Nikon 1000mm f11 reflex opinion and experience

AYC Nee

Sep 26, 2006
Jurong
Hi CS seniors

I am thinking of buying the Nikon 1000mm f11 refex and would like to receive some opinion and experience on this lens, such as:

(1) sharpness
(2) contrast
(3) focusing difficulty
(4) feasibility of further extension using 1.4x or 2x converter

Many thanks in advance.

Hi CS seniors

I am thinking of buying the Nikon 1000mm f11 refex and would like to receive some opinion and experience on this lens, such as:

(1) sharpness
(2) contrast
(3) focusing difficulty
(4) feasibility of further extension using 1.4x or 2x converter

Many thanks in advance.

Google!

I'm feeling jobless so I shall spoonfeed you this time. Just the first 4 hits I cam across give a lot of information on the lens.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/reflex/1000mm.htm
http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00DXSF
http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=159
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/887186-Nikon-1000mm-F11-Reflex-on-Dove-at-Sungei-Buloh

Note donut bokeh and fixed aperture.

Everything can be google, then this forum is not necessary anymore, just google it n u can find it somewhere else!

I found that ppl in this forum keep giving this kind of reply...

Hi Fmeeran

Many thanks for the websites. I have actually visited all of them previously. I am hoping to receive some first-hand information from the CS members, and if possible, engage in a conversation to find out more. I have also seen Oldtimer's posting before and wonder if he is the only person who owns such a lens in Singapore. USD900, would that be a decent deal (lens graded EX).

ckkent: thanks for supporting the thread :)

From Old Timer's shots...The nikkor seems to be rather sharp for a mirror lens. However, it's not spared of the donuts..haha...also, at f11 and you are still looking at adding a TC? I always think TC comes together with fast lens..

Everything can be google, then this forum is not necessary anymore, just google it n u can find it somewhere else!

I found that ppl in this forum keep giving this kind of reply...

One should do one's homework before asking for other's help. Reason for this is because, if you tend to check the forum often, it starts getting irritating to see some of the same questions asked again and again.
It's basic decency to first try to see if you can work it out yourself.
And quite often you'll find older threads addressing same questions.

Hi Fmeeran

Many thanks for the websites. I have actually visited all of them previously. I am hoping to receive some first-hand information from the CS members, and if possible, engage in a conversation to find out more. I have also seen Oldtimer's posting before and wonder if he is the only person who owns such a lens in Singapore. USD900, would that be a decent deal (lens graded EX).

How long a reach do you need?

1000mm f11 is bad enough when it comes to long exposures. You'll need a very good tripod.
Btw, the lens is close to 2 kgs.

If you are going to add teleconverter to it, you are going to decrease the light even further and you'll have to go even longer exposures.

You also have to be careful not to get a lot of distracting donut bokeh.

Pls note. I'm quoting from the website. "Overall, Reflex Lenses are not a very easy lens to deal with and would require good, sound photographic experience of the photographer to ensure higher success rate of photograpy rather than depending on its optical characteristic and bahavior."

You might also want to consider digiscoping.

What do you plan to use it for?

If you plan to use it for birding, it might be quite difficult to manage though Oldtimer makes it seem easy. :)

Last edited:
Having said all this, I have never used a reflex lens.
I considered buying one for the price and portability and was looking up reviews on the interwebs.
I've now settled for the Sigma 150-500mm OS. It is pretty decent and I like the fact that it is handholdable even with a 1.4 TC. Personal choices.

Good luck choosing.

If you can you should try it out before you decide.

Hi Fmeeran

Many thanks for the useful input. I am planning to use this to shoot shy and smaller animals. Birds may be more difficult as they move too quickly. Distant scenery is another possibility, but need to watch out for air movements.

I have tried digiscoping with a Nikon Fieldscope. However, it is good for viewing, but results are below average. Hope Nikon 1000mm reflex could give better results. I have the Sigma 150-500, but do not find its performance that great, especially at the 500 end. It also looks weird as it extends out like an elephant's nose.

I am actually inspired by Oldtimer's photos. Crisp and clear. Not sure what is his success rate, i.e. 1 out of how many shots is of this standard.

I wouldn't touch this lens if it is still the film era, as one may need to use ASA800 films, but with DSLR, ASA can be set to 3200 if needs to :)

The only issue I can think of if you are fine with the bokeh, is 1) the thin depth of focus due to the large focal lens, and 2) manual focus.

Taking both into consideration, you might need to take some effort in focussing it just right, which is why I'm suggesting try it out before buying it. I hope you are buying from a shop or BnS and not from online shop.

Small animals I think should be fine as long as they don't run around too fast.

Good luck bro, and keep us posted how this one works out. :)

I am buying this from an online shop as it is difficult to find this lens from a local shop. BnS on CS is actually never cheap. Sellers have checked up the price on e-Bay and added shipping and "GST", so very often it can be more costly than from overseas.

I hope Oldtimer is reading the thread and can give some advice. I noted from his recent postings that he is using a Nikon 800 f5.6. Maybe he has sold his 1000 f11 reflex.

Just kaypoh (coz I can't afford lens of these distances): how do you store such monsters in a dry cabinet? And how to slug it to the middle of the jungle for birding? Just curious...

This "monster" actually takes up much less space compared to real "monsters" such as 800 f5.6, 600 f4, etc. and it weighs probably just 1/3 of it. The downside is f11 and donuts, but if it is just another form of bokeh, that can be accepted, and people will say, wow, taken with a mirror lens :)

I owned the Nik 500 f5 mirror for a while and thoughly enjoyed it....Though I much prefer my Nikon 300 f2.8 with 1.4 tx (AF edif)...I traded the 500 to a friend who uses it with a doubler now and then...He also has a lot of fun with it...I'm sure the 1000mm will be even more fun, especially for the price in comparison to a modern Nikon super tele.....By the way I traded a couple of 4x5 lenses for mine from a shop in Bangkok several years ago...One thing to remember with these Cat's is that you will need an extension tube for close up and also, I believe you must have the rear filter installed as well.... http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/telephotos/50cmf5/index.htm

Cheers

Hi George671

Many thanks for the link! Got my 1000 f11 last week. Excellent condition and smooth focusing. The 39mm uv filter is in place. I read from the website that this is necessary for focusing to complete the "optical path". This is rather strange to me as I am not sure how a filter can help focus better. Focusing is a bit difficult, I try to focus in front and beyond and slowing tune to the right focus. Once it is in focus, it is very sharp, but it takes several trials. The downside, of course, is that the bird or small animal will be long gone!

Our senior member Oldtimer has a great deal of experience with this lens and I have learned a lot from him :)

I'm glad you got your lens...sometimes its not always the "latest and greatest", but the "the most fun".....I love being able to get "the shot" with (mature) gear.. Many older lenses still rock on modern digital bodies....

Cheers
George

I have tried out this lens with an image attached. This is shot from my window about 1 km away.

Last edited:
Pagoda-small.jpg
[/url][/IMG]