Nikkor 85mm f1.4D CA removal tips?

tltan

Apr 18, 2005
www.flickr.com
Hi all,

I only recently bought this GEM after the release of the G version.

I read so much on the CA but thought nothing of it. Now that I am using it, I am actually pretty bothered by it. I shoot wide open at f1.4 most of the time and at high contrast areas, I can understand CA (white shirt, blue skies etc). This can be adjusted usually by adjustment of Hue saturation....but then quite bothersome.

My main concern is when CA (or LA) appears in the eyes of the subject where I focus on. It looks like it make their eyes pinkish or purplish....This is difficult to correct. I guess thats how buying the G version helps....

Anyways, for those that own the lens or used to, what are your suggestions for such?

I am using a D300 (supposedly good at CA control) and the lens is covered by a B+W uv haze filter (not multi coated though-wondering if this is the problem).

Any advise or suggestions (except buy a new G version haha) would be helpful! :thumbsup:

Other then that, I am loving this lens...a performer despite its age.

Shoot at 1.8 in good light.

I think it is still there at f1.8
probably gone at f2.8...but then whats the point then.

In most PP software you can do CA removal using the dedicated sliders, shifting red<->cyan, and blue<->yellow channels. If opening RAW in PS, it is located in the ACR controls, LR have the controls in the develop section.

Note that auto CA correction will only be applied if you shoot jpeg. There is no ca correction in RAW.

In most PP software you can do CA removal using the dedicated sliders, shifting red<->cyan, and blue<->yellow channels. If opening RAW in PS, it is located in the ACR controls, LR have the controls in the develop section.

Note that auto CA correction will only be applied if you shoot jpeg. There is no ca correction in RAW.

Thanks, I did not know that there is no CA correction in NEFs.

my humble suggestions:

1) Dont use 1.8 (yeah, i know what most pple would say, but the rest of us, try to optimise the lens by the MTF, not by their 1.8). If you want a nice bokeh, try to move closer to the subject rather than to use F1.8
2) Dont shoot into the light. Prevent stray light from shining into your lens.

thanks for the suggestions. I try not to shoot into lights, but those will only produce flares...and this lens flares bad. but it makes for a nice effect actually.

For CA, I did not even shoot in strong contrast environment. It was a gloomy day and overcast skies.

tltan said:
thanks for the suggestions. I try not to shoot into lights, but those will only produce flares...and this lens flares bad. but it makes for a nice effect actually.

For CA, I did not even shoot in strong contrast environment. It was a gloomy day and overcast skies.

Just try out the ca adjustment sliders I mentioned in my post above. They work just as well as the auto ones. Take a little practice.

As for me, I use the sigma 85/1.4. The ca is very well controlled. So the g lens is not your only option.

Last edited:
Just try out the ca adjustment sliders I mentioned in my post above. They work just as well as the auto ones. Take a little practice.

As for me, I use the sigma 85/1.4. The ca is very well controlled. So the g lens is not your only option.

Thanks. I tried out your suggestions earlier and it worked pretty well in ACR.

I was deciding between the Sigma and the D and eventually went with the D for it being a tested and trusted lens for the last decade.

Whilst reading up, I actually came across your posts here in clubsnap. I was indeed tempted by the Sigma.

However, QC problems make me think twice since I am residing in the states currently and it will be troublesome to keep shipping returns to and fro....and I cant really test out the Sigma copies at the shop. =)

thanks

tltan said:
Thanks. I tried out your suggestions earlier and it worked pretty well in ACR.

I was deciding between the Sigma and the D and eventually went with the D for it being a tested and trusted lens for the last decade.

Whilst reading up, I actually came across your posts here in clubsnap. I was indeed tempted by the Sigma.

However, QC problems make me think twice since I am residing in the states currently and it will be troublesome to keep shipping returns to and fro....and I cant really test out the Sigma copies at the shop. =)

thanks

True. It can be a pain getting warranty service stateside. Where abouts in the states are you based? If you don't mind me asking. I spent 11+ years in San Jose.

True. It can be a pain getting warranty service stateside. Where abouts in the states are you based? If you don't mind me asking. I spent 11+ years in San Jose.

San Diego. San Jose is nice.
Nikon Service Center is just in LA.