Nikon 18-200mm not really 200mm at close range??

Status
Not open for further replies.

unseen

Dec 14, 2004
NTU and Wdls
http://www.cameralabs.com/features/18200_issue/

point is, unless focused at infinity, the 200mm end of the 18-200 is only like 135mm.
Is this observed with the other 18-200mm lenses? Sigma? Tamron? Tokina?

Are there other known zoom lenses where this anomaly is observed?

Good reading, thanks!

Maybe can get better answer if thread post in Nikon forum?

Regards,
Arto.

Hmmmm actually I'm not looking for nikon users to post. I'm looking for any one with an non Nikon 18-200VR lens.. To see if this problem exists in other 18-200 lenses..

Most modern zoom lenses are vari-focal, their focal length will change as they focus closer, some more noticeable than others.

Changing focal length as the lens focuses closer is also a side effect of lenses with an internal focusing design (even primes).

Not only zooms are affected, most dedicated macro lens that goes to 1:1 are also vari-focal (starts from 1:2 to 1:1)

Actually I think its better to post here - anything mildly negative posted in the Nikon forum will be met with bombardments or OTs by brand zealots, until the original point of the thread is lost (or maybe thats what they intend to do, bury negatives with all that smoke)

But then again, maybe this isn't really a negative thing - but you never know how others interpret it heh :)

Artosoft said:
Good reading, thanks!

Maybe can get better answer if thread post in Nikon forum?

Regards,
Arto.

I've experienced this effect on my Nikkor AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G too. I'm considering the 18-200mm for a future purchase when the price goes down. For me this effect is acceptable considering the small size of this lens and having such a large window of focal lengths to choose from.

I'm curious though, does this effect happen on the AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G too? Maybe to a lesser extent or none at all? It would be nice if an owner of that lens could clarify. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.