Nikon 1 video playback

Leykid1634

Mar 8, 2007
Hi, searching through Nikon forum could not find any thread pertaining to my question. Sorry if I miss it, kindly point me to it. Thanks.

Like to find out from Nikon 1 user.
Which video player software do you use to playback those video clip recorded by Nikon 1 system?
Which software do you find the best in playing the highest resolution (HD movies 1,920 x 1,080/60i) recorded?

So far, I am using this resolution and did not use anything lower. The playback was some how not very pleasant. It was fine playing on the cam itself.
Hopes you guys and gals can guide me with it.
Thanks so much.

Oh yes...to add on to it. I am using a laptop with these spec:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8300 @2.4GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Display card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500M GS with 512Mb RAM

Hope this laptop is not slow in playing high resolution video (no budget to buy a new laptop at the moment).
Thanks.

I just use the default Windows Media Player or may be VLC. Both works fine. I expect QuickTime also would work.

Thanks Unclefai for your reply.
I have tried VLC, it was very jerky and with something like electronic disturbance (boxy boxy around the frame). As for Quicktime, the outline of the moving subject are jerky. The best is WMP, giving best quality. the only problem is the playback experience slight pause after a few frame.

is there anyone using other software than these 3?

If you are playing back in Full HD 30/60i, you may need a higher specs hardware to run it smoothly.

I believe you may refer to the requirements over here:

ViewNX Ver. 2.3.0 Software Download

You may need to scroll down to the hardware requirements.

Leykid1634 said:
Thanks Unclefai for your reply.
I have tried VLC, it was very jerky and with something like electronic disturbance (boxy boxy around the frame). As for Quicktime, the outline of the moving subject are jerky. The best is WMP, giving best quality. the only problem is the playback experience slight pause after a few frame.

is there anyone using other software than these 3?

Time to hit the IT Show and upgrade :)

Hahaha...UncleFai...I like that...but budget constrain...eyeing D800...if lots of upgrade needed for Laptop, and new higher capacity and fast CF cards needed, may look at 2nd hand D700 instate. Sorry OT a bit here.

Hi Luna_sea83, thanks for your advice.
I have ViewNX 2.3.0, but how to play the video clip?
I tried and the playback screen was so small (using Movie Editor), can't really see how's the video quality fair.

Just did an experiment, after reading some commends at dpreview, recording at 1080/30p is no different quality recorded with 1080/60i.
No harm give it a try...bravo!! The playback quality was superb. Think will stick to this format as quality no different.

Thanks you guys for your contribution.
Take care.