Nikon 1

Very Soon

Sep 10, 2010
Singapore
Never like cameras such as Nikon 1 or the Sony Nex series but something caught my attention when I read the specs out of curiosity - the crop factor is 2.7x and I can use it on my existing Nikon DSLR lenses!!! So, 85mm 1.4 is 229mm 1.4 and 300mm 2.8 becomes 810mm 2.8???!!!

Is that really as simple as that? The bokeh will be mind boggling, my god! What's the trade off and downside? Can experts out there kindly give us some guidance please?

Thanks very much!

Yes, it is as simple as that. No f stop loss some more. However, only for G lenses you get VR and AF-S (the loss of AF-C is a big bummer for me). For others, manual focus only.

On third party lenses: all Sigma with OS cannot work - "no lens detected, you must attach a lens to take photos". For my Tamron 18-270 VC (non PZD), VC works perfectly but no auto focus.

Please see my other thread here where I am testing the V1 out.

Think V1/J1 are very good camera for those who wants extra reach. Depends on the lens you are using, my 500mm F4 focusing very well with J1, even with 1.4xTC and 2xTC. However, I seldom use the 2xTC when i shoot with D5100 or D700 because the 2xTC degrade the quality of the photos very badly, the focusing is slow, sometimes hunts at low light. I surprising find my J1 works very well with my 2xTC. Focusing is very fast but finding the subject is tough as it does not have a viewfinder unlike the V1, why i do not get the V1? Basically its the cost which is S$250 more than J1, no choice as i need to limit my spending. One big big plus point is that there is no mirror shake which is very good if you shoot at low ISO and Low speed.

The down side are:
1. The noise from J1 is not very well controlled compare to DSLR, therefore most of the time i shoot at ISO200. You can see visible noise at ISO400 and above.
2. No AF-C.
3. Single point focusing. I need to recompose every time when the subject move off from center.

This is a photo taken by J1 with 500mm F4 with nikon 2xTC version III, lucky i never sell of my 2xTC.
CKF_DSC_0233-web.jpg

Eh... the photo seems soft here, so try select the photo, right click, select view image, then zoom to full size. you can see the details....

hahaha, Reno, if you can afford 500mm, you can buy anything Nikon and shouldnt go for J1 simply becoz of $250 savings right? There must be something you dont like about V1, right? :p

Very Soon said:
hahaha, Reno, if you can afford 500mm, you can buy anything Nikon and shouldnt go for J1 simply becoz of $250 savings right? There must be something you dont like about V1, right? :p

The things I don't like is no built in flash and the physical design.... Seriously... $250 is a big saving for me... Lol

Sensor size. Ur dof is very high.

Never like cameras such as Nikon 1 or the Sony Nex series but something caught my attention when I read the specs out of curiosity - the crop factor is 2.7x and I can use it on my existing Nikon DSLR lenses!!! So, 85mm 1.4 is 229mm 1.4 and 300mm 2.8 becomes 810mm 2.8???!!!

Is that really as simple as that? The bokeh will be mind boggling, my god! What's the trade off and downside? Can experts out there kindly give us some guidance please?

Thanks very much!
The depth of field is dependent on the lens focal length, not the effective focal length, so no the bokeh will not be mind boggling. Besides, the sensor size is also very small so the DOF will be large, which translates to less out of focus areas. The Nikon 1 will give you a much longer reach, but trade off is less out of focus areas. Also, bokeh is the quality of out of focus areas - so use the term correctly there. Not going to flame you for that but it's something to take note of in future.