Nikon 18-70mm enough for wedding shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahsosl1e8

Sep 18, 2005
A collegue of mine requested me to take AD pics for his wedding as the main photog since he's a bit tight on the budget. It's gonna be my first wedding shoot, and after seeing pics at "wedding portfolios", i quite stressed to produce.

I have now only a 18-70mm, and a borrowed sb600. Would it suffice?

On second thoughts, I'm thinking of getting the 50mm f1.8 for available light photography, as well as shallow bokeh for decos. Would it be recommended, or would the fixed focal length limit its flexiblilty? Should i save up for the mid zoom f2.8s instead?

A collegue of mine requested me to take AD pics for his wedding as the main photog since he's a bit tight on the budget. It's gonna be my first wedding shoot, and after seeing pics at "wedding portfolios", i quite stressed to produce.

I have now only a 18-70mm, and a borrowed sb600. Would it suffice?

On second thoughts, I'm thinking of getting the 50mm f1.8 for available light photography, as well as shallow bokeh for decos. Would it be recommended, or would the fixed focal length limit its flexiblilty? Should i save up for the mid zoom f2.8s instead?

If u can avoid it, dun shoot cause it is your friend's only memories. Not that u are bad but lack of experience. If your friend is really tight, then no choice loh.

Few qns,
Can I check where is the wedding dinner held? If dinner is held at ballroom, the kit lens may have problems unless u intend to shoot raw.

No point having a 50mm F1.8 cause most of the time, you are stucked with wide angle. If u can afford it and I assume u are using D70, get the Sigma 18 to 50mm F2.8. Can check out my unedited shots at the wedding section under Another Malay wedding. All shot in JPEG mode.

Well, i would recommend you get a wide angle zoom instead. The 50mm f1.8 is redundant because you already have a zoom in that range. Although, the 70mm is cutting it a bit short, but if you are allowed the freedom of movement during the event, it should be fine for some nice portrait shots up close. Most important is to learn to use the flash. Don't go there with the intention of shooting everything straight on. Use bounced flash whenever possible and when not possible, try to use softer lighting from a flash attachment or white card.

Depends on what you looking for..the 18-70 is a good lens (of course a 17-55 2.8 lens will be even better)..a good approach would be to rent an additional d50 or d70 and fix a 50mm 1.4 (or 1.8) lens. This way you wont need to change the lens and also trust me..the 50mm lens will get you great shots of people and the things using avail light..besides since you are the main photog, the additional body will also act as backup.

A wide angle lens is not a bad idea..although personally i seldom use it for weddings..i prefer a fisheye to add the wide and dramatic effects.

Suggest also you get the Sb800 as it comes with the additional battery compartment..better still top it up with the sd8A, and you will be sure you wont miss a shot because your flash is still recycling..

If u can avoid it, dun shoot cause it is your friend's only memories. Not that u are bad but lack of experience. If your friend is really tight, then no choice loh.

To this I agree.If you too, think that you cannot produce, then it might be safer to ask your friend go for another photographer instead.
As CreaXion has said, its your collegue's only memories for that day.
He might think that you will be able to produce good photos just because you own a DSLR(we cannot get away from the fact that some, if not most non-photographers think this way), and if you do not produce photos up to his expectations, it might be a big disappointment for him.

However, if you are still going ahead with it, Yes a 18-70mm is good enough for weddings.
You might also wanna borrow a 80-200f2.8 in case you wana shoot people from afar.

50mmf1.8 is a good to have for weddings in case you want to do ambient light shooting, and since it isnt much of a weight, just include it anyway.;p

Remember your spares for batteries and just to be on the safe side, a spare body will do good IMO.

:)

To this I agree.If you too, think that you cannot produce, then it might be safer to ask your friend go for another photographer instead.
As CreaXion has said, its your collegue's only memories for that day.
He might think that you will be able to produce good photos just because you own a DSLR(we cannot get away from the fact that some, if not most non-photographers think this way), and if you do not produce photos up to his expectations, it might be a big disappointment for him.

I understand the situation, and have highlighted my concerns to him. Anyway, i've managed to pull in a photojournalist friend to help out as well :sweat:

Suggest also you get the Sb800 as it comes with the additional battery compartment..better still top it up with the sd8A, and you will be sure you wont miss a shot because your flash is still recycling..

The ceiling is low and i'm using a bounce card. Shouldn't waste too much flash right? The sb800 + sd8a seems out of my league in terms of pricing (sb600 is already a borrowed one, while i use cheapo flash for myself :confused: )

Actually...

it's sufficient since you have a flash. You're gonna be shooting at f5.6 or so anyway. ;)

Just time the shots accordingly to allow the flash to recover a bit and bring more batteries... And remind him that you're working on a budget, so he won't expect the pro gears...

Few qns,
Can I check where is the wedding dinner held? If dinner is held at ballroom, the kit lens may have problems unless u intend to shoot raw.

Why would it be a problem? Colour cast? or? Care to share? :think:

I use the same combi to shoot wedding.
18-70 is surprisingly sufficient, with an SB600 or SB800.
However, if possible, do get a fast lens, in your case, 50 1.8 would be good,
especially during dinner march in, u wun want to use flash to spoil the mood. :)

18-70 no problem lah.. i've even seen 28-70 (on digital body) used throughout the whole day also no problem.

If you've got flash and your flash photography skill is good. You don't really need a 2.8 lens cos most of the time you'll be shoot at f/8 or slower anyway.. but please don't take it as a golden rule.

first time taking AD? :thumbsup: good luck!

Why would it be a problem? Colour cast? or? Care to share? :think:

Basically, the lens is a good lens. It is very sharp for a kit lens. The brown colour cast won't even be noticeable unless u are so used to seeing colours.

Outdoors wise, the 18 - 70 lens won't produce a brown cast. The brown cast will only be noticeable in indoor settings. Some will attribute to a white balance problem which I agree to a certain extent. I have tried to override it with various settings but only succeeded to a certain extent. The problem only disappear when I changed to a F2.8 lens. However, the problem of brown cast is not noticeable even to me at first and therefore will not be noticeable to laymen. It was only noticeable to me only when I first compared my photos with another photographer's photo. Then it became very very obvious.

Adding to the problem of having an 18 - 70mm lens is the ability to shoot white and shiny items. Due to the lack of depth in the lens, white agst white became a problem when u use the flash. Since I take Malay weddings and their clothes are shiny, it will become worse when shooting white gowns. I have to underexpose the photo so that the clothes dun get burnt but in the process, the skin became underexpose. When i changed to the 2.8 lens, problem resolved cause there are more details and the details are captured without having to underexpose the photo.

Anyway to the TS, be careful with the 18 - 70mm lens at wide angle. Barrel distortion will come in during table shots. Therefore be careful with the wide angle

Basically, the lens is a good lens. It is very sharp for a kit lens. The brown colour cast won't even be noticeable unless u are so used to seeing colours.

Outdoors wise, the 18 - 70 lens won't produce a brown cast. The brown cast will only be noticeable in indoor settings. Some will attribute to a white balance problem which I agree to a certain extent. I have tried to override it with various settings but only succeeded to a certain extent. The problem only disappear when I changed to a F2.8 lens. However, the problem of brown cast is not noticeable even to me at first and therefore will not be noticeable to laymen. It was only noticeable to me only when I first compared my photos with another photographer's photo. Then it became very very obvious.

Adding to the problem of having an 18 - 70mm lens is the ability to shoot white and shiny items. Due to the lack of depth in the lens, white agst white became a problem when u use the flash. Since I take Malay weddings and their clothes are shiny, it will become worse when shooting white gowns. I have to underexpose the photo so that the clothes dun get burnt but in the process, the skin became underexpose. When i changed to the 2.8 lens, problem resolved cause there are more details and the details are captured without having to underexpose the photo.

Anyway to the TS, be careful with the 18 - 70mm lens at wide angle. Barrel distortion will come in during table shots. Therefore be careful with the wide angle

I believe the issue you're talking about is more on the exposure control and white balance... but then again, I rarely shoot with the 18-70 anyway.

I believe the issue you're talking about is more on the exposure control and white balance... but then again, I rarely shoot with the 18-70 anyway.

Exposure control and white balance are just some of the issues with the lens. Let's put it this way, it is only a kit and kit lens has their limitation or else the 2.8 lens no biz liao.

Can always consider renting some of the lens/equipments that you know you will need. but than...AD is always so rush that you won't have much time to change too many lens. :)

Good luck!

If inexperienced photographer, wil have more success with just 1 lens.

If this is your first weeding shooting, it is better to ask someone else to help to cover the weeding.

My setup D70s with 18-70mm kit lens and SB-800 flash. If you are using SB-600, you may want to increase ASA/ISO to 400.

Lesson learn few month back when I am helping covering my sister in law weeding:
1. Only use the equipment you are familiar with.
2. Shoot RAW.
3. Use several memory cards is better than single big memory card. 4x1GB is better than 1x4GB.

Regards,
Arto.

If this is your first weeding shooting, it is better to ask someone else to help to cover the weeding.

My setup D70s with 18-70mm kit lens and SB-800 flash. If you are using SB-600, you may want to increase ASA/ISO to 400.

Lesson learn few month back when I am helping covering my sister in law weeding:
1. Only use the equipment you are familiar with.
2. Use several memory cards is better than single big memory card. 4x1GB is better than 1x4GB.

Regards,
Arto.

Better than get 1 corrupted card. Trust us on this.

equipment is ok. the main part though is the photographer. unless u have experience covering weddings before (at least as a backup), u might want to set the expectation levels accordingly.

equipment is OK

but set iso to 400 to help conserve flash battery and recycling time

bring extra batteries and CF cards
buy new socks and easyon/easyoff shoes

good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.