Nikkor Primes

Status
Not open for further replies.

poptart

Jan 16, 2006
I like fast lenses and have the 50/1.4 but want something wider for my D70 - the 28/1.4 is too expensive - would I be better off going for the 20/2.8 or the 35/2 or even holding out for the 17-55/2.8??

Are the Sigma primes any good - they have a 30/1.4 etc...

thanks

A

poptart said:
I like fast lenses and have the 50/1.4 but want something wider for my D70 - the 28/1.4 is too expensive - would I be better off going for the 20/2.8 or the 35/2 or even holding out for the 17-55/2.8??

thanks

A
Still it's only going to be close to a normal lens. If the price is ok, maybe you can buy and let us know. ;) There are not many wideangle lenses with this kind of fast aperture so if the price is a fraction of the Nikon 28/1.4, it might be worth a try.

poptart said:

thanks

A

erm... by and large, f1.4 primes cost an arm and a leg (some say kidney too...). if u want a slightly wider prime for ur D70 and dun cost u too much of a body part, u can always look out for a AF-D 28mm/f2.8. and, i do believe there's a tokina 17mm/f3.5 on sale now in Buy/Sell. do check it out?

personal opinion - i generally avoid sigma's too. however, there are not many decent 3rd-party prime lens out there on the mkt, unfortunately.

For D70, the 35mm f2 is not that wide, just nice for group photos actually, the 20mm f2.8 is better, but it is only f2.8 aperture.

Get the 17-35 instead. Might be a better worth. If you really want good primes, check out the AI glasses, not cheap though some of them, but they can perform beyond what the AF or AF-S can achieve.

poptart said:

thanks

A

Try out the sigma at a shop for yourself, it has exemplary performance without taking account its price, just be careful of decentering issues or lemons.

Do note that focusing at apertures below f2.8 on a D70 are more of a hit/miss affair unless subject contrast is very high and distance is close. Since you already have the 50 f1.4, I'm sure you must have noted that.

Zerstorer said:
Try out the sigma at a shop for yourself, it has exemplary performance without taking account its price, just be careful of decentering issues or lemons.

Do note that focusing at apertures below f2.8 on a D70 are more of a hit/miss affair unless subject contrast is very high and distance is close. Since you already have the 50 f1.4, I'm sure you must have noted that.
:thumbsup:

poptart said:

thanks

A

Hi!,
I have a sigma 30mm f1.4, it works great on my previous D70, and works great (great contrast and colors) on my D200. I tested a few pieces before taking one piece that gives me the sharpest image. :angel: It's my favourite travel lens, goes everywhere on holidays.

thanks for all your comments - still not sure what to go for - but think I need to test some of them out...

A

espn said:
:thumbsup:
Hi espn

I thumbed up with you!!:thumbsup:

Unless the photographer have tried the Sigmas or other 3rd parties lens and make a comparison, else comments like that do not really help at all. :nono:

I have tried out the Sigma and it is good..hmm at that kind of price, I wld say more than good..

I have tried Sigma's wide (14mm) in my assignmets and it works. I shot mostly prime and I mean Nikon lens for that matter..After comparisons over a period of time, Sigmas and some other 3rd parties are fine..Sometimes it is a matter of application..

Anyhow, this is just an opinion of my own..I hope I have not done any overboard here..My apology to all..:cry:

Have a nice day guys..

If u have budget constraints & don't need a very wide angle lens, the Nikkor AF 24 f/2.8D is very sharp :thumbsup: It's a tad sharper than it's 20mm brother and abt 2/3 of the price. Brand new is $560, 2nd hand can get for abt $300 plus :)

Status
Not open for further replies.