Nikkor AF 85mm f1.8D vs AF-S 85mm f/1.8G

The 35mm f2D is not preform as good on D800/E and the 135mm DC, I hope you can life with CA.

Yeah, seen the 35mm f/2D, that's why I didn't buy it, and not ready to buy the f/1.4G yet since the 35mm is currently covered by my 16-35mm.. Yeah, the quality is different but I guess I'll live with that for now.

As for the 135mm DC, there's bad CA issues? Read reviews, didn't happen to see that.

avsquare said:
Yeah, seen the 35mm f/2D, that's why I didn't buy it, and not ready to buy the f/1.4G yet since the 35mm is currently covered by my 16-35mm.. Yeah, the quality is different but I guess I'll live with that for now.

As for the 135mm DC, there's bad CA issues? Read reviews, didn't happen to see that.

Note for 35mm f1.4G do not point to lighting and you will found the bad CA also.

The 135mm can refer mine : http://vintagephotograph.weebly.com/nikon-af-135mm-f2d-dc.html

Dunno how much I was collected in NX capture.
Green & Purple flare.

By this weekend I wanna try my lensbaby spark

0A361349-20B6-4622-BE40-BC5EC6D872E6-357-000000395DD890DF.jpg

Everyone have a good day :)

avsquare said:
Haha.. My wish list is the 35mm f/1.4G (not really fond of the 35mm f/2D, wished that Nikon come out with the f/1.8G FX version) and the 135mm f/2

Oh! You mean 35 does not have the f1.8 version? Humm...strange...28, 50, 85 have it...y not 35...??
I tried a Ai 35f1.4 in a 2nd hand shop with my D200 then...waoh! I was brown away...but was too ex to afford. ..quoted $800!! with lots of dust inside, but the images was clean....

Oh! You mean 35 does not have the f1.8 version? Humm...strange...28, 50, 85 have it...y not 35...??
I tried a Ai 35f1.4 in a 2nd hand shop with my D200 then...waoh! I was brown away...but was too ex to afford. ..quoted $800!! with lots of dust inside, but the images was clean....

35mm have f/1.8G but that's DX. No FX yet.

Yeah... but it's a piece of big and heavy glass..

I'm actually more keen in the 35mm than the tele range. I hardly shoot at 200mm for portraits. Actually, at most is 85mm.. hardly exceed it, if I do, it would be 135mm. That's why the preference for prime than the big 70-200 zoom ;p

yep its heavy, but just need more weight training! haha

anyway, like i mentioned, at 200mm is one of the way to still get great bokeh in bright sunny day portrait.

yep its heavy, but just need more weight training! haha

anyway, like i mentioned, at 200mm is one of the way to still get great bokeh in bright sunny day portrait.

The other way go for AF 180mm f/2.8D the lens weight only 760g and more useful for portait shots.

This may interest you...

Nikon Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.8G review | Cameralabs Quote These 100% crops directly from a 36MP D800 sensor are proof of the incredible sharpness of this lens Unquote

Hi TS, me like to know more for this lens too, don't mind I hijack awhile. Thanks.

Advice needed for this 1.8G. How is the quality couple with D800. Can it take the 36mp well. Can't afford the 1.4G version.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hesitating between the two.

Has anyone tried both len before?

I read the photozone review that seems the advantage of the G lens is higher resolution and better bokeh. but from the demo picture of the photozone, seems I can't conclude the same for bokeh. any bro tried in field?

and which one focus faster?

Thanks!

Get the G1.8 lens. You won't regret. :)

Note for 35mm f1.4G do not point to lighting and you will found the bad CA also.

The 135mm can refer mine : Nikon AF 135mm f/2D DC - VintagePhotography

Dunno how much I was collected in NX capture.
Green & Purple flare.

When you shot those pics with 135DC, what did you set on your DC control?

When you shot those pics with 135DC, what did you set on your DC control?

i was shots at normal f2 non DC control, cause i am can't accepted the DC L or R aperture mode, the turning become more blur or green or red border.

in my hand only last for 3 months and sold out.. the lens built like a tank but not suit my shooting style.

Last edited:
i was shots at normal f2 non DC control, cause i am can't accepted the DC L or R aperture mode, the turning become more blur or green or red border.

in my hand only last for 3 months and sold out.. the lens built like a tank but not suit my shooting style.

Maybe you did not know how to use the DC control?

New updates !

D600 & D800 of limited using for AF-D lens.

D600 with AF 180mm f/2.8D @ f2.8 - ISO : 250 & SB-910
DC6_2957.jpg

D800 with AF 180mm f/2.8D @ f2.8 - ISO : 250 & SB-910
but the background look like more worst.
DC8_2866.jpg

The DC in normal aperture you can used wide open f2, but the DC ring you can turn to L f2.8 ~ 5.6 or the other side R f2.8 ~ 5.6 and the background become different of feels.

Seems like you really did not know how to use the DC control. Actually the way to use DC is to match the aperture used. F or R means Front or Rear - meaning which part of scene you want better bokeh. So if you are shooting at aperture 2 and you want the OOF background to look better you turn the DC ring to R2. If you are shooting at aperture 2.8 and you want the OOF foreground to look better, you turn DC control to F2.8.

No wonder you did not get good results from it. You did not understand the gear.

Last edited: