Nikkor 50mm F1.8 no meta data when shoot horizontal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camm

Sep 4, 2002
Visit site
Hi,

I've just purchased the above lens and noticed that pictures shot vertically have meta data such is shutter speed, aperture settings but not when it's shot horizontally. JPeg files and not edited. My kit lens does not have this problem and only this prime lens seems to behave this way. Is it suppose to work like that?

ryechua

Mar 4, 2007
Pasir Ris
that's weird... it should still have the data regardless of the camera orientation. i have horizontal/vertical shots but they still have the exif info.

mcn

Oct 6, 2005
if you want, you can tell me more about this wierd problem...

Hi,

I've just purchased the above lens and noticed that pictures shot vertically have meta data such is shutter speed, aperture settings but not when it's shot horizontally. JPeg files and not edited. My kit lens does not have this problem and only this prime lens seems to behave this way. Is it suppose to work like that?

Camm

Sep 4, 2002
Visit site
Thanks mcn. I was actually trying to read the exif using bridge. When photos were taken with kit lens, it gets rotated automatically when previewing in adobe bridge and the exif data still exist even after the file was edited. However, with this prime lens, photos were at its original orientation and needs to do manual rotation and am unable to see any of it's exif data. Do you have any idea why is that so? I've tried with PictureProject and this software is able to read the info though

mcn

Oct 6, 2005
hi Camm,

i don't have a 50mm but last night i looked at all my 20mm as well 55-200mm lens n "bridge" retains all my exif data. hoever, my my images do not auto-rotate... i have to change the orentation myself.

if i hv chance to borrow a 50mm lens this weekend and test your case, i will fedback to you

Thanks mcn. I was actually trying to read the exif using bridge. When photos were taken with kit lens, it gets rotated automatically when previewing in adobe bridge and the exif data still exist even after the file was edited. However, with this prime lens, photos were at its original orientation and needs to do manual rotation and am unable to see any of it's exif data. Do you have any idea why is that so? I've tried with PictureProject and this software is able to read the info though

Scaglietti

Jan 14, 2005
Most likely is the software you use to rotate the photos. It probably did not save the EXIF after the rotation.

BC

calebk

Jul 25, 2006
Clementi
Most likely is the software you use to rotate the photos. It probably did not save the EXIF after the rotation.

BC
From experience, I can agree with that. However, I really can't remember which software it was that caused this.

Now I'm on Mac and use Canon's provided software to auto-rotate. For resizing, I use Automator.

Under all these situations, my EXIF data is still retained.

You may want to download another EXIF viewer and see if the problem is caused to Adobe Bridge (which might be the case, because it's friendly to your kit-lens photos, but not the 50mm photos) or from the photo's EXIF itself.

ExplorerZ

Jan 9, 2006
West
why not try shooting again with the same lens at landscape and portrait orientation and then tell us the finding again? this time without touching the images

Camm

Sep 4, 2002
Visit site
I did not use any other software and did not do any manual rotation nor editing of pics. It just came raw from my camera, and the exif file for this lens cannot be seen from bridge. I changed lens to kit lens and exif files were present. I'll try to reinstall my software tonight and try again. :)

calebk

Jul 25, 2006
Clementi
I did not use any other software and did not do any manual rotation nor editing of pics. It just came raw from my camera, and the exif file for this lens cannot be seen from bridge. I changed lens to kit lens and exif files were present. I'll try to reinstall my software tonight and try again. :)
So it's Bridge that cannot read the EXIF file from the portrait photos shot with the 50mm right?

Try downloading another EXIF reader and see if it works. Could be Adobe Bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.