Nikkor original lens or 3rd party lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikon79

Mar 31, 2009
hi again,

isit ok to use 3rd party lens for my nikonD60?
i understand tat 3rd party lens tends to be cheaper
is it economical to use 3rd party lens like tamron, tokina and sigma?
is it worth the buy for its quality ?

You lump all 3rd party lenses together, and ask whether it's worth it, hard to answer your question leh.
Some of the 3rd party lenses are worth it. Some aren't. You have to be a LITTLE bit more specific.
Even from 1 brand, some of their lenses are highly rated, whilst some are ignored. So it's very hard to answer your question.
What type of lens are you looking for specifically? UWA? Mega-zoom? Prime? Macro? Telephoto?

Hi,

Very much depending what you lens you are looking for and how much $$$ in your pocket.
Best to do some research and reviewed posted queries on CS forum on the particular lens before deciding.
The history of the company do plays a part also.
For example, Tokina was founded by a group of Nikon engineers who left Nikon to concentrate on the development of high-quality zoom lenses.

Happy researching.

hi there

do note that the Nikon D60 is lacking an in body auto focus module so it wont be able to autofocus on lens with no in built motor in the lens.

3rd party lens maybe a tad cheaper but then again question of QC comes to play especially from the Sigma camp. they are known for their erratic QC. so advise is do check your 3rd party lens properly b4 purchasing. if you do your chck properly and thoroughly then some of the 3rd party lens are priced at a steal for it's quality.

you may wan to tell us what range of lens you looking at and from there we can advise you accordingly.

Cheers
Shaz

Last edited:
for ur info, D60 need a AF-S lens.

hehehe to correct you there, it doesn't NEED an AF-S lens. All Nikon F mount lenses will work with the D60. Maybe it's you who NEEDS an AF-S lens?

You just have to forgo some of the functions like auto-focus, distance measurement, etc depending on what lens you mount.

hehehe to correct you there, it doesn't NEED an AF-S lens. All Nikon F mount lenses will work with the D60. Maybe it's you who NEEDS an AF-S lens?

You just have to forgo some of the functions like auto-focus, distance measurement, etc depending on what lens you mount.
im sure he meant D60 needs AF-S to be able to autofocus.

yeah im aware of the inbuilt motor issue with D60

today i went to k13 in peninsula plaza to look for 55-200mm lens, but the guy recommended me 70-300mm(Tamron) at 280 which is much cheaper than the 55-200(aprox 400)

i was tempted to buy but then i cant recall reading anybody in CS comment on this tamron lens, so i resist from buying.. wanted to check out with u guys first..

currently im using D60 with the kit lens and already found some limitation in focusing far objects, hence considering a farther zoom lens to add to my collection
Pls advise.. Looking forward for ur reply guys! thanks!

Hmm... A few points:

1. I don't think you can auto-focus with the Tamron 70-300mm on the Nikon D60. I am not sure of the street price, so I cannot comment.

2. The 55-200mm. Which model is it? Is it the Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED? Do check. And I believe you can get that lens at a lower price elsewhere.

tamron 70-300mm do not have auto focus?
without in built motor?

does all 3rd party lens dont come with inbuilt motor?

without in built motor?

Hi

u have to check if the lens have in built motor. for sure i know Sigma has lens with in built motor ( not all but some).it is called the HSM lens. the latest 70-300 APO have an in built motor( correct me if im wrong ).

fool proof test is to mount it on ur camera and see if it autofocuses.

Cheers
Shaz

without in built motor?

some 3rd party lenses have AF motor
i bought my sigma 70-300mm lens for my D60 for $340 at AP!!

some 3rd party lenses have AF motor
i bought my sigma 70-300mm lens for my D60 for $340 at AP!!

u mean ur sigma doesnt have motor?
anyway is it very troublesome to use lens w/o motor for D60?
sorry me a newbie in DSLR..hehe

anyway is it very troublesome to use lens w/o motor for D60?
sorry me a newbie in DSLR..hehe

Well, just try switching your kit lens to Manual Focus, and see how it goes. If you can manual focus quickly and accurately, then the lack of AF will not be much of a hindrance.
What are you focusing on in the distance that you need the extra reach? If it's sports, you MAY need a fast telephoto lens (eg. 70-200 f/2.8), which costs $$$$$ :devil:

hi again,

there is too much variability in your question. there is no point in asking this question.

FIRST decide on the focal length and the aperture that you want. THEN see what is the options available. if you need autofocus, you need a lens with built-in motor since your camera body has no motor. that may further limit choices of lens.

from the options, then compare the price to see how much you are willing to pay up to.

currently im using D60 with the kit lens and already found some limitation in focusing far objects, hence considering a farther zoom lens to add to my collection
Pls advise.. Looking forward for ur reply guys! thanks!

it depends on what you mean

the limitation in focusing may be due to

1. narrow field and poor hand steadiness. you find that your hand may drift away from the subject, or that you cannot track fast enough against a moving object. a tripod, monopod or chestpod with stabilising techniques may help.

2. small maximum aperture. eg. max f/5.6 at 200mm. you find that you are maximising the aperture opening, but still not enough light coming in fast enough, as a result, the shutter duration slow down to maybe 1/60 or 1/30secs, making your shot highly prone to handshake, or unexpected subject movement. a fast lens may help but those at f/2.8 are likely to cost you above $1k.

3. slow AF. some lens take longer to focus. again, you may need to pay more for lens with better AF.

4. or do you mean, your subject are not "magnified" enough? lens up to 300mm are available, but are usually of smaller maximum aperture, thus worsening the issue of focusing as described above.

whether worthwhile to spend more on a better lens, will then depend on how often do you use for that focal length, how much you use that lens and how much you expect from the shooting. that would justify the buying of lens.

people who need the reach and are not bothered with occasional blurred pictures or generally low optic quality, can purchase the cheaper lenses. if not, you got to decide on what quality lenses you want to prioritise and spend on, i.e. fisheye, ultra wide-angle, street zoom, portrait primes, long tele, macro, each serving specific purposes, usually starting at >S$500 and mostly >1k, that is esp true for the big bulky quality tele lens.

for tele zoom i would rather get 55-200 VR. 200 on a dx camera = 2x1.5 =300mm zoom anyway.
VR is impt at the longer range...i used to have a 70-300 but found that i cant get gd shots @300 except on bright day light, end up selling the lens. lucky for me i bought 2nd handed, buy and sell at the same price - no loss.

i tihnk u can get 55-200 vr @ 250 from bns.
and i think 70-300 tamron should be without in built motor (if its the same on i used last time)

hi again,

you don't need all that

what you need, is a book on photography.

and for whatever you are asking..... everyone has different preferences, i am not you, how to answer? you make your own choices.

without in built motor?

Tamron does produce a 70-300mm version with built-in motor which will AF with your D60. Capable to produce decent images at 100-200mm. FYI, I got it much cheaper than the quote you got.

I would advise you to get the Nikon 55-200 VR, at the long end, VR does help alot if you are not using tripod. There are some good bargain in the B&S forum.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.