Nikon 16-85mm VR Lens

Donald Lim

Oct 20, 2010
Hi

Can any one please advice me in regard to the performance of the above lens?

Donald Lim

Google for the reviews
Generally, positive reviews. Sharp at all apertures and focal lengths except at 85mm. Useful VR. Not for bokeh lover.

I have this lens, I find it better than the 18-105 and 18-200 both of which I have as well.
Its extremely sharp and the wider 16mm end is especially useful for landscape and general photography. You will not regret buying it, although bit expensive compared to the 18-105 or 18-70 or 18-200. Even at 85mm fully acceptable in my opinion.

Regards

Review of this lens is pretty good.
Unfortunately this lens is less popular compared with 18-105 or 18-200.

saw many good review on this lens :)

sharp and a good walkabout lens since its really light. of course with SWM and VR.

Thank you all for your comments on the above lens.

Regards

Donald im

any1 tried using 16-85 for event?

any1 tried using 16-85 for event?

what type of events?

if its for low light/dim condition, I don't recommend it to be used. great for day & outdoor events. unless the event you cover can use flash.

it's a great lens, one of the best standard DX zooms. but then again, do u shoot at such focal lengths often? if u tend to shoot in the tele range, u wun enjoy using this lens, coz it will leave u craving for a tele lens since it only reaches up to 85mm.

why don't u try sigma 17-70mm?

i love it for its reproduction rate of 1:2 which i can use it to do macro shots

Used to own this lens, in terms of performance the IQ is great
Some people may prefer the 18-200mm because of the additional tele range, but many people and reviews have concluded that its IQ is nowhere as good when compared to the 16-85mm
Plus the additional 2mm wide is very handy if you shoot wides quite often

Google for the reviews
Generally, positive reviews. Sharp at all apertures and focal lengths except at 85mm. Useful VR. Not for bokeh lover.

Agree...:thumbsup::cool:

Very good lens, except that it is also good at sucking in dust.

Last edited:
This is a sharp lens with very effective VR. I prefer this lens to Nikkor 17-55, which I sold.

Hi, The Chef. Have u ever compare this lens to Tamron 17-50? I'm thinking of purchasing this lens.

Hi, The Chef. Have u ever compare this lens to Tamron 17-50? I'm thinking of purchasing this lens.

I have used both.
If you can get a sharp copy of the tamron, go for it.
But, stick with the nikon if you don't want to the hassle of finding a good copy (they are always spot on).
I tried three tamron 17-50 lenses at OP and found only one sharp when I bought mine.
The other two focusing were off.

Tks Abang R.