

I did. They quoted me $980. The lady at the counter said the labour charge alone will be 400.

Nikon servicing is pretty expensive..

I have no buzzing on mine.

I would suggest you get more quotes from other repair establishments as well.

I got from P&G already. I let him repaired it actually but when I went to collect it last week it had a weird focus hunting issue so I left it there again.

I got from P&G already. I let him repaired it actually but when I went to collect it last week it had a weird focus hunting issue so I left it there again.

ok.. no point talking about it I guess, since it is after the fact.

daredevil123 said:
ok.. no point talking about it I guess, since it is after the fact.

I do have a question however. Before I sent in the lens, it focused alright. However when I went to collect it, it suddenly had this focus hunting problem thative never seen before. David was kind enough to say he'll redo everything that he did for me originally however, he mentioned that he may need to requote me if something is wrong inside. If that's the case, should I take his requote if say his requote is higher a it covers a problem that was not there in the first place?

I do have a question however. Before I sent in the lens, it focused alright. However when I went to collect it, it suddenly had this focus hunting problem thative never seen before. David was kind enough to say he'll redo everything that he did for me originally however, he mentioned that he may need to requote me if something is wrong inside. If that's the case, should I take his requote if say his requote is higher a it covers a problem that was not there in the first place?

You already sent the lens to him, I do not think you have a choice...

May i know how old is your lens?

White Wolf said:
May i know how old is your lens?

I got it second hand So I'm not so sure but it's definitely more than 1 year old

crazypaladin said:
Read a few threads in this forum about 24-70mm and sounds like a lot of problem for this expensive lens. I am worried cos I own one also and most reported problems after a year of usage.

Well I'm sure there are more users who have no problems with them such as bro daredevil etc :)

Fudgecakes said:
Ikr. Poor student like me cannot afford :(

Understand that NSC charges are not cheap for a repairing if any AF-S F2.8 lens but...
Wao... Poor student can afford a Nikon AF-S 24-70 F2.8 lens that cost easily about $2.5K SGD and cannot afford the repair. :sweat:

jnet6 said:
Understand that NSC charges are not cheap for a repairing if any AF-S F2.8 lens but...
Wao... Poor student can afford a Nikon AF-S 24-70 F2.8 lens that cost easily about $2.5K SGD and cannot afford the repair. :sweat:

Unfortunately this student has to suffer not spending a single cent for 7 months before he can afford it. Not fun yknow.

Status
Not open for further replies.