Nikkor TC-16/16A

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebbot

Mar 24, 2005
Hi,

Anyone has experience with the above? :) Was thinking of getting it for the AF-D 80-200 and AF 300, however could not get much information and much is contradicting. I am not even sure if it works on the digital bodies.

TIA!

rebbot said:
Hi,

Anyone has experience with the above? :) Was thinking of getting it for the AF-D 80-200 and AF 300, however could not get much information and much is contradicting. I am not even sure if it works on the digital bodies.

TIA!
Haven't tried the TC-16A on a digital body yet. But it can make a MF lens into AF because the focusing is done in the teleconverter itself. So effectively, all lenses become a rear focusing AF lens.

lsisaxon said:
Haven't tried the TC-16A on a digital body yet. But it can make a MF lens into AF because the focusing is done in the teleconverter itself. So effectively, all lenses become a rear focusing AF lens.

I know it can make MF lenses AF but its limited in range. :) I am trying to find out if it works with AF lenses effectively the 300mm f/4 actually. I was about to get a kenko 1.4x when I came across this but couldn't find much info.

Appraently the TC-16 only works on the FM3 and the TC-16A can work with the newer AF bodies. :dunno:

I dun think I can find a copy in Singapore so I might be ordering overseas but am trying to find out if it works on the D2 bodies with AF lenses.

Cheers!

espn said:
BBB, MTL. Buy first, talk later.

Again? no money to buy already :cry:

Do you have any info on this espn? :) Was hoping u can shed some light.

rebbot said:
I know it can make MF lenses AF but its limited in range. :) I am trying to find out if it works with AF lenses effectively the 300mm f/4 actually. I was about to get a kenko 1.4x when I came across this but couldn't find much info.

Appraently the TC-16 only works on the FM3 and the TC-16A can work with the newer AF bodies. :dunno:

I dun think I can find a copy in Singapore so I might be ordering overseas but am trying to find out if it works on the D2 bodies with AF lenses.

Cheers!
Yeah. It is quite limited in range so you'll have to assist it a little by focusing to somewhere close to that range first. Still it makes focusing a little easier because the fine focusing is done by the camera. :)

I don't know whether you can still find it thought. I'll post once I find out how well it works on D2X when I can find some time. But basically, AF lenses will be just treated like manual lenses because it is just a mechanical mount with only the aperture coupling.

espn said:
I don't know anything, I only a nooB. :(

i kenna suan again by the king :cry:

lsisaxon said:
Yeah. It is quite limited in range so you'll have to assist it a little by focusing to somewhere close to that range first. Still it makes focusing a little easier because the fine focusing is done by the camera. :)

I don't know whether you can still find it thought. I'll post once I find out how well it works on D2X when I can find some time.

Thanks! That would be great or you can pass me and I test for you ;p

I just found out that the 16A can only be used lenses with widest apertures of at least 2.8 and can only work with AF 50mm and 80mm. :think: from mir.com.my :cry:

rebbot said:
Thanks! That would be great or you can pass me and I test for you ;p

I just found out that the 16A can only be used lenses with widest apertures of at least 2.8 and can only work with AF 50mm and 80mm. :think: from mir.com.my :cry:
I've used it with the older Nikon one-touch AF80-200/2.8 before. I don't see any problems attaching any AF lenses onto it since it will just treat them like manual lenses. As for the aperture, Nikon always specify that AF will only work on lenses with aperture bigger than f/5.6. So afetr multiplying by 1.6x, the aperture should not be smaller than f/5.6. This will mean that the lens should have an aperture larger than f/3.5 to work properly. I don't know if G lenses will work.

lsisaxon said:
I've used it with the older Nikon one-touch AF80-200/2.8 before. I don't see any problems attaching any AF lenses onto it since it will just treat them like manual lenses. As for the aperture, Nikon always specify that AF will only work on lenses with aperture bigger than f/5.6. So afetr multiplying by 1.6x, the aperture should not be smaller than f/5.6. This will mean that the lens should have an aperture larger than f/3.5 to work properly. I don't know if G lenses will work.
The mount on the lens side supports AI-S lenses. There's a pin for the AI-S indication and a coupling for the focal length index. There are no contacts there.

On the body side, there are only 5 contacts on the body side for AF. The AF does not work on D70s and D200 but it works with D2X. I don't know why it cannot AF with D200 and D70s. I tested it with AF24-85/2.8-4 and AF-Micro 60/2.8. I didn't test the metering but I think it should be OK on the D200 and D2X because it knows when I turn the aperture ring. That would also mean that G lenses cannot be used.
TC16A.JPG

rebbot said:
Hi,

TIA!

Here's the URL that tells you about the TC16A and the lenses that can be used (up to that point in time). Also its still available here and some may sell as it cannot be used on all Nikon bodies.

It first can out together with the F501 and its purpose was to AF those MF lenses that was the mainstay then. I still have a copy and found that the D2X is the first DSLR to work with it .. perhaps they may be reviving it. Have fun:)
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/teleconverter/tc16a/

Status
Not open for further replies.