NIKKOR AF-S 70-200mm f/4G ED VR or Tamron SP 70-200MM F/2.8 Di VC USD

Save a couple more months, and I am sure you can get the VRII pre-owned. Sigma OS HSM performance is around the same as the VRI. A good copy VRI cost around 1.7k. A new grey Sigma cost around 1.5k. A F4 cost 2k. A pre-owned VRII cost around 2.6k. 600 more. Save a few more months and you can own the best.... and you never need to sell and upgrade again, and never need to think twice about the "what-ifs". I went through the same thought process as you before. I actually put in an order for a grey sigma OS HSM. But luckily the set came with a problem right out of the box... after the 2nd try, I just spend the money and get the VRII. best decision I made.

And a pre-owned VRII will hold its value much better. Try selling the Sigma and you will know what I mean. And as new sensors get better and better with higher resolution, the VRI will fall out of favor very very soon. And in time, will be hard to sell also. And the VRII works very well with TCs retaining very good IQ... so if you are into sports or long range subjects, you might want to factor that in too.

BTW, I have nothing against older lenses or Sigma lenses. I own some old Nikkor glass as well as 3 pieces of Sigma lenses. But for the 70-200, there is no comparison.

Thanks daredevil. Since I no need to get it in hurry, maybe I try to save a few months and see how its go :)

Better yet. Buy a brand new 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII in Hong Kong. Priced at significantly below S$3,000 after conversion, I don't see why anyone is buying the lens locally.

Because the original consideration was between the new Tamron and the Nikon f/4 telephoto zoom lenses, I thought both are fine. But yes, I concur that the Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII is definitely a winner. The only reason to consider the f/4 is if you are concerned with the weight and/or bulk.

Thanks blur shadow. weight and bulk also one of my consideration. Especially if I'm going to shoot motor sport, I need to walk around.

Last edited:
If you are a casual shooter, than get the VR I. Otherwise, rent till you save for the VR II. If picture quality is not important, any lens will do. Unless you have a camera with great low light capability, f/2.8 can make a different between getting the shot and not getting it.

I say go NSC try out nikon f2.8 vs f4 weight difference. Personally I'll never consider taking f2.8 out for casual street shoot just on weight alone.

Then next is still want f2.8 or f4. If so, I say wait for Tamron to be out. Only then consider if want to get a vr1, sigma or tamron; esp since some will be selling theirs..

I tot the Tamron is already out..?

imho get the nikkor 70~200mm f4g. its Nano coated. which you will never be able to obtain the IQ that tamron F2.8 can offer u . ╰_╯

Thanks for all your comments :)

Save a couple more months, and I am sure you can get the VRII pre-owned. Sigma OS HSM performance is around the same as the VRI. A good copy VRI cost around 1.7k. A new grey Sigma cost around 1.5k. A F4 cost 2k. A pre-owned VRII cost around 2.6k. 600 more. Save a few more months and you can own the best.... and you never need to sell and upgrade again, and never need to think twice about the "what-ifs". I went through the same thought process as you before. I actually put in an order for a grey sigma OS HSM. But luckily the set came with a problem right out of the box... after the 2nd try, I just spend the money and get the VRII. best decision I made.

And a pre-owned VRII will hold its value much better. Try selling the Sigma and you will know what I mean. And as new sensors get better and better with higher resolution, the VRI will fall out of favor very very soon. And in time, will be hard to sell also. And the VRII works very well with TCs retaining very good IQ... so if you are into sports or long range subjects, you might want to factor that in too.

BTW, I have nothing against older lenses or Sigma lenses. I own some old Nikkor glass as well as 3 pieces of Sigma lenses. But for the 70-200, there is no comparison.

True, when I bought the 70-200 2.8 VR1, it was "THE LENSE!" like buying jewellery, bought at MS Color got served chinese tea and cold drink. I never thought anything can even come close to it, having also shot the 80-200 2.8 AFD push pull, and during the cheap DSLR boom with their slow 5.6 and 6.3 18-200, it totally blew they away, all stand one side, - until the VR2 came out. But still, no need to upgrade, for $1700, it is a steal. I bought mine at $2900++.

Last edited:

Oic, so it's better not to get vr I? Anyway I think price in bns not really good also...

True, when I bought the 70-200 2.8 VR1, it was "THE LENSE!" like buying jewellery, bought at MS Color got served chinese tea and cold drink. I never thought anything can even come close to it, having also shot the 80-200 2.8 AFD push pull, and during the cheap DSLR boom with their slow 5.6 and 6.3 18-200, it totally blew they away, all stand one side, - until the VR2 came out. But still, no need to upgrade, for $1700, it is a steal. I bought mine at $2900++.

So it's its still ok to get it at 1.7? I'm looking for around 1500 only :(. If 1.7 is it better to get f4? Got an offer at 1600 but still thinking if its worth getting it anot :nono::dunno:

Last edited:
So it's its still ok to get it at 1.7? I'm looking for around 1500 only :(. If 1.7 is it better to get f4? Got an offer at 1600 but still thinking if its worth getting it anot :nono::dunno:

$1600 with local warranty? That's a good bargain :)

Last edited:
Vr2 in technogadgets selling at 26++ brand new. No need buy from bns.

But you know some don't know what is technogadget.... Lol..

Techno Gadgets

Technogadgets selling Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200MM F/2.8G ED VR II at $2646 before delivery charge (I think $15 for local). For the warranty, we have to pay first for repair at Nikon service center and claim back from them, anyone experience before? How long does it take for reimbursement?

Techno Gadgets

Technogadgets selling Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200MM F/2.8G ED VR II at $2646 before delivery charge (I think $15 for local). For the warranty, we have to pay first for repair at Nikon service center and claim back from them, anyone experience before? How long does it take for reimbursement?

You can search in CS regarding this. I ever saw someone posted about claiming warranty from them and saying no problem. I bought my batt grip from them previously but have to note that not all of their items are the lowest price in Singapore.

Last edited:
Techno Gadgets

Haha. I know them since I started shooting. But don't feel like spending so much on a lens

Sian up till now I'm still stuck between f4 n f2.8 vr I. Zzzz

@ TS,

Please also consider the light conditions you'll be shooting in. Due to the Singapore weather, most outdoor sports are done at night. I have shot football before and in general, the stadiums that host the S League have good enough lighting but to freeze action at shutter speeds greater than 1/400 sec, the ISO was pushed up to 3200 at f/2.8. Stopping down to f/4 would likely mean you'll need to push the ISO even higher.

I could use the 70-200 and crop because I was behind the goal mount, just behind the touch line, protected by the sponsor boards and was good enough to catch action just before the middle of the field. To be able to catch action at other end of the field, the 400 f/2.8 is the proper tool.

So, please also consider the distance you are away from the subjects.

Although the 70-200 f/4 VR III is about a grand cheaper than the 70-200 f/2.8 VR II, depending on what you need, it might to more worth while to save up and get the tool that can do the job in the context that you won't feel short you need to "upgrade" as even with lens, they depreciate once you sell them as used.

@ TS,

Please also consider the light conditions you'll be shooting in. Due to the Singapore weather, most outdoor sports are done at night. I have shot football before and in general, the stadiums that host the S League have good enough lighting but to freeze action at shutter speeds greater than 1/400 sec, the ISO was pushed up to 3200 at f/2.8. Stopping down to f/4 would likely mean you'll need to push the ISO even higher.

I could use the 70-200 and crop because I was behind the goal mount, just behind the touch line, protected by the sponsor boards and was good enough to catch action just before the middle of the field. To be able to catch action at other end of the field, the 400 f/2.8 is the proper tool.

So, please also consider the distance you are away from the subjects.

Although the 70-200 f/4 VR III is about a grand cheaper than the 70-200 f/2.8 VR II, depending on what you need, it might to more worth while to save up and get the tool that can do the job in the context that you won't feel short you need to "upgrade" as even with lens, they depreciate once you sell them as used.

Mostly I'll shoot motor sports event (e.g Touring car race, Drift race, Go Kart racing) in Sg, Malaysia and Thailand. And also may use for street photo shoots.

Buy the lenses that meet your budget. Or try rentals lenses and have hands on and decides what your needs.

After a hard time finally bought a 70-200f4.

At first wanted a 70-200 f2.8 vr I. But the price seriously can get myself a brand new f4". N the risk of getting a faulty copy.

So ya f4 for me

After a hard time finally bought a 70-200f4.

At first wanted a 70-200 f2.8 vr I. But the price seriously can get myself a brand new f4". N the risk of getting a faulty copy.

So ya f4 for me

From which shop you bought and how much is the damage? Maybe I will going to sail same boat as you :)