Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AFS VR Zoom


Status
Not open for further replies.

chankp

New Member
Jan 14, 2006
62
0
0
#1
Greetings,

Pardon this dummy question pls.
Besides low light shooting, what other shooting scenario is this
lens best suited for? Can it produce very good bokeh?

TIA.
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#3
Sigh... these things where got magical formulae or must/must not shoot theories?

Understand what the glass is capable of, then use it to shoot what you want.

Not shoot what the glass can do best.
 

chankp

New Member
Jan 14, 2006
62
0
0
#4
Thanks guys for the adv.
Rgds
 

imar

New Member
Feb 5, 2006
180
0
0
#5
chankp said:
Greetings,

Pardon this dummy question pls.
Besides low light shooting, what other shooting scenario is this
lens best suited for? Can it produce very good bokeh?
TIA.
I love the bokeh off this lens, its cool.

I find that the easiest way to find out whether i like a lens or not is to shoot it, compare it, then decide. One can goto Cathay, check out the 70-200, take some shots and note the settings(make sure Vr is off). Then put these same settings on the current lens and shoot the same scene in Cathay. Of course i was comparing the 70-200 with my tamron...Once you compare these shots, you can see for yourself and decide if its worth paying for.

This is of course a "man on the street" method, if you want reviews and what others think there are already plenty of these around.

Goodluck!
 

Mar 3, 2006
75
0
0
#6
imar said:
I love the bokeh off this lens, its cool.

I find that the easiest way to find out whether i like a lens or not is to shoot it, compare it, then decide. One can goto Cathay, check out the 70-200, take some shots and note the settings(make sure Vr is off). Then put these same settings on the current lens and shoot the same scene in Cathay. Of course i was comparing the 70-200 with my tamron...Once you compare these shots, you can see for yourself and decide if its worth paying for.

This is of course a "man on the street" method, if you want reviews and what others think there are already plenty of these around.

Goodluck!
Hi,

If a person has no prior experience with this lens or disappointment with some old tele zoom lens, he might not find out anything with just a few shots at Cathay. However, I believe the reviews by Thom Hogan and Bjorn Roslett are quite good and can use them as serious reference.

I bought this lens because I knew what was lacking with my old 70-210 f4-5.6. I did not get the new lens because of the bigger aperture. The images from the old lens was kind of faint and looks impressionist and flat. I don't know how to describe it better besides saying I was frustrated.

So, knew what kind of image I want to capture, read reliable & objective reviews did help me in my decision.

2 cents wort of opinion.
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#7
originalsin said:
Hi,

If a person has no prior experience with this lens or disappointment with some old tele zoom lens, he might not find out anything with just a few shots at Cathay. However, I believe the reviews by Thom Hogan and Bjorn Roslett are quite good and can use them as serious reference.

I bought this lens because I knew what was lacking with my old 70-210 f4-5.6. I did not get the new lens because of the bigger aperture. The images from the old lens was kind of faint and looks impressionist and flat. I don't know how to describe it better besides saying I was frustrated.

So, knew what kind of image I want to capture, read reliable & objective reviews did help me in my decision.

2 cents wort of opinion.
Hahaha... yes I can see that you understand the equipment and your needs very well :)

Understanding the capabilities of the equipment is very important :)
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
0
#8
imar said:
I love the bokeh off this lens, its cool.

I find that the easiest way to find out whether i like a lens or not is to shoot it, compare it, then decide. One can goto Cathay, check out the 70-200, take some shots and note the settings(make sure Vr is off). Then put these same settings on the current lens and shoot the same scene in Cathay. Of course i was comparing the 70-200 with my tamron...Once you compare these shots, you can see for yourself and decide if its worth paying for.

This is of course a "man on the street" method, if you want reviews and what others think there are already plenty of these around.

Goodluck!
I can't help but reply with this..

I see a lot of people talking about bokeh in this forum but I see different views about bokeh. Some say nice bokeh is the ability to form nice circles, therefore the need for round aperture blades etc etc.. and yet some say the opposite, you should not see the distinct circles at all, it should just diffuse away....

So what is nice bokeh? It's hard to tell. But it's easier to tell what is good bokeh and what is not good bokeh. The latter where you don't see a distinct circle and everything becomes blur is what is considered as a good bokeh. This is not just our CS Idol's definition http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm but the definition of the japanese term boke which means blurness, or rather how blur the out of focus points are supposed to be.

So what do you think is nice bokeh? Good bokeh or bad bokeh? That's up to you. Does the 70-200 have good bokeh? I don't know but I suppose it does.. but I know the bokeh from the one touch AF 80-200/2.8 can give good background bokeh.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom