Nikon 18-70, 24-120 and Sigma 18-125

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Jan 24, 2002
Singapore
8dennis8.fotki.com
For those who are considering the above lens as a standard walk around lens here are some simple comparision of the 3 lens above for centre and corner sharpness.

http://community.webshots.com/album/195634918mvJAbD

Total of some 36 photos, information of the photos are the title itself.
eg, the first 2 shot shows both the 18-70 and the 18-125 taken at 18mm and follow by centre and corner crop etc.

I will not go into details.
In short the Nikon 18-70 lens is still better in all ranges and aperture especially corner sharpness. 24-120 only advantage is VR and is soft at wide and corner as well. One other thing is that the Sigma 18-125 display a little warmer colour than the other 2 lens. Can't tell much as I do not have a calibrated monitor.

So for those thinking of selling the 18-70 better think twice.

i actually traded my 24-120 VR for the 18-70mm too,find that the kit lens perform better.

Good work Dennis... thanks for the effort in putting this together. Confirms that the 18-70mm is a very good value for money lens.

This is not the first time I read good comments on this kit lens. Many foreign photo sites say the same thing. It's diffinitely a lens to keep.

hi dennis,

thank you for sharing your photos and comparison between the lenses. btw, are you using the nikon d70? i notice some of your 18-70 photos are not very sharp.
i was comparing to those i've taken not too long ago. you can see them here.

Yes, conditions were not good during the test, you will also notice that the picture is not even leveled properly, exposure also not consistent and was taken in a haste. The primary objective is only to show the different lens and it does the job. BTW nice photos you have.

glutton said:
hi dennis,

thank you for sharing your photos and comparison between the lenses. btw, are you using the nikon d70? i notice some of your 18-70 photos are not very sharp.
i was comparing to those i've taken not too long ago. you can see them here.

cool. as long as its not the equipment problem.

i was lucky because the sky was very blue that day, just like today. maybe should go out and snap some photos later.

Ha ha ha, I was lucky too and it started to drizzle almost immediately after the last shot. Originally wanted to do it with the 17-55 as well but alas no chance to take it out and I thought it not so appropriate to compare with the rest.

glutton said:
cool. as long as its not the equipment problem.

i was lucky because the sky was very blue that day, just like today. maybe should go out and snap some photos later.

Added 2 extra dragonfly to show what the Sigma is capable of in close range. Not true macro but can be crop to show details as well. Taken while waiting for bus at bus stop.

I have both the sigma 18-125 and nikkor 18-70 as well. Actually, I find the sigma quite close to the nikkor in terms of sharpness. Focus speed of sigma is a bit slower but acceptable; focus sound is louder of course, but that is not a problem for me. The extra reach at 125mm is very useful for me. Now the problem is whether to keep the sigma for the better zoom range, or to keep the nikon for the "brand" and the little extra sharperness. One has to go ....

Status
Not open for further replies.