Nikon 10 - 24 mm 7 Flash help!

ic3yflam3z

Dec 15, 2010
www.flickr.com
Hi guys I'm still relatively new here. I was thinking of getting a wide angled lens (Nikon) for my Taiwan trip. And my budget is less than $1.5k. May I know if the 10-24mm is considered a wide angled lens?

Also, do you guys know which flash I can consider? I heard the Nikon SB900 gets overheated very fast but the SB600 is not in the market anymore (but present in the Nikon price guide). Any recommendations? Thanks alot in advance! :D

The 10-24mm is the widest from Nikon to date. With crop factor, you get 15-36mm picture angle which is very wide. You will be able to get this lens new at less than $1.5k.

The SB900 does have the issue of auto-shutting down to prevent damage due to over-heating but not an issue for me as I don't over drive it. You may consider the SB700 which was released not too long ago but at lower specification than the SB900. Cost lesser of course.

Hi guys I'm still relatively new here. I was thinking of getting a wide angled lens (Nikon) for my Taiwan trip. And my budget is less than $1.5k. May I know if the 10-24mm is considered a wide angled lens?

Also, do you guys know which flash I can consider? I heard the Nikon SB900 gets overheated very fast but the SB600 is not in the market anymore (but present in the Nikon price guide). Any recommendations? Thanks alot in advance! :D

According to Wikipedia, the definition of an ultra-wide angle lens is one where the focal length is shorter than the short side of the film/sensor.
In the case of a Nikon DX camera, that would be 16mm.
Therefore 10-24 easily qualifies as an ultra-wide angle lens :)
Seriously though, classifying lenses has little to do with actual photography. Doesn't really matter if the 10-24 is considered "wide", "ultra-wide", "short", "tall", "long", etc. Or does it? ;)
Most important is that it satisfies your criteria.

SB900 has a protective thermal fuse which is possibly a little over-protective, though in normal use you should hardly encounter the safety cut-off. What's your budget for a flash, and what features are you after?

10-24mm yes its considered wide angle lens

SB900, being the current flagship flash unit, is a flash that will stay relevant as you grow in flash photography - which many common hobbyists don't.

The overheat problem affects mainly the events and wedding pros; ie shooting near 1/2 power or 1/4 power at 2 to 3 shots a second, non stop for 2 to 3 hours, powered by external battery pack.

With just your normal 4AA batts, its hard to go into overheating.

Thanks for the advise! I was making a comparison with the prime lenses and wasn't too sure if the 10-24 could take wide angled shots. But I'm enlightened now!

For the flash I'm looking at one that can help take portrait shots,heard there are flashes which are able to bounce off walls and some couldn't. But definitely getting a Nikon one, even though it's pricier.

Thanks for the advise! I was making a comparison with the prime lenses and wasn't too sure if the 10-24 could take wide angled shots. But I'm enlightened now!

For the flash I'm looking at one that can help take portrait shots,heard there are flashes which are able to bounce off walls and some couldn't. But definitely getting a Nikon one, even though it's pricier.

Most flashes have swivel heads so that you can tilt it up and around and do ceiling/wall bounce, even the simpler SB400 can do ceiling bounce. :)

ic3yflam3z said:

I think since this is ur first attempt into wide angle len, can i suggest that you get tokina 12/24 f4 2nd hand instead. Around $450 compare to nikon $1000. Not many ppl know how to use wide angle to its benefit, i still cant go below 16mm.

2mm different btw the 2 len isnt worth the price different, in your case, (unless you know what you are demanding). As for flash, sb700 is a good bet, but its heavy, ever considering sb400? Small and light just right for holiday.

2mm difference for wide angle is a huge difference and thus worth its price. 20mm for a telephoto dont have much difference.

But, I also recommend the Tokina 12/24 f4, its a great lens.

IMHO, buy 2nd hand as advised. Just becareful because a lot of people on BNS sell 2nd hand almost same price as brand new.

Buy 2nd hand, and sell it off again after you return from your trip if you don't like the lens. You make very minimal loss. Take the loss as "rental fees" for the lens.