Nikon 105mm macro VR with TC

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurboiboi

Jan 8, 2003
Loyang
blurboiboi.instantlogic.com
Hi all...
would like to find out if any one of you guys had used the above mentioned lens with a teleconvertor??... rather concern about the IQ and VR after a TC is attached.... does the IQ drops significantly??... will the VR work after the focal length is extended???....

if VR works fine... which TC would you guys recommend me getting to compliment the lens??

Thanks for reading!!!

I have the TC14E for some time, using it mostly for my 70 - 200 mm. Got the 105 mm not long ago. Works just as well. It gives my FX body almost the same reach as my previous DX cam. ALL the VR and autofocus works (probably not so important for macro work, but great if you use for portrait shots). I don't see any significant image quality deterioration. But then I am not a sharpness freak.

The reason I got the TC14 was that it preserves image quality and minimize light loss. Only 1.4X but just 1 stop of light loss. For the fast lens such as 70-200 and 105 at 2.8 (98 - 280 mm F4 and 147 mm F4), this is not much an issue.

TC17 gives 1.7X and 1.5 stop of light loss. From what I read before, better to stay away from TC20. I don't have TC17, so can't comment on its quality, but autofoucus and VR functions should be identical to TC14E.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have the TC14E for some time, using it mostly for my 70 - 200 mm. Got the 105 not long ago. Works very well. It gives my FX body the same reach as my DX cam before. ALL the VR and autofocus works as well (probably not so important for macro work). I don't see any significant image quality deterioration. But then I am not a sharpness freak.

Hope this helps.

thanks duffy!!... I am more particular about VR infact... as the 105mm is one hell a sharp lens... why VR?... cos my macro works involves butterflies... and I do not have the luxury of time setting up tripod etc... its more like shoot and run kind of thingy....

btw... how much you gotten your TC for??...
is the sigma one good too??...

thanks!

thanks duffy!!... I am more particular about VR infact... as the 105mm is one hell a sharp lens... why VR?... cos my macro works involves butterflies... and I do not have the luxury of time setting up tripod etc... its more like shoot and run kind of thingy....

btw... how much you gotten your TC for??...
is the sigma one good too??...

thanks!

I bought at least 2 years back in Hong Kong. Probably quite a bit more expensive now. No idea about Sigma and others. My thought was if I were to spend the kind of money to get the Nikon fast lens, make sense to use Nikon teleconverters as well. Probably better resale value as well.

hi duffy...
its stated here...
http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/2151/AF-S-Teleconverter-TC-17E-II.html
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105vr.htm

that AF is not possible with TCs.. is it true??...
i am juz about to bite the bullet 2 get this TC when I read the above...

thanks...

It is just a warning. I used the TC-14E II with Nikon 105 Micro VR, I can get autofocus. Maybe there are certain conditions (maybe too dim) that they may not autofocus but so far I had not encountered problem yet.

From what I've read, users report it works fine, contrary to Nikon's recommendations.
I use the 105mm VR with a Kenko 2x TC at times.
Depends on your cam body, with my D90, the weight feels a bit off, front heavy.
Doesn't help that I've got the R1C1 mounted. And I don't have a batt grip (don't see the point, unless I really want it for balance?!)
Might want to try it out, handling the equipment I mean, before you buy.
IQ-wise, it's acceptable to me, though CA rears its nasty head from time to time.
Then again, the 105mm VR can be prone to CA, a weakness that gets exacerbated sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.