Nikon 18-70 DX AFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel

Jun 3, 2002
EPS
Visit site
Hello all....with the current wave of people selling the above lens, I'd like to hear honest opinion of what you guys have on the above lens. The good and the bad. And why are they being sold off. Thank you.

For that kinda price, it's a really good lens. What I like is the range it has, preferable for a 1.5x DSLR.
I'm selling mine cos in need of cash.
Sad to say, but have to bro.. ;) Hope to start all over again after that.

Until I am ready to spend more then 2k on a lense, I'll hang on to my kit lense. I don't know why many are selling. It's probably due to upgrading to faster lense. It makes sense to upgrade your short focal lengths first, since it's the most commonly used.

iz_k said:
For that kinda price, it's a really good lens. What I like is the range it has, preferable for a 1.5x DSLR.
I'm selling mine cos in need of cash.
Sad to say, but have to bro.. ;) Hope to start all over again after that.

Why is there a need for you to elaborate with that 1.5X here???

I remember year ago when turbo pascal was famous, everything software has turbo there... Then dot com.... then irrelevance...

bernards said:
It makes sense to upgrade your short focal lengths first, since it's the most commonly used.

It makes more sense to know why you need a particular len and what it can do for you, not to buy just because you can afford it.

No need to into a deep thesis on why some people upgrade lenses. The ycan afford a better, want a better and benefit from a better. Assuming they use it. Fair enough. I don't want to spend too much time wondering why they do it. Since my business is not selling lenses.

swhyge said:
Why is there a need for you to elaborate with that 1.5X here???

I remember year ago when turbo pascal was famous, everything software has turbo there... Then dot com.... then irrelevance...

cos the 1.5x makes the effective range of a 18-70mm becomes 27-105mm.
it's not 1.5x faster like the turbo in turbo pascal...

Gentlemen, please dun OT here...cause I'm buying this lens soon to replace my 24-85 cause I need the focal length of this lens. I've had my fair share of pro lenses the 28-70 AFS, 80-200 AFS....even the wide 20mm, 24mm, the macro 60/105, to name a few....all these are superb lenses....but then, they are just too many too carry for one assigment or the focal length is just not right.
This lens has the perfect focal length for mw. The only gripe is, its not fast enough...
so please keep the inputs relevant to the heading please...

The 18-70mm is a very good lens for the price. Provides a great range, is small and light, focusing is quite quick, contrast and colour is good.

Bjorn Roslett of naturfotograf.com rates it very well - read his description of the lens here http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom.html if you haven't already.

Honestly speaking, I feel its a good lens to have because of the range it offers. Sure, it may not be a 'fast' lens, but you have to ask yourself, how often do you shoot at f/2.8 anyways? A faster lens does have its advantages, i.e. in bad lighting etc, but I mostly use this lens for landscapes and scenery shots etc, which mostly requires apertures larger than f/5.6-f8, so its not a problem.

The price is great is you consider that you're getting an AF-S, ED lens with nice range :)

my 0.02

I don't know exactly why some people are selling, except for those who already own a better "fast" lens.

This lens is excellent for all round multi-purpose usage given the range it offers. I find it very useful. :)

Gymrat76 said:
Honestly speaking, I feel its a good lens to have because of the range it offers. Sure, it may not be a 'fast' lens, but you have to ask yourself, how often do you shoot at f/2.8 anyways? A faster lens does have its advantages, i.e. in bad lighting etc, but I mostly use this lens for landscapes and scenery shots etc, which mostly requires apertures larger than f/5.6-f8, so its not a problem.

The price is great is you consider that you're getting an AF-S, ED lens with nice range :)

my 0.02

Doesnt a brighter lens allow the cam to focus better/faster as well? ;) esp for prosumer bodies which may not focus properly beyond f5.6. :dunno:

It is a good lens and one to carry around on "light" days and one of the most useful range. I sold my away when I had my D70 and purchased one back again after some thoughts and never regretted it.

personally i feel that at f3.5 the lens is already very fast....so i dun see much of a problem...other than the fact that there is no aperature ring thus it doesnt work wif my film....

i hav to keep my 28-80 f2.8 for film.....if only the lens wasnt dx ahhaha.....
now i also dunno how to upgrade....normally WA like 19-35 the aperture i dun require it to be 2.8.....

but the kit lens is great la.....definately worth the money spent..

This lens is a true gem.
ED element, shoot open at f/8 and pix still turns ok.
[well the wide end distortion is somehow quite horrible :D]

And for $500 wide lens .... you dun have to be really careful when handling it ;)

Thank you for the constructive replies...Judging from what I've been reading, I'm practically 3/4 way there...only if my lens can leave me by this weekend...then its on to the 18-70. Thank you once again. Oh...but please keep it coming...I like to hear more reviews.

Generally it is a good multipurpose lens that has all the ED AFS features and at a good price. the only gripe is that the wide end distortion is apparent and there is a characteristic blue tint that is confirmed by the Nikon care centre ppl....u got to compensate by adjusting ur white balance....it is not so sharp at F3.5 i say...but is all up to to preferences....the quality is good enough for general usage and events covering....after all it is the photographer that matters more...

Not fast enough? unless you are shooting in low light or close-up! Most of
the time you will be shooting in brightly lit places!! The AFS is more than capable to handle most situations. I was shooting my 1.5 yrs son in the pool on a cloudy day using 'p' mode and the photos was top!

About the wide-angle distortion and tinting, you can adjust by shooting within
the guided frame in the viewfinder and crop the edges later. Alternatively you
can use PS or NC to clean the distortion or tiniting. So no issue.

The key thing is the lens auto-focus fast enough and sharp for your
environment and if not (like above situation) work around it.

For the price, of $450 it is really worth it since it is difficult to get it
as a standalone lens at $500 from CP. Nikon is selling it with the D70.

But do becareful with those release before Jun 2004. Some batches have QC
problem. That may be the reasons why some users are complaining abt tinting and back-focus problem.

just in case, Gabriel, you plan to use it with a DSLR right? The 18-70 will vignet on a film camera.

I'm planning to use it with the S2Pro....
So how do I know the batch that has got the QC problem? Any serial number range?

Status
Not open for further replies.