Nikkor Lens... G and D

Status
Not open for further replies.

seethoe

Dec 2, 2002
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
Dear club members,

What is the difference between the D lens and G lens of Nikkor?? I know the D lens is more expensive and therefore better. But what is the thing that is better in D lens?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by seethoe
Dear club members,

What is the difference between the D lens and G lens of Nikkor?? I know the D lens is more expensive and therefore better. But what is the thing that is better in D lens?

Thanks in advance.

D lenses have a chip which transmits distance information back to the camera. This information is used to calculate exposure (particularly flash exposure) more accurately.

G lenses are made without aperture rings to save cost. Thus the aperture can only be electronically controlled by supported cameras, and cannot be used on manual cameras.

Both have no effect on the ultimate image quality. Non-D lens or G lens doesn't mean image quality will be bad; D lens or G lens doesn't mean good image quality either.

Regards
CK

ckiang,

does that means that the D lens are better in using flash for shots compared to G lens??

so, it means that f/2.8 D or G lens would give same quality under the same lighting condition i.e. shutter speed and aperture??

sorry to bother you on so basic things....

Anyway D lences has the aperture ring while G lences without the aperture ring. Personnally, I preferred with the one that has a aperture ring (e.g. 28 - 105mm D) which made a complete lence (e.g. can be use manually). But currently, I stick to my 24 - 85mm G lence as the lence has a AFS and that is a different story.

Cheers. :cool:

For further information I suggest you to check at this website: www.nikonlinks.com

Originally posted by seethoe
ckiang,

does that means that the D lens are better in using flash for shots compared to G lens??

so, it means that f/2.8 D or G lens would give same quality under the same lighting condition i.e. shutter speed and aperture??

sorry to bother you on so basic things....

So far I have not seen a difference in flash exposure between D and non-D lenses, with or without flash. So go figure. :)

Barring optical quality differences, AF speed differences, build quality differences, the D and the G lens should produce similar pictures. Especially if you shoot both at their optimal apertures (e.g. f/8, but can vary with lenses).

Regards
CK

Grand and Deluxe lenses....
haha I feel like I'm baiting for Jed to come out and scold me...

Status
Not open for further replies.