NIKON 18-200mm VR

Status
Not open for further replies.
wot is fast lense ... mind explaning ... :dunno: ... noob here ...

VR will help minimise the blur from your shaky hands by countering that motion. It cannot reduce blur from a subject that is moving around. Hence, you still need a fast lens, in order to get a faster shutter speed that will freeze the motion.

in that case, I think I'll stick to my current lense and save up a bit more.
wot other lense would u'all recomends instead of nikon ... ;p

in that case, I think I'll stick to my current lense and save up a bit more.
wot other lense would u'all recomends instead of nikon ... ;p

Depends on what you're shooting, what kind of focal length you need. If you need a medium tele, a 50/1.8 is economical. I'm using Sigma 24/1.8 to shoot my baby. Under a 32W fluorescent lamp on the ceiling, at ISO200 (D70s) I'm able to manage 1/15 shutter speeds at f/1.8~f/2.0. If the baby is moving a lot, then I'll have to up the ISO higher to give me a faster shutter speed but at the expense of some noise.

this photo was taken indoors ... lense AF 50mm f/1.8D.
please give some comments ... thanks

OT a bit. Hmm! this boy look familiar, think i saw him before at Sunplaza. Big eyes and so cute!:lovegrin:

tat means the lens (NIKON 18-200mm VR ) not every good for night landscape shots?

Hi IONSOON,

There is no disadvantage on using this lens for landscape night shoot, as you'll be most probably be shooting f/8-f/16 on a tripod. It will only be at a disadvantage when you need to freeze moving objects in low light condition, where you'll need a fast lens (lens with larger aperture).

i thought i'm the only one with huge pile of tracks and
20 thomas and friends trains. a big mess from my son to occupy
7' of my living room. during cleaning, my wife will just use her vacuum
and create a hurricane aftermath for that. :bsmilie: i'll hv to build later.

for the photo, you can close up to just face, hands and that train.
move in closer (imo 40-50cm min working range for this lens) and
you'll be surprise by the result. :eek:

you have 50mm f1.8d, i don't think you will like slow lens.
given the fact that you want to take low light shots.
my exp, for kids indoor shots, minimum shutter speed 1/80s or 1/200s
if they are running to freeze the action.

i'm using 50mm f1.4d and it is superb at low light and i can even
do 1/60s f1.4 indoor/poor lighting with very good result, smooth bokeh.

i find my f3.5 kit lens a little hard to work with for llight indoor shots w/o flash,
reckon the same for 18-200mm VR.

if you have the budget, you may want to consider 1 of the nikon trinity,
70-200mm f2.8 VR. very good feedback too from csers. :thumbsup:

i've been considering for this, just that i'm holding back
to find out more options incl. 3rd party for a longer range from
300 & above; birds in particular, can't resist those colourful kingfishers,
birds, etc that i saw with fast lens in CS. price wise....:sweat:

just sharing my thoughts.

cheers

if you have the budget, you may want to consider 1 of the nikon trinity,
70-200mm f2.8 VR. very good feedback too from csers. :thumbsup:

cheers

gee ... tis baby will definately burn me pocket.
and shez almost 4k ... :sweat:

I wonder. If 18-200 VR not a fast lense, wot if I increase ISO and ... :think:
I think I'll borrow me friend lense and try it out.
Will post pix soon ... ;)

its less than 3k, check Yatlapball price guide and i've asked before
at J316. it does hv its resale value if you protect your eqmts in gd cond.
try out 18-200mm VR indoor first, upload and view those shots
on your pc, blow up to actual pixel, not on cam. :)

Hi IONSOON,

There is no disadvantage on using this lens for landscape night shoot, as you'll be most probably be shooting f/8-f/16 on a tripod. It will only be at a disadvantage when you need to freeze moving objects in low light condition, where you'll need a fast lens (lens with larger aperture).

thanks on the advice .. me newbie on lens

1st night shot with the lens and D80 after a few hours getting both. Taken at ISO 400, 1/4 at f/5 and with no tripod or any support.
CSC_0003_r.jpg

100% crop with full EXIF
CSC_0003.jpg

1st night shot with the lens and D80 after a few hours getting both. Taken at ISO 400, 1/4 at f/5 and with no tripod or any support.
CSC_0003_r.jpg

100% crop with full EXIF
CSC_0003.jpg

Are you sure that no tripod or support used? Even pro cannot hand held and take shots with 1/4 shutter?

Amazing... how do you do it? I wonder

Are you sure that no tripod or support used? Even pro cannot hand held and take shots with 1/4 shutter?

Nothing is impossible or Impossible is nothing :p

I have tried the lens a few times at different shops but do not know why the shots do not differ much from what I normally get from 18-135. Thus, in the end, did not buy. :dunno:

With VR it's possible.

An 18-200mm VR would be a great all round travel lens. Light and you can get the focal length u need instead of carrying several heavy primes. Also saves the trouble of changing lens on the go and capture moments.

If u r shooting travelling and buildings / landscape you do not really need the large apperture per se as well. VR helps as well

But of course the quality of a zoom cannot compare to the good primes. a tradeoff. I would get an 18-200 for my next trip, and at moments when i have that time to compose i will still be anal enough to switch to primes.

You can read the reviews by Thom Hogan online about 18-200mm VR.

I am pretty impressed.

70-200mm VR is a gem but just a tad heavy, and u will need another lens to get the wide angle end

ok, support have a bit la.
remember army daze at range. sitting posture, leg wide open, elbow on knee and observe ur breath, then snap(squeeze) under control.;p

ok, support have a bit la.
remember army daze at range. sitting posture, leg wide open, elbow on knee and observe ur breath, then snap(squeeze) under control.;p

Sorry off-the-track alittle. Basket, I drop my 18-200VR (about 1 1/2 feet down from table). My heart suddenly stop beating for a few seconds. Tried using it, seems ok. Did this happen to any bros?? Will my costly baby by ok?? thanks. :dunno:

With VR it's possible.

Yes I second that answer. With VR it is really possible to shoot at 1/4s, tried that when I first got my 18-200 VR, was curious to test its limits. Though not tack sharp and getting it blur half the time, decent pictures are still possible at 1/4s.

Sorry off-the-track alittle. Basket, I drop my 18-200VR (about 1 1/2 feet down from table). My heart suddenly stop beating for a few seconds. Tried using it, seems ok. Did this happen to any bros?? Will my costly baby by ok?? thanks. :dunno:

You probably wanna check if the VR still works, SWM smooth and slient, zoom/manual focus functions smoothly and shots sharp as before. Should be ok I think. There are many many unintentional "drop test" carried out by owners who actually posted on Ken Rockwell's page on the 18-200 VR. Its surprisingly rugged. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.